The retro thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: The retro thread

Post by Candy Arse »

klee123 wrote:Anyone here ever dared to venture into the world of playing Arcade PCBs at home via Superguns?
I haven't, but a friend of mine has a great setup that allows him to play CPS1 and CPS2 games via his consolised Supergun (+ OSSC).

Seems really good.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Candy Arse wrote:
klee123 wrote:Anyone here ever dared to venture into the world of playing Arcade PCBs at home via Superguns?
I haven't, but a friend of mine has a great setup that allows him to play CPS1 and CPS2 games via his consolised Supergun (+ OSSC).

Seems really good.

I've just recently got into Superguns and have fallen into the black hole of arcade board collecting.

Been collecting CPS2, Taito F3 and other misc boards and yeah, it's a massive moneysink.

The next step is to eventually get enough space at home for a Sega or Taito Candy cab with proper arcade Sanwa/Semitsu parts.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Games room update - have been working on upgrading the lighting to really make the room pop.

Picked up some Philips Hue lights as well as some small lights to put on the ceiling of each of the cube slots. I keep those lights set to white because they just work with and enhance whatever colour is coming up from behind the Kallax units.
126317551_10158987631537812_4434060746672506195_o.jpg
127190177_10158987631542812_9000338849230992126_o.jpg
126513737_10158987631547812_7084410074124562763_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Is that your living room?
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Dedicated games room. It's an incredible collection.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

The only thing I'm curious about is how the heck the shelves withstand all that weight. Games can be very heavy lol
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

A good friend of mine is a builder, helped me secure a very industrial shelving solution through Bunnings and he drilled them into the studs. Each shelf can hold literally hundreds of kilos.

There is no way I have the brains or the physical ability to do something like that. I just get the ideas then pay someone else to make them reality :lol:
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

It's a great setup.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Jeebus Candy....
When are we all getting invited to get drunk and wreck the joint. :P
Don't you worry about and/or how do you deal with dust?
Makes me wonder when I broke from that same path. I'm pretty sure it was when the last Commodore Amiga I had wouldn't boot. I think that was the breaking point for me. No more retro consoles.

Meanwhile back in cheap chinese handheld emulation land....
I've had a little bit of time with it.
The Retroid Pocket OS was an absolute pile of shit.
So I'm back just booting into Android OS, and using Retroarch, and it's wonderful.
I was playing Megadrive Sonic on it and its glorious.
Nice sharp, bright, colourful screen and good sound output.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I didn't have the space for all my stuff so just slowly sold it or gave it away. All I have left now is a Sega SC-3000 computer, about 10 cartridges, my launch Dreamcast, HotD and Gun and a small collection of PSone games including a few of Squares non rpg games like Ergheiz, Tonal 2, Bushido Blade (factory sealed) and Einhander.

Nice set up Candy.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

I only just saw the photos from Candy Arse... what a f**king awesome collection! :up:
klee123

Post by klee123 »

My current lame supergun setup and collection:

Taito F3 board connected to my Minigun Supergun powered via ATX PSU connected to an Framemeister XRGB upscaler. Controller currently us a DB15 to SNES adapter connected to a 8Bitdo SN30 2.4GHZ Wireless Controller.

CPS2 Boards of Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Street Fighter Zero 3 and Alien vs Predator

Ambrose Burnside

Not sure where else to ask this, feels weird to post about PS2 games in a retro thread, makes me feel old, but how much do you reckon the original, uncensored PS2 versions of the GTA games would be?

Last time I checked, you couldn't sell them on eBay.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I have the original uncensored copy of GTA III on PS2. Never thought of selling it. 2001 was a great year gaming-wise.
Ambrose Burnside

Same, don't want to sell it, just curious.

Vice City and San Andreas were also censored after their original release. I have the PS2 originals of them too.

2001 was amazing. Crazy to think those games will be 20 years old this year.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

My mate sold me a copy of GTAIII a couple of days before release. I don't know how but I knew nothing about it at the time, had no idea how it would blow up. Think I sold my PS2 shortly after.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yeah you won't find much on Ebay about it, maybe check the various Facebook gaming buy/swap/sell groups?
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Is this what people are calling "first print" on Ebay?

e.g. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grand-Theft ... _cvip=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grand-Theft ... _cvip=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They went for $700 & $500 but they're purportedly brand new and factory sealed.
Ambrose Burnside

I'm assuming so. Neither of those examples are the Australian version though (no old school OFLC rating box). Which I assume would be worth more given the whole pulled from shelves and RC saga.

Good to know either way. My copy isn't new and sealed, but everything is there including the map. Like I said, not interested in selling, was just curious because once upon a time I did put it on eBay, and they pulled it after a few hours because it was RC and therefore illegal to sell :lol:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

My latest project is called Pimp My Dreamcast.

Have had my Dreamcast modded for HDMI out, as well as the GD drive replacement.

All the games now run off an SD card.

As a nice little bonus, Atomiswave games have been homebrew ported to DC so they're on the SD card too.

Pics/videos to come, will be having fun over the weekend testing it all out.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

which ODE have you gone with? I'm tempted to buy a Saturn and Dreamcast and a MODE from TerraOnion.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

t0mby wrote:My mate sold me a copy of GTAIII a couple of days before release. I don't know how but I knew nothing about it at the time, had no idea how it would blow up. Think I sold my PS2 shortly after.
I bought it on a whim on the way home from work after the infamous garden stunt. Knew nothing about the game other than there was some buzz, figured I was about to lose my job, and just went "fuck it" and picked up a copy on release. More than once I've looked up the release date of GTAIII as a point of reference when working out the timeline for my resume. 2001. What a year.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Yeah, the atomiswave ports have been quite awesome.

KOFXI
Fist of the North Star
Metal Slug 6
Rumble Fish 1 and 2

Man, the DC died way too early. It would have been the perfect console for these ports back then.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Way too early. It really was the first console where the visuals were truly timeless across the board, wasn't it?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I went with one like this - https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/8794600 ... _organic=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm looking at a MODE to use with my Saturn. Out to the TV via the OSSC and we're good to go!