The retro thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Re: The retro thread

Post by Seraph »

Going with the idea of retro being anything not sitting on store shelves today, I have a tech-ish question for Dreamcast issues.

I decided to fire up my Dreamcast to play a couple of games still on my backlog. It works, but it's bloody loud. I know it is a loud thing, but it seems maybe louder than normal.

A quick search on the intermanets told me some silicone-based lubricant on the laser motor gears and rails should sort that issue out.

However, since I'm going to have to open it up, I may as well deal with another niggling issue my DC has.
My controller ports have a wonky connection. The controller will randomly cut in an out, with a tell-tale BEEEEEEP of the VMU each time it does so.
The fix I've been employing is to have a PAL Dreamcast game case sitting between the controller's plug and the floor, just in front of the Dreamcast. This is slightly altering the angle that the controller plug fits in, causing a better connection.

I'd like to get a better fix happening, but I'm having a real pain getting any info on the intermanets, because all the results I get in my searches are about the other Dreamcast controller issue - the one where the fusing resistor on the controller board dies, and the controller ports don't work at all.

Anyone got an idea of what I should be looking for?
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Not a Dreamcast specific tip, but I always go a bit of metho on a cotton tip across any metal contacts when I'm having connection issues. It's like they just gum up over time. Even if they look clean. It's like a clear human detritus gum.

For example I was recently given a 2nd Dreamcast for free - assumed not working by its owner. It was powering up but no screen. I cleaned the AV lead and port and now it works fine.

Otherwise, and probably more likely it could be collapsed contact pins, like the cartridge connector on 90% of non-working NES's. You can try scratching the flat contact a bit with a scribe to burr them up and maybe get a better contact on the pins, or try bend the pins somehow = harder, and could phuck it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Reading about the dc made me remeber something... does anyone have a spare working control pad?
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

I've got 4 or 5 DC controllers, you're welcome to grab one whenever you can be bothered.

I tried some contact cleaner etc. on the contacts, but it didn't seem to make any difference.
I'm actually wondering if, over time, the metal contacts inside the controller socket have bent (like the connectors in a NES cartridge slot) such that they don't make very good contact. I think you're right, Yoshi Sonic, but as you've mentioned, I'm not too keen on trying to bend the pins back up.

My new fix to keep the controller firmly socketed in the middle of the socket with no wiggle room is quite low-tech - two toothpicks. :D One above the controller plug, one below, pushed in equally so that the plug can't shake around, and stays in the neutral middle-of-socket position that it should be in.

I'm kicking myself for throwing out my old dead DC. The mainboard, GDROM and PSU were all cactus, but I think the controller board was still OK.

I do have a JP DC lying about and I was going to take its controller board last night, but some of the circuitry was slightly different (different resistors on the board, a 2-wire fan power supply instead of 3, etc.) so I decided not to risk it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Not super retro but I got a copy of Luigi's Mansion for the GC. I've wanted it for ages but have had trouble finding it locally for a reasonable price. $30 second hand in decent condition. Manual and disc is fine but the plastic covering around the case looks a bit daggy.

I might look for Geist next.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Not retro as much either but I managed to pick up a mint boxed Gamecube, boxed Wavebird and a couple of games including Eternal Darkness! The person even threw in a free US Xbox 1 with stepdown converter!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Not bad @ xbox 1!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I got sick of thinking about it and just ordered some 3DO games I've been wanting for a while - Flashback and Out of This World. Decided to add Madden on 3DO to the purchase as well.

I've also started a new game of Star Control 2. It's been too long!!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Does the Wii U qualify for this thread yet?
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Candy Arse wrote:I got sick of thinking about it and just ordered some 3DO games I've been wanting for a while - Flashback and Out of This World. Decided to add Madden on 3DO to the purchase as well.

I've also started a new game of Star Control 2. It's been too long!!
Does the 3DO version of that have the original tracker music as well as redbook?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Version_Comparison" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Game Music
The music of the PC version was solely tracker music. In the 3DO version, the orbit and solarsystem music were freshened up, the battle, HyperSpace, Starbase, outfit flagship, and shipyard music were remixed, the QuasiSpace music was replaced, 4 new orbit tracks were added, and the intro, victory and credits music were replaced by the background music of the new videos. For UQM you can enjoy either version. The music from the PC version is contained in the main content package; the 3DO music is available in a separate package. In addition, you may download music specially remixed for UQM by the Precursors.
[edit]Speech
Unlike the PC version, where all dialogs were shown as text, the 3DO version contained spoken voice for all the alien dialogs (about 12 hours in total). There are some small discrepencies between the two, as shown here. In UQM, the dialog text matches the 3DO words, with the actual speech being in an optional package (about 110 MB in size).
Also I just ordered SFC Super Metroid. Fuck paying prices for the PAL version.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Ah, so no old music on the 3DO one. Boo. (but thanks for the link)

I'm tempted to buy it solely for the starmap which t0mby has openly teased me about having two copies of. Prick. I don't believe that came with the PC one (that I'm aware).
Last edited by Shaneus on 17 Sep 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Same problem as you Seraph regarding finnicky Dreamcast controller board, post up if you do discover a fix as I'd love to correct it too. Running similar ghetto fixes for when I play heh, something permanent would be great though.

So N64 controllers... what's the best option outside of the exxy Gamecube-esque mini hori pads? Are the third party knock offs any good or will a moderately used (not thrashed) official pad be better? Finally got around to opening my JP N64 and filing away the "region tabs" if you will, and went to try out my US copy of Ogre Battle to discover I have lost my controller. No idea how that happened.. I keep my game stuff pretty meticulously stored, even found my rumble pak but no pad.

Had a pretty nice N64 collection at one point, but sold it when I was a povo high school student to fund my Dreamcast purchase. Only in the last few years bought another one, mainly because I'd always eyed off Evangelion 64. More recently though acquired a few more American titles which I was keen to play.
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Enjoy the superior 60Hz version of Super Metroid.

Though of course the Amiga had the best version of Flashback.
Reka

Post by Reka »

Madmya wrote:Does the Wii U qualify for this thread yet?
:up:
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/Reka.png[/img]
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yoshi Sonic wrote:Though of course the Amiga had the best version of Flashback.
Let's have this discussion. What makes it the best version?
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

NTSC SNES/SFC, modded PAL unit, or unmodded PAL with adapter?
Yoshi Sonic

The retro thread

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Well IMO it's because the Amiga was the lead version so all others were perceived as merely ports. If I was to be objective I'd say it was the overscan RGB video and obligatory microswitched Starcursor joystick allowing for pixel-perfect jumps. Who needs more than one button anyway.

From memory I think the SNES and MD versions dropped some frames in the rotoscoped animation due to memory constraints, and ran with borders.

The Pc version had WASD controls or an analogue joystick, and bleep bloop sound unless you had a 'Blaster.

I can't actually vouch for the 3DO or MegaCD versions but I remember thinking FMV cutscenes were just a gimmick!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Shaneus wrote:
I'm tempted to buy it solely for the starmap which t0mby has openly teased me about having two copies of. Prick.
Ummm what? I've never played, let alone owned a copy of Star Control or its sequel. I don't even know what sort of game it is.

Prick.

:t0mby:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

t0mby wrote:
Shaneus wrote:
I'm tempted to buy it solely for the starmap which t0mby has openly teased me about having two copies of. Prick.
Ummm what? I've never played, let alone owned a copy of Star Control or its sequel. I don't even know what sort of game it is.

Prick.

:t0mby:
Wait... fuck, I'm sure someone here owned two copies! Could've sworn it was you. Was it Gamma? Or Pat?

Well, at least I'd actually spotted someone in the US selling *only* the manual and starmap from the 3DO version. Sweet.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Re N64 controllers, I sent four of them off about three years ago, to Nintendo, and they replaced the sticks for $10 a piece. I should have done it with my own, instead of for work. What a dick.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

No shit? That's damn cool, surprised that they still have the inventory / bother with older consoles.

Did you just email them or give them a call or something?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yoshi Sonic wrote:Well IMO it's because the Amiga was the lead version so all others were perceived as merely ports. If I was to be objective I'd say it was the overscan RGB video and obligatory microswitched Starcursor joystick allowing for pixel-perfect jumps. Who needs more than one button anyway.

From memory I think the SNES and MD versions dropped some frames in the rotoscoped animation due to memory constraints, and ran with borders.

The Pc version had WASD controls or an analogue joystick, and bleep bloop sound unless you had a 'Blaster.

I can't actually vouch for the 3DO or MegaCD versions but I remember thinking FMV cutscenes were just a gimmick!
You're right about the cut-scenes, I think they're inferior to the original.

I'm with you on this one. Amiga > *. If MCD and 3DO didn't have the "upgraded" cut-scenes this would be a discussion worth having.

Tonight I finally forked out for Chrono Trigger.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

The music in Amiga Flashback shat on every other version I've ever played. It looked nicer too, but the audio really stood out for me. The track on the title screen is killer.
Currently playing: Rayman Legends (Wii U), Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS), Pokemon X (3DS)
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Wow, I had no idea Flashback used Amiga as it's lead platform. Just checked the intro, and holy shit... yeah, that's awesome:
But not as good as the version found on the Mega CD:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quick, find me the easiest, best way for me to play the Amiga one right now. Preferably something that fits well with comfy couch gaming.

Edit: On that note, I fucking love tracker music. I can only imagine how much more I would've been into it had I actually owned an Amiga. The fact that they'd release a two-disk game solely so they could put an intro on one is fucking awesome.