Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: The retro thread

Post by t0mby »

The length of the PCE gamepad cord is really short too from memory, probably the shortest cord on a gamepad I've seen.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

A lot of the old stuff is great for nostalgia candy arse but one thing I have noticed is when a better version of something is out you tend to ditch the older stuff and sell it on ebay or gametraders (they deal in retro unlike ebgames).

For instance if you owned a copy of Chrono Trigger and then also bought the DS version you tend to sell off the old cart because a portable edition is just more convenient.

That's what I do. I don't cosider myself a collector who gets everything, just a guy who hangs on to the old stuff if nothing better has come along to make the older edition not worth holding on to. (it may still have nostalgia value but I would rather only keep the newer and improved edition)
Same thing with macross toys. I didtched my old Yamato 1/48 VF-1 for a the 1/60 edition which to me is superior.
If I had the space I would try to keep everything but it's better to go into the hands of guys like you with huge amount of space for old stuff.

Once in a while you got to learn to let the memories go.

The other day I saw the old G1 transformers re-released in toys r us and wanted to buy it but then held back and said I could use the space for something else.
I wish they would make a retro console that was not emulation but is a hardware that contains all the old retro console combined into miniture form. The idea would it could be a retro game station for all these old consoles but in compact form. I would buy it.

When I bought the NeoGeo X Gold I was disapointed that its just emulation and not actual hardware of neogeo. I don't want the cartridges because they offer nothing to me. I want to preserve the memory of the games themselves more than stack shit on a shelf. This is why I believe there are merits to digital distribution still despite preferring physical copies.

Digital Distribution gives us the games that are out of print and saves us space.
Retail edition gives you the fancy steel cases and other shit like music soundtracks that make you feel good.

What I want is retro game console that is the actual hardware of the consoles (not emulation) in one big box.
Can something like that exist?

I want to play neogeo the same as a owner of neogeo original has the console but miniturised.
Just like I can play Zelda OOT on 3DS now in handheld form with better textures etc.
The joystick for NeoGeo X Gold was actually not too bad, just that it was emulation. I want the re-release to be the exact hardware of the original. But instead of giant cartridges they are downloads. This way you don't waste space. I PLAY retro, but ot collect it.

At some point you will run out of space and want to sell off shit like me. You'll see. I got rid of Suikoden 2 on ps1 recently and it felt good. It was one of my more rare games. As long as digital version exists I am fine just playing it on the bus instead of nailed to the living room. I can play it in the toilet, bus, inside your closet when your mum calls etc. Why bother with the old system which eventually the laser will die off and then you have to go and search for a replacement ps1?

I do still have an amiga 500 lying around somewhere though and have no intention of selling. So many memories of playing giana sisters and robocod. I am too lazy to see if it still works. Also old game magazines I am going to have to get rid of one day. (historians might want to hear what game reviewers thought of back in the day before the internet took over. Some of the funny shit like Gamefan's racist rant against japanese game companies is one edition which I think should be a rare collector's item because this wasn't supposed to go to print)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

flipswitch wrote:It must be a pain having to use a game pad with a cord again. We've had it good all these years.
Japanese console controllers by and large have really short cords, and even some US consoles have shorter cords than their PAL equivalents.

The way I've got my setup, most of the consoles with really short cords (eg PC Engine) are close to the couch so I can use them, but in some cases I have to sit at the far left so the cord reaches. It's painful.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote:A lot of the old stuff is great for nostalgia candy arse but one thing I have noticed is when a better version of something is out you tend to ditch the older stuff and sell it on ebay or gametraders (they deal in retro unlike ebgames).

For instance if you owned a copy of Chrono Trigger and then also bought the DS version you tend to sell off the old cart because a portable edition is just more convenient.

That's what I do. I don't cosider myself a collector who gets everything, just a guy who hangs on to the old stuff if nothing better has come along to make the older edition not worth holding on to. (it may still have nostalgia value but I would rather only keep the newer and improved edition)
Same thing with macross toys. I didtched my old Yamato 1/48 VF-1 for a the 1/60 edition which to me is superior.
If I had the space I would try to keep everything but it's better to go into the hands of guys like you with huge amount of space for old stuff.

The other day I saw the old G1 transformers re-released in toys r us and wanted to buy it but then held back and said I could use the space for something else.
I wish they would make a retro console that was not emulation but is a hardware that contains all the old retro console combined into miniture form. The idea would it could be a retro game station for all these old consoles but in compact form. I would buy it.

When I bought the NeoGeo X Gold I was disapointed that its just emulation and not actual hardware of neogeo. I don't want the cartridges because they offer nothing to me. I want to preserve the memory of the games themselves more than stack shit on a shelf. This is why I believe there are merits to digital distribution still despite preferring physical copies.

Digital Distribution gives us the games that are out of print and saves us space.
Retail edition gives you the fancy steel cases and other shit like music soundtracks that make you feel good.

What I want is retro game console that is the actual hardware of the consoles (not emulation) in one big box.

I want to play neogeo the same as a owner of neogeo original has the console but miniturised.
Just like I can play Zelda OOT on 3DS now in handheld form with better textures etc.
The joystick for NeoGeo X Gold was actually not too bad, just that it was emulation. I want the re-release to be the exact hardware of the original. But instead of giant cartridges they are downloads. This way you don't waste space. I PLAY retro, but ot collect it.

At some point you will run out of space and want to sell off shit like me. You'll see. I got rid of Suikoden 2 on ps1 recently and it felt good. It was one of my more rare games. As long as digital version exists I am fine just playing it on the bus instead of nailed to the living room. I can play it in the toilet, bus, inside your closet when your mum calls etc. Why bother with the old system which eventually the laser will die off and then you have to go and search for a replacement ps1?

I do still have an amiga 500 lying around somewhere though and have no intention of selling. So many memories of playing giana sisters and robocod. I am too lazy to see if it still works. Also old game magazines I am going to have to get rid of one day. (historians might want to hear what game reviewers thought of back in the day before the internet took over. Some of the funny shit like Gamefan's racist rant against japanese game companies is one edition which I think should be a rare collector's item because this wasn't supposed to go to print)
Retro advice from a guy who doesn't collect retro games/consoles. Good stuff CrackHED.

emptyvessel's display is a thing of beauty. I won't lie, I got an erection looking at that.
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Splendid setup emptyvessel. An effective setup is difficult to achieve. I was dissatisfied with my last effort and it started getting dusty so I've packed it up again.

Lol @ the noob who trades a SNES copy of Chrono Trigger for a DS cart. I'm reminded of my mate whose now ex-wife made him sell his XA GT for a new Sigma wagon.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The smart guy has the SNES version in his display cabinet and the DS version for when he's on the road ;)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

How often to you guys dust your devices and game packages? I don't own as much stuff as the pics in this thread, but damn does my room get dusty very quickly. I think it's due the sun always being on that side of the house.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Why don't you have perspex doors on the shelves?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

Well I just got one of them Scart to Component thingamajingys and Scart chords for all my retro consoles. After adjusting the colour adjusters (HIDDEN within the screwed case) they all look awesome. Tested Jap and pal SMS (Japanese RType recently arrived with FM sound) and Saturn. Got so carried away that I havnt tested the Jag on scart yet and the Dreamcast scart chord hasnt arrived yet (although I use Dreamcast VGA so scart isnt an improvement unlike the other consoles). I love playing on original hardware and wish i had the room to permanently set up!

My own zoomed in pics:

Bonus points if you can pic the game!

Saturn AV:

Saturn Scart to RGB Component:

Note: The scart pic was taken before I fixed the colours with the internal colour adjusters - the whites are white and the colours are perfect now :)
:rock:
emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Thanks gents. The bonus is every single console in that display is connected to the TV via chained switches, so with a couple of button presses I can play any of those without unplugging and re plugging.

Flip - yeah, ummm, I hadn't dusted in ages when I moved stuff. Spray and wipe got a fair workout. :(

Misly - which convertor did you get? Are you using it with a CRT or a modern TV? I must admit with my recent thinking around RGB scart I didn't even think of a convertor going into my component connectors on my CRT
Misly
Blackened is the end
XBL ID: Misly

Post by Misly »

emptyvessel wrote:...Misly - which convertor did you get? Are you using it with a CRT or a modern TV? I must admit with my recent thinking around RGB scart I didn't even think of a convertor going into my component connectors on my CRT
I purchased this Scart to RGB Component video converter: MODEL CVS287 SCART TO YUV COMPONENT CONVERTER Link to Ebay Item

You also need this to extract the audio: AV Model SC-890-AV Scart Audio Video Extractor Link to Ebay Item

I am using it on a Panasonic Plasma and this Scart to Component looks so much better than AV (or RF lol!)

Note that when I got the unit - the colour was all wrong - In my case everything had a green tinge. The instructions did not mention anyway to adjust the colour. I had to google it. I found some information for a different model, and thought maybe if I take it apart, there will be hidden colour adjusters inside this model as well. And sure enough, when I undone the four outta screws, there were 6 yellow screws inside. While console was plugged in, I could live-adjust the colours by turning these yellow screws. Some made obvious changes like increasing red or blue, and other screws were more subtle. It wasnt hard and when I finished tweaking the colours, it looked amazing. Worth it. Here is a pic I took of the yellow internal colour adjustment screws:

Once the colours are right, they stay right. No need to keep adjusting.

Last edited by Misly on 16 Jul 2015 09:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:rock:
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

emptyvessel wrote:
flipswitch wrote:It must be a pain having to use a game pad with a cord again. We've had it good all these years.
Japanese console controllers by and large have really short cords, and even some US consoles have shorter cords than their PAL equivalents.

The way I've got my setup, most of the consoles with really short cords (eg PC Engine) are close to the couch so I can use them, but in some cases I have to sit at the far left so the cord reaches. It's painful.
There's a certain kind of old printer cable that works as an extension cord for PCE controllers. I got one on ebay, but I don't recall the specifics of what it's called.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Looks a bit like an old AppleTalk connector...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Thanks Misly! Most of my stuff is already running via s-video into a Panasonic CRT, but I might look at getting an RGB setup going. My main switcher actually handles SCART but I discovered there's a problem with all but one of the SCART inputs, so I may look at a new setup assuming RGB SCART to component for most things and buy new switches to suit.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Have mint CIB copies of Guardian Heroes and Burning Rangers for the Saturn on the way. Yessssss!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Latest haul mint CIB Saturn games - Bomberman, Guardian Heroes and Burning Rangers. Also grabbed a boxed VCD card for shits and giggles.

In other news I'm an idiot and should probably check my own fucking database from time to time - I now own 2x mint CIB copies of Burning Rangers.

3x mint CIB copies of Zelda LTTP
3x modded Neo Geo AES consoles
2x mint CIB copies of Samurai Spirits 4 on AES
2x mint CIB copies of Burning Rangers

You'd think I'd learn by now...
emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Candy Arse wrote: 3x modded Neo Geo AES consoles
2x mint CIB copies of Samurai Spirits 4 on AES
And that was after you sold me a Neo geo AES and SamSho4 about 5 years ago.. Yeah you've got problems.. :lol:
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

DJ Fusion once sent me a burnt copy of Burning Rangers, along with some manner of backup playing cartridge.

It's on my backlog.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:
GameHED wrote:A lot of the old stuff is great for nostalgia candy arse but one thing I have noticed is when a better version of something is out you tend to ditch the older stuff and sell it on ebay or gametraders (they deal in retro unlike ebgames).

Retro advice from a guy who doesn't collect retro games/consoles. Good stuff CrackHED.

emptyvessel's display is a thing of beauty. I won't lie, I got an erection looking at that.
The reason I don't collect retro game consoles is because I was already around when they were initially released and just put them away.

You have two types of collectors: the ones trying to get everything and the guys who sell the consoles to the collectors. Me? I am the guy that sells my stuff to the guys that collect.

The only collected stuff are the games I thought were notable for their time. Eg for a long time I held on to my Dreamcast and its collection of games and then decided to say "fuck it it will be safer in another person's hands because I don't take good care of the stuff I put away.

The people that DO collect will clean them up, dust them off and preserve that shit. ME? it will just get buried in a pile of other crap and become part of the clutter of other games I currently play.

I don't see not collecting as a shameful thing. I see it as just common sense. When you owned the games and played the games people collect today, you are doing a community service by giving others a chance to experience them or complete their library. You'll understand when you find more joy owning only the newest versions of the games that fix the old games problems up. You don't need to hold on to the old stuff if you are not that much a fan of showing off things.

Keeping the best stuff is to me better than collecting. I don't have time to catalogue everything and list everything I need to get. It's a waste of time in the days of emulation and piracy which lets you relive the nostalgia of the past at the click of a mouse. Life is too short to hold onto material shit. Just enjoy the games now. Recently I had a just chucked out a huge pile of old videogame magazines (like EGM#1 up to present day) and it felt good to be rid of the stuff. The younger me would have kept this stuff but you can see scans of old magazines online now so I'd rather have the extra space. (to put new games in piles)

My brother recently got a gold Zelda OOT cartridge from a trade. The old me would have bought that off of him to preserve the past. The new me is too busy playing the 3DS version with 3D. "But it's the greatest game ever!" right? Yeah but I have played it to death so to me the game is burnt into my brain forever. I don't need the hunk of plastic telling me about it. Let the next generation of gamers get these games cheap and play them themselves. While you talk about them on boards and play the newer versions. You could think of me as an EX-collector. But now I just keep the notable masterpieces or games I like and then trade away the ones I don't want to keep. (whether they are good game or bad games or rare ones. Eg Suikoden 2. As soon as that was available on sony store I immediately sold it off to the colectors. I get a good feeling knowing another person will take good care of these titles, rather than being left lying around in my house. )

Let us say a remake of an old game is made that upgrades the graphics and enhances that old game and is available on new consoles. I will prefer playing that and owning that version over the original version of the past. Eg I bought Chrono Trigger on the nintendo DS on cart day 1, and if I had still had my snes and the game I would have just gotten rid of the game because I don't need two of something. I bought Metal Slug anthology on Wii and if I had owned the original neo geo cartridges of the game I would have just sold them off. If the game isn't rare really you should give the developers new money by upgrading to the later enhanced version. This is what real fans would do. The narcisstic people are the guys we rely on to sell our old stuff to and we are happy to do this and keep them happy because they help preserve the past better than we ever will. (and it gives us money)

Same deal with Toys: I had a lot of 80s transformers toys as a kid and back then when toys were made in japan the quality felt better than in later years. But if a better figure comes out that makes the older ones obsolete I see no reason to hold on to the old versions unless you want to be a completionist. I am only a completionist collector when it comes to collecting collectibles in games. :P (interestingly the new michael bay movies helped the franchise by getting older people back into remeber the oriignal toys from the 80s again and now hasbro is updating the looks of the original characters from the comics and 80s toon which is funny considering how hated the new movies are. The toy collectors can now re-buy all those old 80s toys they missed through the "platinum" line ie these were re-releases of the original 80s toys complete with old style packaging from back then. If it wasn't for michael bay movies none of this would have happened. (except for masterpiece line)
Collectors help the companies guage whether something is worth re-releasing again (they look at what shit is worth on ebay) and if it weren't for them we might never have seen re-release of MVC2 on digital store. When prices get ridiculous then it is highly likely some company will capitalise on the demand and bring it back from the grave and put it on digital distribution again. Collectors can still take joy in knowing they have the ORIGINALS but for the rest of us we can't afford to pay that expensive price for old stuff and just want to have fun.

This is why I gave up collecting:
-if a game is noteworthy, enough millions of people will remeber it so it will inevitably get released online (example Earthbound)
-usually the trend is to do remasters of the oriignals which improve on the old version (lot of old final fantasy games were redone on handheld devices over the years)
-if you own the old release why do you need the new one if the new one is better (example Twilight Princess HD has both the Gamecube controls plus widescreen and on modern machine so you don't need to get out the old one ever again if you want to replay it. To me owning the old one instead of giving it away seems more like a hassle than anything)

The other reason is because I won't take good care of old stuff the way a collector will. I have a whole bunch of atari games just sitting there and realy I will never touch that stuff again but I know people of the 1970s-early 80s would love to play that again on original machine. But I wouldn't. So no need to have it lie there doing nothing when others want to own it. If I WERE a COLECTOR, I would never touch the originals in order to keep them as mint as possible. I would play the emulator and keep the original safe. It's the same with old comic books. You don't want yellowed pages and stuff. And with old cartridges doesn't the plastic on them yellow and make them look ugly if exposed to the environment? I know this is a problem with some plastic toys with white plastic. Preservation of the original condition of the game is important if one day you plan on re-selling the stuff because if the guy buying it senses you have used it, or abused it (eg the box has tears on it or the manual looks worn and dirty) he will expect to pay less money to you for it.

related:
example of strange anti-yellowing guide to preserve plastic whiteness:
thank god for the modern covering case. No need for this crap on today's stuff. But this is the stuff collector's would not mind doing. It's time I would rather spend playing the games. That's the price of living in a sunny area I guess..
it took this guy 5 days to get it close to new (so make sure to keep those retro games in shade):
Last edited by GameHED on 13 Jul 2017 10:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Fans of old school 2D fighters might want to check this out:
The saturn never died.. its soul lives on in Code of Princess Fighting game lol

Just release Street Fighter 3 Third Strike on portables already....

another retro River City game appears on 3DS (out now on the aussie eshop for 3DS) :
Will be getting this soon. Master Blaster Zero is another one I would recommend.
Would love to see a sequel to Double Dragon Advance. Come on guys how hard can it be to make a 16-bit-age beat em up? the new Double Dragon uses NES style sprites which most people were disappointed with and would have preferred the arcade game look or the 16 bit look.

related:

developer interview for River City Knights of Justice (e3 2017)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

CrackHED talking to himself again?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

So my better half and I recently built our house and I've got to work on putting together a legit games room. Here are some under-construction shots for you fellas.

GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Go get him Jasper. Selling all those pirated nintendo roms makes him motherfucking rich. Can't wait to raid this place by dressing up as a swat police and taking all the games before the real police show up after I report that there is a drug lab hidden under the ground like Walter White in Breaking Bad.

Cyberfunk can use his parkour skills by blowing the hole in the roof while I sneak in through the window and jasper can smash his limo through the garage and this will be the getaway vehicle. A drone bomb can then be flown into the exit to cause the walls to collapse and provide enough rubble to slow candy arse down so he isn't able to follow after us quickly.
It will be like a GTA5 mission but stealing games back off candy for all the nintendo piracy he has caused over the years.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

That games room is a thing of beauty Candy :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Not bad for a guy who pirates all his games, according to CrackHED.

Looking forward to Jasper posting his Nintendo collection :lol: