NEO GEO X GOLD Dec 6th US$200

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: NEO GEO X GOLD Dec 6th US$200

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote: I think fans will buy one just to hope more games come out for it.
No chance of that ever happening. Ever.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Nah I disagree with you. They know retro gaming is big. I will buy mark of the wolves in cart form for this tiny system one day and like that $ is going to the creators. The handheld is the reason I want it. (I am going to buy the standalone handheld deal which is cheaper) It's neogeo pocket colour on steroids.

Yes you can pirate roms these days and this is expensive but look at the wii. lol

People its not just about collecting. It's the idea that you are not playing your games across so many systems. All of the games now appear at one platform, the company that made the original is behind this, and you can support it with money knowing it is going to a good cause. (profits here probably go into future fighting games like KOF14 or whatever)
Last edited by GameHED on 31 Oct 2012 09:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

You seriously think new (official) Neo Geo games are going to be developed?
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

No I mean they will allow you to buy games that are not announced for it right now.

The platform is retro gaming system so it has to stay loyal to what the neogeo was as hardware.

It's like what this is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxevws78kH8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz5C6O7MEII" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..for game and watch games.

Fans do not care as much about the cost of stuff. It's memories.
Last edited by GameHED on 31 Oct 2012 09:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Well yeah you'd hope so, wouldn't you.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Er why do you assume no other titles other than the 20 mentioned won't be available at some point in future? It's been said you can buy the games on cards just like buying a game for 3ds/vita.

I hope this thing is going to be made available:
and
garou
sengoku 3
these were neo games I played religiously in the arcade. But I want to buy them on a dedicated handheld and pay for them legit. (yes I want physical version, not just downloaded from online service) And I do own some of these games on neo geo compilations but what if my psp dies or something just like my sega dreamcast did for street fighter 3?
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

here is another title I would like to see in future:
same guys behind sengoku 3
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote:Er why do you assume no other titles other than the 20 mentioned won't be available at some point in future?
I don't assume that, I don't assume anything. The only info I'm going off is the impressions from Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb. At the moment the people behind this aren't wanting to discuss the possibility of later/larger Neo Geo games being released for it.

I'm certain other games will come out for it. I just wonder if they'll do things like Rage of The Dragons, Sam Sho 5 Special, Metal Slug 5, SvC etc
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

"Not being able to discuss" usually means they want to sell the old shit before the new shit. So they start off with old shit and later new shit can be sold. If they sell new shit first, it gets harder to sell old shit. That is just my opinion.

I think the other factor is: if people don't buy the old shit they can't justify selling new shit because they are guaging interest in newer shit by sales of older shit.

So if there was a obscure title from the past you liked (blue's journey) and lots of fans of blue's journey buy it, then maybe newer platformers that were like it appear too.

Just speculating here.

I liked a lot of the beat em up on neogeo like Mutation Nation, 8Man, and burning fight so for me having this all on one little handheld is appealing. Why? Because sometimes when you buy a compilation disc there are a lot of game on that compilation that you don't care much for and only 1 or 2 that you do.

If they can release actual hardware with games that you can buy on card seperately, it kind of legitimises the platform more because you know they could treat it like a proper handheld, not just a one off. (it would be like nintendo re-releasing GBA or something)

Certain fans of things are more desperate than others. For instance when the DS came out, I was desperate to see magaman Zero GBA games released because I had missed them. Luckily there was enough incentive to re-release that. (these game appeal to the hardcore gamer) And today why are there so many remakes and releases of old shit??:
Metal slug anthology, Metal Gear Solid HD, Zelda OOT, God Of War HD, Devil May Cry HD, Street Fighter 3 online edition, "anniversary street fighter bundle" etc

classics are classics. The creators of those games may not revisit some of the old game again due to having to be busy doing other things or the original works being their last involvement in the games. Ninja Gaiden for instance. Maybe the new games go in a direction that isn't to the liking of the original fanbase or something as simple as losing the feel of the originals. (castlevania?)
They know there is interest in this for people who are younger and like the 2d style. (the older guys might have hunted for these games over a long period of time but the younger generations might not have had time to by all this stuff since they were not even around when they were made. They are willing to pay money for it since to them these are "new to them".)

People miss the style of the old games. Street FIghter 4 barely had a chance to get made and thankfully the fanbase for it was big enough that the sequel was realised. But the same can't be said of all the genres. You don't see ghouls n ghosts, or strider getting many sequels. And as for megaman.... This adds value to these old games to fans of them who might want to pay for them despite having illegal roms or older carts already.

Usually I get rid of stuff if a superior version comes around. So I sold Zelda on N64 after the 3DS one came out. Some guys see rereleases as the superior version since it might be the legit release of the game from the company, and this adds value to them. I have for instance a bootleg cartridge of the GBA metal Slug (this is not the arcade game just a continuation of the NGPC style of games) and to me it isn't worth as much as the legit release. Of course I can play and enjoy it just as much as owning the original but it has less value to me for some reason. I think that there are rich fans out there that still will get into this new neogeo despite owning older neogeo stuff. Just for the fact that it is a legit platform. I didn't need to buy final fight because I already have the rom, but I got this on capcom classic collection and bought the re-release (XBLA) anyway just because I am a fan of it. For new people who never bought it before (never owned a PSP, didn't play it on emulator, were too young to know it) the game in re-release still has value to them.
Yes it is overpriced but so is wii. You can never tell what fans do. I own a lot of game multiple times. I have old JRPG on PS1 still working perfectly but I am buying DS Remakes too. It IS a waste of money but there might be something superior about them on new platforms. And collectors sometimes use that logic: "If something is shiny and new, it is better, therefore I must have it if I am a fan"
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Ninja master's sounds like a good game. This review convinced me to preorder a neogeo x (despite the high cost)
I never saw this one in arcades. Looks like world heroes meets Samurai showdown.

long play:
"The hidden ninja's destiny is to terminate the fate of enemies"
Dj Flextacy
Mr 60FPS
XBL ID: flextacy
PSN ID: flextacy

Post by Dj Flextacy »

I remember when i got my neo geo mvs .. very very expensive... the games were for sale at Grace Bros in Sydney City .. the average game was 300 bucks... first releases like nam 75 etc were 185 ... i still have them all, they all work perfectly.. what i loved about neo geo was that whatever region game you bought, it'd always play in your local language... and back then that was a rarity. The only sucky thing with the console was it was mono ... so my solution to that was i'd plug in a cable to the headphone socket, then into my stereo and i'd get dual speaker mono.

Then they released that neo geo cd thing... FMD that was horrible... with kof it'd take forever to load the game... but worse still was each round it'd take like 30-60 seconds to load it.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I really wish snk would just do this:

release neopocket like nintendo released GBA but constantly upgrade its spec.

Yes we got NGPC and that was outmatched by the GBA, but would have been cool is if they quietly kept making new handhelds all the time.

This mini neogeo handheld is great and all but what I would like is something that is just dedicated to arcadey style SNK games in 2d which are not necessarily aimed only at retro gaming crowds who want to relive old memories, but the hardcore gamers who still play new 2d games because they prefer it.

The things phones can never match a small handheld is the controls. We all know this. And as for nintendo and sony handheld: they tend to take mostly anti-2d stance since majority of the games are 3d in order to make use of the specs of the machines. What about fans of hand drawn games that just want that yearly fighting game update with new characters and more refined and balanced systems? We could play them on a portable that isn't SNK one but having a dedicated SNK one eliminates that hassle of having to chase the portable that gets the ports of these games.

Once you get over the initial cost of the hardware you can sell the games full price and fans will buy it. Maybe they can create new franchises unique to the home (not for arcade) and which have a larger scope than most arcade games that have a few levels? (an example might be an episodic hack n slash golden axe type game that spans multiple titles, and where your stat carry over from game to game)
Also more SNK vs Capcom would be great. Make that an exclusive to "Neo Pocket" handhelds.

I own all the neogeo compilations that came out over the years and I am aware I could play them free through emulation or buy it on online shops as digital download, (I never bothered buying the real carts) and it seems almost pointless buying a handheld to play the old games, but to me knowing it is a real product makes a difference. I hope later titles like Mark of The Wolves comes out on it. I prefer playing this type of thing on a small screen anyway. Vast majority of my time on 3ds is just spent on arcadey titles like street fighter 4.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The system is out:
wasn't a hoax after all:
epic trailer "witness the rebirth"
Bring on last blade 1 and 2 and mark of the wolves and sengoku 3. (marvel vs capcom the beat em up but with ninjas)

The rise and fall of new geo:
GBA is better. Final Fight GBA > Burning Fight on neogeo.
Yoshi Sonic

NEO GEO X GOLD Dec 6th US$200

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Have you tried renaming ROMs yet?
HypeRAUS

Post by HypeRAUS »

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/24/neo- ... game-roms/

Already hacked. No security at all.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

HypeRAUS wrote:http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/24/neo- ... game-roms/

Already hacked. No security at all.
They're still emulated though, aren't they?

Boo.

Wait... that forum says the emulator runs @ 500MHz? This could be the greatest portable handheld emulator evor.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Ok here is my review of the thing after playing for a whole day yesterday. (mainly Fatal Fury 1 because I have such fond memories of it as one of the first fighters on the neogeo I played while lining up and waiting for the locals to hurry up and get off the street fighter II cabinets)

-the handheld feels very solid and I can grip it well. The buttons are very good and respond to every input I have pressed and the thumbstick is fucking awesome. I wish all the other handhelds had something like that.

-the boot up is very quick. no more than about 30seconds. The inbuilt games load very quickly. 5 secs

-the joystick is just as I imagined it. Nice and clicky and arcade-feeling. Seriously if you didn't buy the handheld with this you are losing out. Some games are better with the handheld though because the way the face buttons are arranged for fighting game is more suitable imo.

-you can't charge the battery on the handheld without the docking station. :( Not very practical. It's not like you are going to lug a huge chunk of plastic casing with you on a trip.

-framerate on each game is solid. The graphics do not slow down or lag or anything like you would imagine when trying to run an emulator that is not perfect on a low spec computer. It feels like the way it normally plays.

-Ninja Masters is awesome. This was a free game you get when you preordered the NeoGeo X Gold. (it is officially known as Neo Geo X Gold "Limited Edition") I never heard of this game but it has the pace of a Versus game wit really nice smooth animation and combo happy fight mechnics. (sort of feel like street fighter alpha 1 with a bit of Capcom VS SNK weightiness to the characters. Switching from hand to hand to weapon mode is very quick and painless. This allows for more moves than you are used to. This reminds me of what it is like to use Gen in Street Fighter Alpha who also can switch modes to do new moves despite using same number of buttons. I have to look up the internet for movelists. I wish SNK sent out free guides for these old games. Can you imagine a kid who wants to play these and has no fucking idea how to pull off any moves?

-Good Value. Seriously 21 free games with it. A lot of them people probably already owned in cart form or playing on rom for free illegally, but still you can't put a price on the hours of entertainment you get from a deep fighting game that is a perfect match to the handheld device of today. (don't make me laugh and say phones are better. Those are casual gamer retard machines that were not designed for deep fighters)

-Do not buy one if you are not a fan of 2d hand drawn sprites from the time when RAM was still expensive and having decent looking sized people punching and kicking things was still better than seeing crappy polygonal block people dancing onscreen with lousy textures. These games were for a specific group of people and dedicated fans of arcade action where there was no emphasis on stories and cutscenes and nonsense like you get today. (dragon's lair QTE)

-Word of advice. Stand as far back as you can when playing these on a HD TV. You want the blocky graphics to blur together. Nothing looks good blown up to such huge size when you sit close.

-Protip: to beat geese in Fatal Fury, spam your fatal moves on him. In fact spam your fatal moves on everyone. Maybe once in a while (like for Billy Kane) you can grab after they jump up to grab something in the air like his stupid little stick or Hwa Jai grabs his energy drink. But yeah spam fatal moves. Once you do that it is like automatic victory.

8/10 - I am satisfied with everything. But I think they could have made more different gamecards available to buy from the launch of this. For instance I want to buy some of the beat em ups like Sengoku 3 and Burning Fight. And what about ninja combat? (this was the first beat em up on neo geo I think.) And what about 8 man? (sort of like a super hero beat em up) Loads of other titles should have been ready for launch. It was good that they included samsho 2. I hope they eventually release the other metal slug games. I already have the anthology on PSP, but still it wouldn't be right not to play them on this.

PS
don't forget when you buy this you will have to buy a australian power plug adapter so you can convert the uk power supply plug standard to the 3 pin australian standard. This doesn't come in the box. Ask the guy at dicksmith if they sell them or shop around for one.

an example picture below of what they look like:
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/M7323/m ... el-adaptor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Some news on upcoming games post-launch
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... e-in-april" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Jeffrey Matulef Published Thursday, 21 February 2013

Handheld arcade platform NeoGeo X is adding 15 more retro games to its roster this April with NeoGeo X Classics: Volume 1, manufacturer Tommo has announced.

NeoGeo X Classics: Volume 1 is the first of five anthologies that will contain umpteen games on one cart. This first volume includes:

Art of Fighting 3
Blazing Star
Breakers Revenge
Fate Fury: Mark of the Wolves
Kizuna Encounter
The King of Fighters '96
The Last Blade 2
Metal Slug 2
Samurai Showdown 3
Savage Reign
Sengoku
Shock Troopers
Super Sidekicks 3 - The Next Glory
Top Hunter
World Heroes Jet

Additionally, each copy of NeoGeo X Classics will contain a Rocket high-speed data transfer and charging travel cable.

Elsewhere, a NeoGeo X travel case is in development, and is slated for release in April.
last blade 2 and mark of the wolves are coming in volume 1. Now I can throw away my dreamcast copy of the game.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Last Blade 2 dreamcast review:
This and mark of the wolves were awesome for their time. I don't think these were ever on official neo geo classic compilations for psp.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The Dreamcast versions of MoTW and Last Blade 2 were terrible. Original Neo Geo version or bust.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Neogeo is pretty much dead apart from emulators though.

You should buy a neogeo x gold to show there is still interest in new prodcuts. Maybe one day we will see a true re-release of neogeo hardware (non-emulation) in the future based on money raised from this stuff?

The last snk game was KOF13. Don't you want to see sequels to games like that in physical media like guilty gear games?
I think DC was the best for 2d fighting. You got ports of snk games, capcom games (SF3) mvc1 and 2, and there was even cross promotion with vmu unit and neogeo pocket systems. On top of that some treasure games like bangai o and ikaruga.

Sega SNK Capcom need to join forces to make one handheld retro gamer console that plays sequels to all the classics. Put them all on tiny cartridges to sell to a new generation of games who were not around to buy them.
I would love to see all the old 2d fighters on one system. (official product with the potential for new games)

I always hear how owning the originals is better than playing on pc emulators or buying official products that are emulation but really there is not that much difference. I would imagine that people who own the originals would want to keep them in pristine condition and play the games on the emulation. Much like how in the old days you would make backup copies of pc games and keep the original in the box. (using them increases risk of damaging them) The people that say originals are better are just showing off. They probably just feel that new, cheaper and affordable products may threaten the market value of the things they already own. This happens all the time in the toy collectible scene when rare shit is reissued by the cmpany that manufactured it; driving the price down of the original on ebay or wherever it is people go to buy their old retro stuff. These people have no concern about the little ones who want a cheap no-fuss (no haggling with idiots online) alternative.

Back when the original neogeo was out it cost an arm and a leg. Now you can get emulation that is perfect. Don't always believe what you hear from those "own the original" purists. Buying a new product from the company actually goes to a good cause anyway. Don't you want to see future 2d brawlers? Don't you people realise that this genre was once considered dead before SF4 came out?
And doesn't it make sense to want to give your money direct to the company that was involved in the making of those classic games vs buying from an eshop or whatever? (transferring ownership of something becomes more of a hassle)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I spotted a negative review of neogeo x:
a response to the haters:
try it out and judge. The guy in the first vid has no fucking idea what he is talking about. Dude is probably angry that he spent hundreds of dollars for original carts and feels he needs to justify his purchase to us.
He reminds me of comic book guy on the simpsons.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote:Neogeo is pretty much dead apart from emulators though.

You should buy a neogeo x gold to show there is still interest in new prodcuts. Maybe one day we will see a true re-release of neogeo hardware (non-emulation) in the future based on money raised from this stuff?

The last snk game was KOF13. Don't you want to see sequels to games like that in physical media like guilty gear games?
I think DC was the best for 2d fighting. You got ports of snk games, capcom games (SF3) mvc1 and 2, and there was even cross promotion with vmu unit and neogeo pocket systems. On top of that some treasure games like bangai o and ikaruga.

Sega SNK Capcom need to join forces to make one handheld retro gamer console that plays sequels to all the classics. Put them all on tiny cartridges to sell to a new generation of games who were not around to buy them.
I would love to see all the old 2d fighters on one system. (official product with the potential for new games)

I always hear how owning the originals is better than playing on pc emulators or buying official products that are emulation but really there is not that much difference. I would imagine that people who own the originals would want to keep them in pristine condition and play the games on the emulation. Much like how in the old days you would make backup copies of pc games and keep the original in the box. (using them increases risk of damaging them) The people that say originals are better are just showing off. They probably just feel that new, cheaper and affordable products may threaten the market value of the things they already own. This happens all the time in the toy collectible scene when rare shit is reissued by the cmpany that manufactured it; driving the price down of the original on ebay or wherever it is people go to buy their old retro stuff. These people have no concern about the little ones who want a cheap no-fuss (no haggling with idiots online) alternative.

Back when the original neogeo was out it cost an arm and a leg. Now you can get emulation that is perfect. Don't always believe what you hear from those "own the original" purists. Buying a new product from the company actually goes to a good cause anyway. Don't you want to see future 2d brawlers? Don't you people realise that this genre was once considered dead before SF4 came out?
And doesn't it make sense to want to give your money direct to the company that was involved in the making of those classic games vs buying from an eshop or whatever? (transferring ownership of something becomes more of a hassle)
This psychobabble is great, but I happen to be one of those original game purists. The Dreamcast versions of MoTW and LB2 are terrible and have been recognised as such by the tournament community. I'm sure the people who engage in high-level play on their local bus are happy with the inferior versions, however.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The tournament community? What about those who just play the game for fun with mates and not to win trophies by capcom bug testing team? Somehow we are not important?

Somehow our money doesn't help fund new games?

Hmm sounds like you are the type that would only play on arcades only. I bet you thumbed your nose up at SNES and Megadrive gamers in the 90s for being too poor to afford a true genuine arcade street fighter machine because it was "not as useful in a tournaments". Uh yeah I doubt that. Sounds to me like you are trying to gain points for popularity more than being practical and real.

I'm talking about the future generation of people who can't afford to hunt down rare games anymore as the company is no longer able to compete in the competitive gaming world. The emulation is good enough for the budget conscious. We don't plan on playing our games in tournaments any more than when we bought SNES and Megadrive versions of Street Fighter or Golden Axe we planned on training to win trophies and medals to show off.

Ok DC version < arcade. But as a DC game in general it was great. I think you are very narrow minded.
Nobody has space to own arcade cabinets and repair them when the monitors get damaged/die off. We are just as important as competitive gaming community. ($ = funding for new projects)

Geez you are such a snob. I bet you still think Guile is unplayable on 3DS because you never actually checked first hand to see for yourself but listen to some snob online. LOL You disgust me.
You can't always believe the people who play in tournaments because they are aiming to only play a game and break it down into the easiest way to dominate in a competitive environment. These guys forget the rest of us play for fun, not points. They are the equivalent of min-maxers in RPG games. They are great for testing bugs and stuff though. But they exploit glitches and if it is legal; due to being unknown of, use them to get wins. Yes fine they deserve to be praised for skills but they are not good reviewers of games quality. For instance they might not like a game because it has huge roster of character to use in it simply because they already know all the exploits for the most powerful character and say the game sucks. But if you were not to use the exploits (glitches huge damage combos that would be seen by normal people as not intended to be there by the programmes of the game) the game would be fun and get a decent score.

When you only think about how good a game is based on balance for a tournament environment you are missing the other stuff that people care about like how much overall content in the game(does it have cool characters and interesting mechanics?, is it animated very smoothly?) and the fun of playing it. (not to win a tournament by exploiting bugs, damage glitches, overpowered characters)

Let's take marvel vs capcom 2 as a perfect example of this: the sequel is offering far mre combinations of haracters to use than no.1 but isn't as balanced. If you were to oly look at it as tournament game you would think it sucked. If you looked at it as just for playing it for its fun you might rate it higher for having much more variety.
I have this issue with SFA3: this is a far more fun game than 2 ever was because of the content, but 2 is the better competitive game. Doesn't mean just because it is better for competitive play that it necessarily means it deserve better praise. That is simplying things down to one factor only. Not everyone will play tournament level players and might even miss the opportunity to use exploits because of lack of the broken systems or overpowered moves. Some people might use basic attacks and combos and never see the ridiculous things that a tournament player will be able to do regularly and exploit with ease.

So please stop the thumb nosing bulshit. Actually think for yourself. Not what some random idiot on a board said and pass it off as your own thoughts and experiences.

You already made a fool of yourself by bashing SF4 on 3DS made by the same people that made the other home and arcade versions. You only seek to divide people you snobby reptile.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote:The tournament community? What about those who just play the game for fun with mates and not to win trophies by capcom bug testing team? Somehow we are not important?
No you're not important. There's a reason why companies like Capcom get the tournament community involved in things like feedback and bug testing, because they're the ones who make a game viable over the course of many, many years.

Also you don't have any mates, you play by yourself on the bus to your job as EB Market Analyst.