The retro thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: The retro thread

Post by Candy Arse »

They're the Ikea Kallax shelves. Just get them, they're cheap, simple and VERY sturdy.

I'm a neat freak so this room is going to be spot on.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Kid Icarus will look great on that thing I'm sure :wink:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Candy Arse wrote:They're the Ikea Kallax shelves. Just get them, they're cheap, simple and VERY sturdy.

I meant the ones on the wall, already have the Kallax, great unit.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

stanard wrote:Kid Icarus will look great on that thing I'm sure :wink:
Damn right it will.
Froggy wrote:
Candy Arse wrote:They're the Ikea Kallax shelves. Just get them, they're cheap, simple and VERY sturdy.

I meant the ones on the wall, already have the Kallax, great unit.
Oh shit - yep they're from Bunnings. Really sturdy, look neat and well priced for what they are.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Megaman 11 is here and so far all the reviews seems to be positive :

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... 0s-classic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.opencritic.com/game/6208/mega-man-11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After Mighty No.9 people were losing hope that the franchise was doomed because the negative response to it might be interpreted as people not wanting more games like megaman. (it was supposed to be a the spiritual sucessor to megaman) Thankfully capcom has come to their senses and taken the nintendo route of actually giving a fuck about past mascots and older successful franchise of the past which the older gamer recognises as quality games of their period. (hardcore gameplay without the fat, or any of the fat chicks you see in modern hollywood movies due to fat acceptance)
If you were a nintendo guy megaman games were at the top in the platform action genre along with the mario games, the ninja gaiden games (another hardcore series) and castlevania games. These were the apex predators of the platform games because they raped you of power until you got the perfect timing and then raped it back after dozens of retrying levels and learning the tight controls to avoid mistakes and perfecting your character whilst being given limited movement speed, range on attacks, health, and lives. (the goal being to never get hit when playing and studying boss patterns to perfection so you could prove you could finish a level or the whole game without making a single mistake)
Today's games let you do whatever the fuck you want because memory is cheap and the flow of the games has changed from slowly revealing a little bit at a time to more "let's bombard them with FX and gorgeous backdrops" and then forgetting the challenge. (the reason people play games in the first place to get a sense of achieving something)

Hopefully this means capcom also visits older franchises like Final Fight again now that we are getting Streets of Rage 4. There is a genuine thirst for old school gameplay not just old school graphics. I have recently been playing Final Fight 3 again on my 3DS and to me it's the best beat em up of all time. If Yuzo Koshiro had just worked for capcom nobody would even remember Streets of Rage imo. (a series which feels stiff in comparison to final fight where characters have different weight and movement speed and feel unique to each other when they strike the enemy due to carefully balancing of each character) Now that megaman 11 is here and showing that the older gamer is still interested in this stuff, it is time for them to also mine their 16 bit franchises for example it would be cool to get a reimagining of Strider or Demon's Quest. (yes now is the time to do a metroidvania while the craze is still popular in the retro game scene capcom. Take my advice: if nintendo could do remakes of Metroid 2 so well, you can do it as well, you are just lazy)

Other examples of success of retro sequels are the recent Bloodstained Curse of the Moon (good scores on opencritic which is perfect for the 3DS as the replacement for castlevania) :
River City Ransom: Rival Shodown (classic NES highschool beat em up ARPG, the two earlier games are River City Ransom Tokyo Rumble and RCR: Knights of Justice on 3DS)
and Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap (remake of the SMS classic in HD!)
http://www.opencritic.com/game/4144/won ... agons-trap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There will also be a spiritual successor to Wonderboy under the title "Monsterboy" which looks bloody good. (keep an eye on this one I predict a retro hit :up: )
edit:
you could also think of Azure Gunvolt as a spiritual sucessor to megaman zero games on GBA (but since not as many are familiar with megaman zero I didn't think of that at the time, but ex-capcom guys were involved in this series. If you have 3DS or Switch I recommend this game series)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Fallout 2 turns 20.
Eurogamer does an interview with obsidian on the making of the first 2 titles (considered the best PC RPGS of all time)
so hurry up and making a spiritual successor in the same way as Dragon Age was spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate.
Bethesda has dumbed the Fallout franchise down too much and people are waiting for the rebirth of traditional Isometric shit. (see pillars of eternity and divinity original sin games as examples of this. Now that console gamers can play this shit there is an audience of classsic WRPG genre on the peasant platforms)

People should replay Fallout New Vegas again. Although Bethesda are good with world building side of RPG, Obsidian had better system in their 3D fallout game and characters that were interesting. (in the flooded world of RPG genre that is increasingly important)
Modern Bethesda games lack consequences and choices.

When RPG went too mainstream, it suffered from what I call the "the next gen disease" of making the world pretty and immersive but being dumbed-down for kids too much.
RagingGoldenEagle explains what happens to games as the go from being made 'games made by gamers for gamers' to 'games funded by investors telling the creators what to make based on business reasons and risk avoidance' which results in popular franchises slowly losing their appeal to their core fanbase (and the reason why japanese game developers are making comeback again as they never betray the original vision, only adapt to changing times with slight modifications to their systems over time to not pis off fans too much - see monster hunter world as good example - it's still the same shit in gameplay but updated for home platforms on a new engine)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Just HOLY FUCKEN SHIT!!!

Been watching Joel's videos over the last couple of years, he has spent the last few months building his extension to his house and now he has finished. His collection is just crazy. Can't believe he is not a million youtube subscriber. He recently invited WWE wrestlers from the up,up,down,down channel, hopefully this will get him more exposure that he deserves.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Damn, love that arcade. Sounds like he's in Australia? Need to do a home invasion :lol:
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Man, that house. I can't imagine how much he has spent.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I picked up an 8bitDo DIY mod kit for my Megadrive controller to connect the old thing to my phone or whatever by USB.

It's not bad, but the Mode button actuator was a fraction of a whillometre too long, so it didn't 'click'. After waving some sandpaper in its general direction, it's perfect. My only gripe is that it uses a MicroUSB connector with a slightly longer than normal shaft. This means that you can't use a regular MicroUSB cable thanks to the location of the port, and the extended shaft makes the included cable more fragile.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

guttermouth wrote:
Just HOLY FUCKEN SHIT!!!

Been watching Joel's videos over the last couple of years, he has spent the last few months building his extension to his house and now he has finished. His collection is just crazy. Can't believe he is not a million youtube subscriber. He recently invited WWE wrestlers from the up,up,down,down channel, hopefully this will get him more exposure that he deserves.
It's probably the algorithm. It used to be that you had to make content daily to be seen. Then it changed to something different: you had to make long videos that people watch all the way to the end.
It's probably something different now.

It's a shame arcades are dead. I suggest game companies change the business model so that instead of creating arcade machines for businesses to place in their store, they focus on bringing the machine to individuals and deliver the games to your garage and you rent the cabinets and pay yearly like xbox live or something like that. Let's say capcom release Street Fighter 6 and it has online play with others around the world. Why not instead of porting to home console, they have another option where you rent the cabinet for a year so you don't have to buy an arcade stick for your console and that way you get the genuine arcade cabinet experience right in the home? With the disposable income of adult gamers today they need to think about this. Everyone wants a cabinet as it is the way people prefer to play the games on. No need to wait in line at the public arcade, and no need to buy the console to play the game. Just get the cabinet directly delivered to your home and you rent the machine for as long as needed. (the guy in the video obvious has virtually unlimited space but this isn't an option for all people)

Anyway it's only a matter of time the arcades live in our heads and machines meld with the mind and enslave us to them. There is no going back. (unless you are prepared to go against the machine which wants to stop you at every turn - I'm only interested in the sex robots not implants)
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

F for Fake wrote:Damn, love that arcade. Sounds like he's in Australia? Need to do a home invasion :lol:
Yeah just lives outside of Melbourne in the sticks somewhere. He apparently has more arcade machines in storage. He is also listed in the Guinness book of records for having the world's largest videogame collection.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'll just leave this here, shall I?

http://www.analogue.co/mega-sg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

guttermouth wrote:
Just HOLY FUCKEN SHIT!!!

That's incredible!

I love how he has tried to mimic his childhood, like his childhood arcade and his Mum's first colour TV etc.

And that he has his whole family involved.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

This is why the second hand market is so important. Every time I hear: "everything must go digital. The retail business is holding us all back. Damn you primitive savages who are stuck in the past. Why can't you be like us and embrace the future technology?" I just roll my eyes and place them back into the sex robot's sockets.

The feeling of touching things and the look of old things is what makes old stuff superior to just playing emulated stuff on your shit mobile phone.
We have to preserve the past. Who is going to remember the less known games like Suikoden (ps 1 game that was practically ignored thanks to final fantasy 7) or Super Turrican (now that these companies are dead or in Konami's case they have decided to suck)

I'm glad some of these old games are making a comeback in the form of sequels (streets of rage 4 could bring back beat em ups from the grave) and remakes(monster boy is the reboot of Wonder Boy). My dream is to see if capcom can do HD remaster of street fighter III third strike in the same way they released Duck Tales HD remaster last gen. The megaman 11 release looks to be a sucess. Do the "CG model pretending to be a 2d hand drawn sprite" thing that arc system works have done with the Guilty Gear and Dragonball Fighter Z games please. (keep it consistent with an anime look but with the buttery smooth animation that SFIII was known for)

You know what I would like to see? Sega tries to make a one on one beat em up like street fighter but uses the streets of rage universe as the base. Because they were so obsessed with 3D fighters in arcades they seem to have skipped the 2D fighter. I didn't like that. Saturn was a 2D machine but sega never really made a game that could recognisably be a Street Fighter rival the way SNK did during the 90s. It just seems like a missed opportunity to me. VF is dead now but Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat still lives on.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

If you guys remember Top Gear on the SNES/Megadrive (also Lotus Espirit Turbo Challenge on Amiga 500) there is a cool little clone of this on the 3DS eshop:
Those of you who were fans of "sega 3d classics" (high quality ports of older 80s sega arcade games like after burner, outrun, super hang on, Space Harrier etc) might be into this. There was another game I remember playing in the arcade called "Chase HQ" where you had to chase down (rather than outrun) the opponent and you could bash into them to death. Someone needs to do a spiritual successor to that.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Checked the playstation store and noticed this was released recently:
https://store.playstation.com/en-au/pro ... C000000001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^
It was my fave neogeo beat 'em up back in the day. :up: Buttery smooth animation, combo flexibility of a MVC game with the ability to launch people into the air and follow them with jump kick and jump slash to rack up combo hits, and overall cool character design which would fit right into a samurai shodown game. (and they fight zombies and demons which are my favourite things to fight) Perfect timing. Right at the same time capcom released its beat em up collection. Anyone who is into golden axe, dragon's crown, knights of the round, (one of the best hack n slash beat em ups of all time) the final fight and streets of rage series: you need to play this game if you didn't get the chance in the arcade. You won't be disappointed. One thing I miss is the dimensional shifting from the early games. IT was the thing that made it distinct and now it feels less like Army of Darkness and more like Big Trouble in Little China.
This, final fight 3, and Double Dragon Advance have a very fast paced and fluid feel to them that makes replay very satisfying.
Would love to see a sequel to Sengoku 3 but using celshaded visuals.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

unfnknblvbl wrote:I'll just leave this here, shall I?

http://www.analogue.co/mega-sg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looking forward to mine arriving. Everything these guys create is brilliant.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Yes! I'll be getting one, but not right away. Make sure you let us know your thoughts on it!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Reviews are going up, and everybody seems to be blowing their loads over it.
I'm hoping they can work out a way to get it to play 32X games.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Patiently sitting around waiting for mine to ship.

On one hand I'm really excited for it, on the other hand I already own an OSSC plus a modded MD which does the same thing.

Maybe this is yet another sign that I have a hoarding problem?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Also have any of you chaps had experience with an EverDrive? I'm thinking about it...well a few of them really :lol:
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Love this thread. Once I have some disposable income again likely to go on a retro tear.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I've only heard good things about the EverDrive. The only game it doesn't support is Virtua Racing, and there's the *possibility* that this may get supported thanks to the onboard FPGA chip.

Bit pricey, but I'm also going to get one thanks to the ex chucking all my consoles & games.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm ok with Virtua Racing not being supported. I've got the PS2 Sega Ages version of the game which is easily the best home version I've ever played.

I'm thinking I want to grab an EverDrive for MD, SMS, NES and SNES.