Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: The retro thread

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

The white cabinets you have the consoles in, are they the Kallax shelves from Ikea?

Been thinking of using them myself in the home theatre, pretty much the exact same way you are (although I won't have a second one with the retro consoles). My only concern is how open they are at the back and how to go about hiding the cables as much as possible. Look forward to seeing how your work in progress .... progresses :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yes they are - they're fucking brilliant.

I'm going to buy another row of shelving and brackets (Bunnings) to make it 3 rows on each wall, as well as get bookends so I can strategically place some fav/rare comics and some select retro gaming magazines.

I've also got an electrician friend coming out to help with top tier cable management through the room to really make it look neat and tidy. There's a closet in the house purpose-built to store all my console boxes neatly and safely...stacked to the ceiling :lol: We got the ceilings 300mm higher than standard which really helps with all this.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Games room looking awesome Candy. :up:

Not bad for a dirty pirate. :lol:
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Very impressive, CA.

:unbiased:
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Yoshi Sonic wrote:Splendid setup emptyvessel. An effective setup is difficult to achieve. I was dissatisfied with my last effort and it started getting dusty so I've packed it up again.

Lol @ the noob who trades a SNES copy of Chrono Trigger for a DS cart. I'm reminded of my mate whose now ex-wife made him sell his XA GT for a new Sigma wagon.
Well I didn't trade it in, I just sold it off when I got the DS edition.
The thing is when new versions of things come out, and they are better (in terms of translation, extra content etc) the older version's value to me is really only for nostalgia reasons. It's like comparing VHS copy of your fave movie to HD remaster.

I get why collectors want both but the superior one logically should be the definitive version (unless there is a downgrade somewhere).

Chrono Trigger is a popular JRPG classic so I can see why collectors want the original. But fans of the game (who are not necessarily collectors) will get a better experience playing the DS version.

There is actually a thread discussing this on resetera:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/what%E ... ion.20472/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (note how they mostly agree that the nintendo DS copy is the definitive release with the extra content apart from those who hate smaller screen)

On a related note there is going to be a Radiant Historia remake (if you are a fan of chrono trigger this game is for you) and many are pissed that the new version of this great DS classic is worse than the art for the old game. LOL So it DOES happen. ie new version not being superior to orignals despite modern tech. But even then the people re-releasing new version let you get the original art as DLC :P

Just out of curiosity because this is a retro thread, would you guys buy physical copy of secret of mana 1+2+3 if it were to be released on switch locally? I think it's time all the fans pressured to have this on Eshop at least. Don't Really care that much about the new Secret of Mana remake with 3d graphics that is on the sony. Maybe because I am a sprites fanboy.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/want-th ... w-you-care" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

related:
remake of Radiant Historia trailer (coming soon) + Opening vid + review
^3DS release will contain more content than original DS one. Fans of classic jrpg like chronotrigger should check this out if you missed out the first time.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Just pre-ordered a Super NT! :up:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Reviews of Super NT are out:
Modern Vintage Gamer
Published on Feb 26, 2018
The Analogue Super Nt is an FPGA based Super NES console that plays all your favorite SNES games via HDMI. It boasts a very high accuracy of compatibility. It costs $190 and is geared for the enthusiast that wants the best possible system.

My Analogue Super Nt arrived 2 weeks ago and my unit broke down almost immediately. In this video i talk about my experience with the Super Nt, Analogues customer service and more.

Check out my FULL review of this system including a last minute edit that shows off the new 4.3 Firmware Update !
early adopters always get the shaft. Wait for patches.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

My Super NT arrived yesterday - holy shit this thing is fucking amazing.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

*Enjoy your 3 days off
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Jasper wrote:*Enjoy your 3 days off
Thanks guys, appreciate it :)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

No need, they're doing a fine job removing your shit :)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Nope - you're my bitch. Know your place in the food chain, beta boy :lol:
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Jasper wrote:And there we go...Cletilce & DJ Lestat continue to delete my wall of text/jpg/gif posts (even though I only ever post it in retaliation), and yet Lard Arse's instigating wall of text/jpg/gif posts still remain and are NEVER deleted! :roll:

This fat piece of shit has been at it for over HALF A YEAR with him posting the same shit over and over and over again, and you two fuckwits continue to allow it! :wanker:

Fuck you admin, you incompetent cunts...no wonder The Games Ranch is DEAD and hardly anyone bothers to post here anymore, because virtually everyone has abandoned this forum. :roll:
How rude! I've had Candy on ignore for several years because we got drunk one night and...anyway, I can't see his posts. I don't have you on ignore though, rocco and I do see what you're doing to the threads I read.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

So you're suggesting I be made a mod so I can delete your shit?

Excellent idea! I'll call the guys tomorrow :)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Cool story bro. I look forward to deleting that shit tomorrow :)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Which will quickly be deleted as it is unwarranted spam :up:
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

So retro stuff hey.

Finally got a VGA box for my DC only to find out my Samsung TV is lame and doesn't like certain VGA signals. It's a known issue apparently. So getting a proper VGA to HDMI converter now. Hopefully it works and I can start playing the old girl again. Might finally finish Shenmue 2 :o

Although still feels weird calling the DC retro...
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Jasper wrote:Go for it... :)

A piece of shit like you running a piece of shit forum is a perfect fit! :up:

This forum is run by a pair of dodgy administrators who are so fucking glib, they don't even know that the demise of Games Ranch is borderline identical to the demise of PlayNOW! Ilce was a cunty power-mad administrator scaring away members, and DJ Fusion was the lazy lackey who did nothing but sit back and watch. :lol:

Fast-forward to Games Ranch and we have the exact same situation, except Cletus is the cunty power-mad administrator (editing selfish's posts so he left the forum, banning BigSwingingUdders - who was a gaming industry insider for fuck's sake...for absolutely no reason so he left the forum, years ago secretly giving you the administrative power to fuck around and alter other member's threads/posts, etc.), and Lestat is the lazy lackey who does nothing but sit back and watch this forum dwindle more and more into probably the most boring gaming forum in the world. :roll:

There's like maybe only a dozen members who actually post here (99% of which are in their 40's - so absolutely no young blood at all), and of all people - this forum's very own administrators are the ones who are explicitly responsible for having long term members piss off to never come back again, resulting in Games Ranch's current pathetic comatose state. :cry:
Without getting into an argument over who's to blame, he is right about the number of good posters who have left over the years :( And no newbies have joined :(
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Didn't they turn off new members after the influx of spam bots?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I think it was due to spambots. We're in a sealed room.

stanard wrote:So retro stuff hey.

...still feels weird calling the DC retro...
It does seem odd. SDT lasted for such a long time.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

SDT? Sega Dream Time?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I ordered an OSSC. Can't wait to test this thing out!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

OK so the OSSC has officially made my CRT redundant - this thing is the real fucking deal.

It works with component, SCART RGB and VGA connections.

Quite a few of my consoles already spit out component/VGA, the others I'm ordering a stack of custom-made SCART RGB cables for.

As a result I've done some redecorating in the (console) games room already...

Testing out the configuration of the room and will wait until I can test everything when the SCART cables arrive before I go nuts with cable management at the back.

You can see the OSSC sitting on top of the speaker. It's a sturdy little thing that works an absolute treat and I can't recommend it enough.

Lag is as good/bad as the display you hook it up to. I've got that small monitor on the longer run for playing fighting games seriously as even though the big screen is good for low latency, the small BenQ is fucking brilliant.

I'm also going to put one more row of shelves above the OG Xbox and Dreamcast games (above the big TV). I need to wait for a builder mate of mine to come around and basically do it for me as he custom-cut and designed the shelves themselves to look and feel good with no sharp edges. You can buy the shelving system from Bunnings but as it is off the shelf it looks a bit rough so my mate beautified it for me since I'm a complete princess.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:The white cabinets you have the consoles in, are they the Kallax shelves from Ikea?

Been thinking of using them myself in the home theatre, pretty much the exact same way you are (although I won't have a second one with the retro consoles). My only concern is how open they are at the back and how to go about hiding the cables as much as possible. Look forward to seeing how your work in progress .... progresses :up:
In these new pics I just posted, if you look behind the Kallax shelves you can see on the floor the rectangular tubes - an electrician of mine put them in for me and they're big enough to hold a fuckload of cable but not so big that they dominate the space.

Once I've got the setup exactly how I want it (of close enough) the electrician will come back over and wire it all up through the tubes.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

That is fucking sweet as. I love that set up. The best part is how uncluttered you have it, if it were me it'd start that way but quickly descend into cord chaos.

Looking at that, I was thinking of making some shelves like that at home, are they an ikea job or where about did you get them from? They are a great size depthwise, might be a Easter project to think about.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!