Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: The retro thread

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Hercy wrote: 10 Mar 2022 10:53 pm I'd buy the cushion if the buttons weren't mis-labelled :down:
Dammit, I didn't notice that. :down:
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So, I really like the Retroid Pocket 2+, but the 3.5" screen is a bit too small for my 42yo eyes. I've also missed out on getting a cheaper Ayn Odin pro.

To remedy this, the Retroid Pocket 3 has just been announced and is up for pre-order. 4.7" screen, 1334x750 resolution (weird), much faster CPU (well, same CPU as the 2+), a bit more memory, better controls, and a newer (but still old) version of Android for $130usd.

Seems like a good deal, so I've placed my order!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'm not sure if this really counts as "retro" but some mad lads have decompiled Sonic Mania and ported it to Android. It only works on Snapdragon devices for the moment (and setting up is a bit annoying), but it's a good start.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Alright so I've been looking at the Mega SG since the mega drive 2 mini might not be able to get sourced. I'm confused, is there anything physical around for MegaCD emu? Or say, I have an existing mega-cd 2, if I put that into a mega-sg can I then run mega-cd games from the mega-sd or it needs a disc?

Looks like Mega Drive Mini 2 is gonna get a European release now, so we should be able to get them but still no links to buy it or anything. I've found now my kids are a bit older and into gaming it's some weird thing where we were always about better graphics etc but they are happy with Roblox and then absolutely loved the Mega Drive mini 1. Growing up in a world where state of the art graphics is just a given I guess takes any excitement out of pushing for better and it's back to gameplay? One can hope as then the futures solid in 20 years when they are making games.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Froggy wrote: 26 Aug 2022 04:41 pm Alright so I've been looking at the Mega SG since the mega drive 2 mini might not be able to get sourced. I'm confused, is there anything physical around for MegaCD emu? Or say, I have an existing mega-cd 2, if I put that into a mega-sg can I then run mega-cd games from the mega-sd or it needs a disc?
You have two options:

1) TerraOnion MegaSD. This comes in one of those massive Virtua Racing carts. I think there's some kind of weird licensing thing you have to do to get updates though, but that might have been changed in the years since it launched. 250 Eurodollarydoos

2) Krikzz Mega Everdrive Pro. Comes in a standard cartridge. I have one of these and it's great. It's surprisingly heavy, like it's weighed down by its own greatness. No weirdness with updating the firmware or anything. It even has its own version of Doom! $200 american buckeroonies. They're out of stock though, and given that the company is Ukrainian.... who knows when it will be back in stock.
EDIT: it also runs some NES games. That's some black magic there!

They also both do MegaCD in FPGA, and support Virtua Racing (emulated SVP with an onboard ARM CPU, since there's no FPGA core for it yet).
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

We really not getting the Mega Drive Mini 2 here?
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Ordered it from Amazon uk this morning and it worked. Had a look at the other two there, just not sure at the moment to get one of them too due to either world events and maybe more minis to come from official channels. I fully expect a Saturn/Dreamcast attempt soon.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

unfnknblvbl wrote: 06 Aug 2022 09:38 am So, I really like the Retroid Pocket 2+, but the 3.5" screen is a bit too small for my 42yo eyes. I've also missed out on getting a cheaper Ayn Odin pro.

To remedy this, the Retroid Pocket 3 has just been announced and is up for pre-order. 4.7" screen, 1334x750 resolution (weird), much faster CPU (well, same CPU as the 2+), a bit more memory, better controls, and a newer (but still old) version of Android for $130usd.

Seems like a good deal, so I've placed my order!
It finally arrived on Wednesday last week. I'm quite liking it, but mine has a weird issue where if it's on for a long enough time, all the sensors stop working, and performance tanks. Nobody else seems to be experiencing it, so hopefully it's something that will be fixed in an update..

It's nice to be able to play PSP games again, since my machine's battery died years ago. The larger screen (compared to the RP2 et al) is much easier on my eyes, too.

I might still put an order in for an Ayn Odin Pro, though. A substantial leap in power and a still bigger screen...
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So, the Mega SG and Super NT are up for preorder in anticipation of a final production run. I recommend them to everyone. If you want one, now is the time, even if there's a massive lead time on them...
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Goy my mini Mega Drive 2 today. Haven't had a chance to set it up but damn the box is tiny!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Would love a SuperNT but the price is eye watering at the current exchange rate. $289 USD makes it $454 AUD odd. One want too far.

ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Yeahhhh it's a bit much at the moment, but I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of my Mega SG. It really is the best way to play the original carts. Or to use a flash cart on.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I keep coming back to it, wanting to pull the trigger knowing I'll have FOMO later but that exchange rate is brutal...
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Vince wrote: 31 Oct 2022 06:57 pm Goy my mini Mega Drive 2 today. Haven't had a chance to set it up but damn the box is tiny!
Yeah got mine yesterday, is great. Didn't realise it was only one six button controller so lucky I had some controllers from the original mini or the kids were gonna lose it.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

So I resuscitated my Saturn. Had it with me since I moved out of home and when I got my house I put in dust proof attic and had it up there since. Seems that paid off as it actually turned on, wasn't sure what to expect. Changed the battery and hooked up the rf cable thing and go a sorta signal to the TV so I knew it was at least booting up.

Ordered a new controller and a HDMI upscaler from The Gamesmen and a Pseudo Saturn cartridge from ali express. Once that all came and booted and I had it working I got a DVD burner from umart and was playing Metal Slug in no time. I actually couldn't believe that was on the Saturn, it looks fantastic on the OLED, infact I don't remember the games looking this good. Got into some Virtua Fighter 2 and stuff after that with the kids and then Deep Fear. Never heard of it but turns out it was the last PAL release, a great game so far, would have loved it back in the day.

Only thing now is not sure if it's worth getting one of the really good upscalers, got the Hyperkin at the moment but I wanted a HDRad2X but they don't seem to ever be available?

Not sure my lens will last that long either, a few times I've had to clean it and prod it with rubbing alcohol to get it to read again but it seems a cheap replacement is easy to get.

All up it was about $140 to get it up and going:
$50 HDMI box
$40 controller
$26 portable DVD burner
$25 for the cd spindal
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Well done! You should check out a Satiator ODE :)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Yeah looked at that but the pricing at the moment (maybe it's always expensive) was about 390 bucks AUD excluding delivery. That was to prohibitive hence I went down the cd burner route, I figure I could burn out a shitload of lasers at that price and come out in front for years as I saw some replacements going for roughly $15 bucks excl shipping on ebay/aliexpress. That will more than likely be the route I go down when I try and restore the ol Dreamcast, that's gonna be an expensive one though as I definitely need to fix the power and other things on it as mine was overheating last time I used it and replacing the GDRom if that dies I think is a no no.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I think in between my next project will be a Sinden but jesus reading up on those light guns is like console wars on accessories.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

The Satiator appeals to me simply for the ease of use. No soldering, no chips, hell, not even any screwdrivers required. I didn't realise they are so expensive, though. Oof!

There's been some amazing progress made on PSX & Saturn FPGA implementations recently, so I wonder if Analogue co. are going to come out with their own versions of those machines. Could be tricky given the BIOS requirements..
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Interesting timing for this revival, just last week I decided to drag out my Saturn and Dreamcast and am looking to get them back into action. The Saturn in particular, it holds a special place in my heart. I've just found out that Grandia and Shining Force 3 Scenarios 2 and 3 have been translated now as well. I see Saturn games have really gone up in value too, as opposed to my 360 games which I'm looking at selling - worthless.

That Satiator is interesting, good to have as a backup incase of a drive death. I'm more interested in that organic feel though, CDs into the drive! Gonna have to get one of those upscalers you mentioned Froggy, and a cartridge of some kind.

If I could have my way I would start a Saturn collection. Anyone willing to sell Panzer Zwei? :P
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

What AV to HDMI converter did you get Froggy?

I'm guessing this is something you don't want to go super cheap on, but I'm hoping there's a consensus on which is best.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I got these from The Gamesmen:
Kyperkin HDTV HDMI Cable for Saturn:
https://www.gamesmen.com.au/hyperkin-hd ... ega-saturn

Got a new 8bit-do Saturn pad:
https://www.gamesmen.com.au/retro-bit-s ... slate-grey

Can't seem to find the original blockier and I think smaller ones, I actually preferred that one but I have lost my original and the other pad I had was an old I think MadCatz turbo one and for whatever reason it's laggy in response. This one is fantastic though.

You want the 4 in 1 Psuedo Saturn KAI cartridge. This way you can boot backups and it also comes with the ability to turn on all the cheats etc like Action Replay:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... GrzuhIeptT

If that AliExpress link doesn't work, you want this spefici one so you get the 4mb ram/1mb ram/8mb save/bootloader:

That should get you up and going cheap. I think the best HDMI one is this Rad2X but it's still not in stock. You need a separate usb power for the rest like the Hyperkin one above, so make sure you got a phone charger or something around to power it.
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SEG ... 480P-CABLE
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Madmya wrote: 28 Apr 2023 04:27 am

If I could have my way I would start a Saturn collection. Anyone willing to sell Panzer Zwei? :P
I ALMOST BOUGHT THIS THE OTHER DAY.

My saturn collecting days are over but the itch will always be there. :D

The scene has gone absolutely bonkers.. needless to say I did clean up ;)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Cheers Froggy, I'll go through that stuff later this week and will let you know how I get on. I'll definitely be getting one of those cartridges.
GeneraL CyberFunK wrote: 01 May 2023 02:19 pm
Madmya wrote: 28 Apr 2023 04:27 am

I ALMOST BOUGHT THIS THE OTHER DAY.

My saturn collecting days are over but the itch will always be there. :D

The scene has gone absolutely bonkers.. needless to say I did clean up ;)
Funnily enough I went through the trading forum last week as well and saw your post of sega stuff, my heart jumped. What a collection that was :talezcry:
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

I still have a chunk of it if you're interested.. just be ready to sell a kidney since things have gone bullshit pricey.. it's like everyone turned 40 and had expendable income and didn't give a shit what the price of something was... they had to have it.. so they would buy it. :D