The retro thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

The retro thread

Post by Candy Arse »

Love to read about retro stuff. Let's get some good links in here.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is my favourite, really love to go to this part of the site - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/alpha.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and read about the various games there.

http://retro-treasures.blogspot.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - to see what's new on Ebay
Last edited by Candy Arse on 17 May 2012 09:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Re: Top retro gaming sites?

Post by Shaneus »

http://www.nintendo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - All their tech is last-gen, it's a total flashback!

[Click to see hidden content]
Just kidding, I never visit there.
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Oooh nice links Candy.

I was pretty obsessive with retro collecting for a while, and then after I basically ran out of stuff to buy I cooled off on it. What got me back into following things was reading Retro Gamer magazine, which is a UK magazine I have been paper copies of for a while. I've now shifted over to reading it on the iPad as it's a lot cheaper.

It tends to focus a lot on the UK computer scene (Speccy etc) which is interesting but doesn't hold much relevance to Aussies. Since getting the iPad I've actually purchased the hardware collection copies which never made it to Aus in paper form. The info is of course all over the net but they're well written and interesting historically.

The Assembler forums I've been lurking on for years. A lot of very impressive collections on there, and it tends to attract people who aspire to owning really uncommon things. http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ran my own collecting info site for a while (I think you even contributed at one time Candy) but stopped it around 2005 when free time became an issue. It still shows up as one of the top results when you search for the Bit Corp Gamate, and the main screenshot for the Hartung Gamemaster Wikipedia entry is nicked from my site as well (which I only found out a few weeks ago). I won't link to it as the CMS it runs on is partially buggered.. :P
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

http://www.abandonia.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mostly free abandonware
van

Post by van »

Wot about retro gamer? Pretty well known I thought.

http://www.retrogamer.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
emptyvessel

Top retro gaming sites?

Post by emptyvessel »

Already mentioned that van, but didn't link the site. I love the magazine but aren't a massive fan of the site.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yeah I don't like the site at all. Magazine is fantastic although these days I generally just wait and buy the big compilation issues.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Man I miss Retro Gamer Mag. Can't seem to find it locally. Digital copies don't cut it.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
emptyvessel

Top retro gaming sites?

Post by emptyvessel »

I could only ever find the Retro Gamer mag at the newsagents at Northland in Melbourne. However now I've got the iPad I'd rather the cheapness and convenience of having issues available when they come out, rather than several months later with occasional skipped issues. I do prefer having paper copies though.

In other news, I'm back to eBaying for retro stuff after a long break, and aren't a fan of the fact they got rid of the retro/vintage category.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Mag Nation sells Retro Gamer, I've also found a number of select newsagents around Melbourne that do as well.
Yoshi Sonic

Top retro gaming sites?

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Not just about gaming, but I've always found http://www.retrothing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to be a good read.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

I don't read magazines I just like to go onto youtube to watch the games being played through emulators.

Especially old amiga stuff.

Hired Guns. Would love to see a sequel to this on 3ds:
People in the old days were so easy to please.

Someone should raise money through the kickstarter thing to make a sequel.

Maybe the japanese can clone this idea for themselves and give it a more anime inspired feel for today's kiddies? (brighten it up, make it less scary, give us the ability to switch from 4 guys to another 4 guys in real time for a total of 8 people in the party.)

another game from the amiga days with creepy atmosphere:
lots of reptilians in this. The draconians rule the world. This is like the elder scrolls for the amiga days.
After watching this walkthrough I may go back and play this again.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Cool another thread ruined, thanks CrackHED.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

GameHED wrote:People in the old days were so easy to please.
Of course they were because no one counted pixels and frame rates back then. It's a different generation of gamers now.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

t0mby wrote:
GameHED wrote:People in the old days were so easy to please.
Of course they were because no one counted pixels and frame rates back then. It's a different generation of gamers now.
You know the SNES had more colours than the MD, yeah? But then again, MD had blast processing...
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

All I cared was the MD had Virtua Racing.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
emptyvessel

Top retro gaming sites?

Post by emptyvessel »

The NES vs Master System and SNES vs Mega Drive wars were brutal when I was in Primary School and High School.

Better graphics versus no slowdown was the SNES vs MD standard. Oh and of course being school there were infinite references to the sexualities of Mario and Sonic thrown in as logical arguments.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

There's merit in both arguments with MD vs SNES, but with NES v SMS it's a no-contest IMO, NES by a landslide.
emptyvessel

Top retro gaming sites?

Post by emptyvessel »

Agreed but school ground fanboy wars don't care for logic :)

From the PS2/XBox/GC generation I bought every console as I had the money to spend, but prior to that I was firmly in the Nintendo camp. I even had the N64 as my only console for ages until I managed to acquire a PSX for uni-student cheap.

Now I think I've got more Sega consoles than Nintendo ones due to multiples.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote:There's merit in both arguments with MD vs SNES, but with NES v SMS it's a no-contest IMO, NES by a landslide.
Believe it or not I couldn't stand either. I was well into C64 at that stage and when I finally sold the beast that was the Commodore 64 I tried renting a SMS. First thing I thought was 'Is this it?' I'll admit I had a bit of enjoyment with Mario World/Land/Brothers 3 whatever it was called on the NES. But most of the titles were shite on both consoles. And expensive. Jesus, after coming from the C64 with its $30 titles and then seeing console versions of similar games for double the price, lol. No wank you.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Nes over sms? You be crazy!

Enjoy you 8 shades of a single colour on your nes!

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Not talking specs, talking games.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I can't really argue the point... i skipped the sms and went straight to the md. I never really played the nes or snes. I was a sega fanboy. The sms had wonderboy and phantasy star though, and they were some pretty big titles. Dragon's trap is one of the best games ever made.

But then you have Zelda, Mario, and some amazing titles like ninja gaiden and rescue the embassy (pictured above).

In my memory the two systems do as well as each other, whether it be technical or the franchises.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I started on a second hand Atari 2600 before my Mum bought me an SMS 2. It was purely economical. At the time Nintendo wouldn't allow their games to be rented at video stores and to buy a new cart was a good $50 and upwards (something a single Mum couldn't afford) so we went the SMS route. Best thing about the SMS were there were some undeniable classics to be had - Alex Kidd in Miracle World (best free game ever), all three Wonderboy games, Kung Fu Kid, all three Sonics and Psycho Fox. I then moved on to a Megadrive but wanted the SNES so bad after seeing a demo of Super Mario World. Loved the MD but I was firmly in Nintendo's camp for the 16 bit generation. Love the retro generations - I remember playing Mechwarrior on a Saturday morning on my friend's Epson x286 and thinking it was the best thing next to God.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

For me, the NES(/FC) is generally one step too far back, when it comes to reliving old gems.
I could probably count on one hand, the number of NES games I'd be able to sit down, play, and actually enjoy as much as I used to as a kid.
The SNES(/SFC) era is my personal favourite, and it's still something I regularly go back to.

As an aside, I do wonder if most people's favourite "retro" generation is simply the generation that was in its prime when they were 12-16 years old.