Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Re: NEO GEO X GOLD Dec 6th US$200

Post by GameHED »

:lol:
But what do you care about what tournament level players think? You don't compete with the best and it won't matter much to you?

Urgh. Nevermind. Fine Arcade originals are superior to the ports. Yes I agree on this.

But the ports are good enough for the vast majority of normal people who have no intention of playing competitively as they play many other games.

No I don't play games alone you douchebag. :lol:

What I said is I think the online gaming is stupid if you care about things like lag. It is pointless because fighting games were designed to be played at arcades near each other with garanteed zero lag. I tried playing TVC on wii online and some of the matches were smooth but others were jerky as all hell. If it's not on a level playing field and neither of us is enjoying ourselves I don't care how great tournament level players think online gaming is, despite liking them testing everything: I strongly disagree with them on that point.

Saying that couch multi is worse than online multi is showing your lack of knowledge about the qaultiy of a multiplayer experience. In places like japan it is common to find other people who own a handheld and plays games locally multi.

I'm not saying online is always bad, (as I said some matches were smooth) but it's not reliable since you are limited to people using that service and the quality can vary wildly based on many factors like if the guy on the other end has shit connection.

Look just shut the fuck up please. You are trying to act like you are someone talking from experience when you don't even use correct logic in arguments. You keep talking about "what other people think" not what you KNOW from your own individual trying out of the games. (for example making fun of the port of SF4 without even trying it out to test if the trolls were full of shit) This makes you seem like you don't want the truth but prefer to follow what others say without checking.

If a tournament player pointed out all the bad things about the balance of a particular fighter I would fall asleep. I just want to play the fucking game. I do appreciate that the games are being tested by these obsessive guys who live, sleep, shit the fighting game, but I have better things to do like play them the normal way first.
I learn by doing it and then slowly over time, finding out the things myself through experiments not copying what others do. That's part of the fun of playing a game casually. I will never fly to another country just to prove myself because I don't take it as seriously as tourney players.

Ok so assuming one day I did decide to care about that, I won't go into tournaments "prepared" for the extreme bullshittery they would pull to exploit all the overpowered characters and techniques that give people the edge, but I am having fun. I play fighters for fun not to win tournaments or to power game. If I didn' I wouldn't even bother playing unbalanced games like MVC2.

Same with RPG: I don't min max my characters to ensure I can rape everything in the world, I use weak guy and see how far I can take myself to the limit with modest stats. That's the way most people play and how developers intended it to be done.

*sigh* forget it. I agree the arcade is the one you'd would want but you miss the point of ports. Not many people can afford the cabinets/carts so they are happy with a port which gives them a few extras in compensation for only being a lowly home version.(ie training modes etc)
For instance the dreamcast port of Street Fighter Alpha had characters you couldn't use in the arcades. Was it as balanced? No. Was it more fun to have extra characters? Yes.
Same with PSP port: was it as balanced? No. Was it fun to see CVS2 sprites included as characters to fuck around with in tag mode? Yes.
Seriously get out of the caves and seek some sunlight.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Eurogamer does a review of the neogeo x:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-ha ... o-x-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

buy a vita and buy neo games off the eshop for better quality. (the superior oled screen of vita destroys this)
Buy this as a celebration of 20 years of neogeo. (keep in box)

comparison of the handheld with other devvices:
It seems like the unit is still selling well. (people want to hack it) Some people have damaged units where the colors are fucked up. Send it in for replacement.
I might buy a second stick in future.
In the review the guy mentions you don't get the games in the handheld-only version which I don't think is true. The game that doesn't come with it is ninja masters which was the preorder exclusive. (but they may still have it available)
One thing I want to see later is a game save feature.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote::lol:
But what do you care about what tournament level players think? You don't compete with the best and it won't matter much to you?
I care a lot because tournament level players have attention to detail that solo on-the-bus players like you do not.

I do compete with the best because I have many friends within the Australian fighting game community and they're who I play on a consistent basis. Have fun on the bus against the CPU :lol:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Tournament level players are not the only people who play fighting games. You are not a tournament level player unless you regularly challenge them under official tournament rules. Saying I hang out with them or played them a few times is not the same thing.

So again what difference does it make to you?

Were you angry that the SNES and Megadrive editions of street fighter were not arcade perfect and therefore not worth purchase? Of course not. Today you are acting like some person that will use the strategies of high level players when in fact you are not going to do so since you do not compete with them on a regular basis to care enough about the tiny differences in versions. You rely on the opinions of a tournament player not on your own.

Simply put you have made their decisions your decisions because you can't think for yourself.
Meanwhile people like me who actually buy my games (not pirate them or download them for free which does not support the makers of the original games) can still enjoy ports like for instance the port of SFA3 on the GBA, the port of SF4 on the 3DS, the port of MVC3 on the PS Vita.

Because the tiny things like background not moving and other things are not as important to people who want a better than arcade port. We want something close enough (sometimes a port is superior, PC for instance) but in times where owning the arcade is cost-prohibitive (such as neogeo cartridges which is just ridiculous at the time) the inferior version is better. (back in the days when neogeo was in its prime, all other 2d consoles were inferior versions of the original arcade but they compensated for this with things like the ability to train and spar with each other more easily - eg versus mode, team battle mode etc.)

So today people who want to play those games who are still young (limited income) need cheap alternatives to playing them. You either do it illegally, or you can pay for the slightly shittier port, or emulation to get reasonable enough recreation of the arcade experience. Those little things you mention for example how the 3DS version has an easy mode for casuals don't apply because you can filter those players out of the matches. (not that I play online as a serious replacement for LAN or couch multi)

I doubt the average kid is going to hunt for all those rare titles in the arcade cartridge form.

You are not thinking about the reality of most gamers. Most gamers are not tournament fighting game players.
They can buy ports of games they like and not care as much about tiny differences. (the arcade versions are not perfect either since arcade versions have bugs in them too - the guile handcuff trick in SF2 WW is one such example - something that is not in home versions)

Would you have been better off buying a neogeo arcade cabinet/console and the expensive cartridge? Yes. Would you be having as much fun owning a snes or megadrive because of the sheer number of different games on it? No.
Most people would prefer a home version which is in some way even better than the arcade original since you get training mode, extra characters, the game is adapted for homes with actual movelists in the pause menu etc.

You are a fake poser who thinks he is a hardcore fighting game fan but in reality you are a wannabe. You forget the original makers of the arcade often are involved in the home editions. Yes you miss out on some stuff due to technical problems (for instance you may not get native resolution in a port and there may be different behavior but the vast majortiy of people who buy it are not looking that closely since they are never going to travel the world to attend tourneys you ignorant reptilian)

LOL keep coming up with defense for why being able to chose more characters, playing couch multi (vs online with lag) and having training modes in home editions is somehow bad and how saving money is bad for the casual gamers who want to play fighting games and whose money is just as important to companies who make fighting games as the tourney level players being used as free bug testing employees. Remind me again why me being able to have a tag mode in Street Fighter Alpha 3 on PSP so I can use two characters to fight with is not as good as the original arcade version which is a barebones edition of the franchise. You can't you fucktard. Because you are "a fake collector" that sees owning things as like having trophies. Sort of like people who just buy shit to be popular with the in crowd. Please stop being a fake gamer. I bet you thumb your nose at all those small kids who can't afford an original neogeo metal slug 1 cartridge and this makes you feel so cool. (comic book guy from the simpsons) NERD!

Get out of the caves and get some sunlight. Actually recognise that you copy opinions from other forums and make them as your own. You probably don't even experiment to find your own combos but copy what others had to discover for themselves because you are a zombie with no thinking capacity. "OMG the sprite is not pixel perfect in native resolution, I might look bad if I like a home port of an arcade game" is probably what is going through your mind. Meanwhile the rest of us use the ports and take advantage of the positives they can provide like more modes, more characters and content, and more affordable price.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote:Tournament level players are not the only people who play fighting games. You are not a tournament level player unless you regularly challenge them under official tournament rules. Saying I hang out with them or played them a few times is not the same thing.
Tournament players are the people who keep the game alive for years, even decades. ST and 3S haven't been around for this long due to people like you who play by themselves on a bus and don't care about smaller details that do/don't make a game arcade perfect.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Excuses excuses excuses.

Tournament level players are not the only people playing fighting games and casuals far outnumber them which is why money from the non-tourney players is an important thing to factor. It's like saying fighting games wouldn't exist if tournaments were never held for them. You sir are an idiot.

Many of the most fun fighters are not good tournament games like MVC2. That doesn't mean the franchise should not exist just because it can have overpowered and unbalanced gameplay with abusable features that make it bad as a competitive title.

Some games are just popular because of the people who just like buying the game for the thrills they get playing it with mates, and not on what the tournament players recommend. Stop trying to say ports are inferior when in many situations they can be superior. You are a repeater. You repeat what people say without looking into the validity of the claims first hand. It's called being lazy.

Sometimes a port may have inferior things in it like poorer visuals or not recreate the AI perfectly or something small might be off but it might make up for that with more things. You can't expect "late to the party" fans of old things to go and own the original arcade cabinet. It's cost-prohibitive. Owning the DC version of Street Fighter 3 or playing the port on xbox or the online updated edition is much more reasonable for most people.

Playing online is not a tournament ok? That's got lag. Nobody in their right mind would bother doing that unless it was the only option open to them. (due to living far apart) end of discussion.
You worship high level players as if they are the only people that matter. What about people just jumping in late to the franchise who see value in extras like the features the home console versions of ports have that are not in the arcade? It's kind of like saying people who play racing simulators are better than people who play arcade racing games like wipeout. It's all in the mind. You want to see yourself as more important to these companies, when in reality these are businesses that cater to whoever has money at the time. The original games in the arcade has bugs and often get updates. Which version you see as the best version is not important in the grand scheme of things since only the few who can spot difference will be affected by it.

tournament "authentic to arcade" player: "Oh no the original version was the best since guile can do buggy tricks that were not possible on the home console which has inferior graphics"

home console guy: "yeah but the home version lets me use team battle, change my color of my character and allows me to be the same guy as player one to see who is better at using that character.

tournameny player: "fuck off inferior gamer. Only arcade perfection matters. I prefer emulation to ports on the home since I feel like I am playing at the arcades more and the graphics are faithful pixel perfect versions"

home console gamer: "whatever dude. We outnumber you. We make it possible for sequels to appear with our wallets when we actually pay for games. LOL No world tour mode for you, no movelist for you. Congratulation you get all the weaknesses along with the strengths of the arcade perfect version, comic book guy. All without wasting money on expensive neogeo cartridges and aiding the scalper. My money is going to helping the company make new games so that one day they can keep the business alive. We are all equal because money makes it happen. Stop this pixel count nonsense. Without money you won't be allowed to see stuff like tatsunoko vs capcom sequels and things like that. "
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote:Tournament level players are not the only people playing fighting games and casuals far outnumber them which is why money from the non-tourney players is an important thing to factor. It's like saying fighting games wouldn't exist if tournaments were never held for them. You sir are an idiot.
Overall sales help early on, tournament popularity keeps a game alive. There's a reason companies like Capcom get so involved in tournaments, and organisations like Mad Catz and Evil Geniuses sponsor tournament players. Ever wondered why we have MCZ|Daigo and EG|Justin Wong, and not EB|GameHED?

You aren't the target audience for companies like Capcom and SNK, sorry dude.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Uh no. Street Fighter almost didn't get made. The times are changing. Look at the next DMC game. It is aimed at the kiddie audience in order to make it more up to date with the direction of the nu capcom.

No I don't believe capcom is aiming at the tourney players because they put shortcuts like launch buttons in mvc3. It is there more to invite newer guys into the franchis not because it necessarily enhances the experience. Just like putting waggle features in metal slug anthology on wii. The waggle doesn't make throwing a grenade easier or boost performance. It is to appeal to less serious gamers.

Try again. Long term interest is not as big a reason to keep making sequels as overall audience. Since casuals and non-tourney players outnumber hardcore "fighting game only" gamers capcom must think about the larger group first in deciding whether to do new sequels with big engine changes.

SF3 failure was proof of this because not many people liked the characters in it. Your a small picture guy. I can sympathise with fighting game community because they have to deal with this reality but people who think they are somehow more "important" to a business because they have some belief that love = importance are deluding themselves. Megaman and Resident Evil are loved series, but they are getting more COD-like or just being destroyed because the suits simply don't care about you. LOL The big decision is made by the bean counters.

Truth hurts. Welcome to the world of reptilians controlling things and causing people to leave companies to go indie to give fans what they really need/desire.

No offense to SF players, but SF is milked now and able to be created mostly because the guy had to disobey the top level people. That's my view on this. It's all about risk and money. Not how much you play the game at home or trophies you won at a tournament. That stuff is important for bug-testing and balance fixing. Not profits. You are crazy if you think tournements are what determine if a series should continue or not. Why is diablo 3 not as loved by diablo gamers? Because the top level people prefer making the game accessible. I don't condone the dumbing down. Just pointing out how money is the driving factor to keeping a series going.

So for neo geo, when you buy an inferior port it still counts as money. But even if a port is not faithful to arcade (which pisses off tournament players who only interested in competitive play) that doesn't mean it is not liked by the rest of us who do not play at tournaments. We might even already have the arcade board but want to buy the port for extras like having more characters or other things. Tournament players might seem important to you, but they are presented that way sort of to market the game. "wow this guy endorses the purchase of the title and since he is liked by less skilled gamers he must be right at everything he says about the quality of the title" But this is ignoring the fact that ports can have things that contain features and gimmicks that non-tourney players find important to THEM. Like training modes or maybe having more things in the game or even something like changing speed settings which arcade version didn't have.

I think about the big picture. Not just what tourney players look at which is how good is the game in high level play. People when reviewing a game need to look at other things like how many more new characters were included in the new version vs the last version and whether the difference is even noticable to the larger masses who are thinking of buying it but don't know if the changes will matter much.
Then there are things like whether you think the game is more fun than the last game because of the new system, vs the old system despite the new system being less fair at the high level. For instance if you could play a game with 50 characters in it with very unique styles of controls and discplines that set them all apart ..but the game was unbalanced at high level play because of the sheer number of characters, ..would that be considered "better overall" than last years game which only had 30 characters but had better high level tournament play scene because it was more finetuned due to being older and having longer balance testing?

You want to simplify everything down to what some other guy told you. It's not that simple. You have to appeal to casuals and let them know why they should buy the new version. (maybe it has more content, modes, a new graphic engine, tighter interface to get to the menu you want with less effort and wasted time etc)

This stuff doesn't matter to you because you just think one group of people is more important than another which is not true. How can you continue a franchise if only a very select few people buy the game? You can't. And as big as online gaming might seem to YOU it is inferior to local multiplayer to people living in a country where it is very easy to go to their house to play together with no lag. You defend online play mainly because you live in a country where people are spaced wide apart in rural farming nation so it is understandable the bias for it. But that is more to do with you, and your friends living far away, not the reality. for everyone else who might live close by or even prefer playing on handhelds on a train because it is less hassle for them, than to order others to meet at their house on a big screen.

You have goggles that make you see things in the narrow minded view of a guy inside a dark cave isolated from other people. This is not as important as the masses of people who buy the games because of fun (they only want to play against people they can see) not because high level tournament players told them it is ok to buy it. That is just guys on some internet board not the world.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$130 now
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Wow, with Prime that is damn tempting.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Just in case those of you didn't know there are some new game cards coming out too.
NeoGeo X Classics Volume 1:
Metal Slug 2, Sengoku, and Top Hunter
link

NeoGeo X Classics Volume 2:
Samurai Shodown 3, Savage Reign, and Super Sidekicks 3
link

NeoGeo X Classics Volume 3:
The King of Fighters '96, Blazing Star, and Kizuna Encounter
link

NeoGeo X Classics Volume 4:
Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Shock Troopers, and World Heroes 2 Jet
link

NeoGeo X Classics Volume 5:
The Last Blade, Art of Fighting 3, and Breaker's Revenge
link

I think it would have been better to give us the power to choose the roms and then order them like toppings on a pizza. This way you don't waste money on games you won't play.
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Can't you just rename downloaded ROMS and swap them onto the card as you like?
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

yeah you can.

But they might crack down on it later I heard with new model versions of this. (maybe they deliberately don't do it in order to make it more appealing and boost sales of this?) This is for those who want to support the company (fans/principled gamers) with actual money. :P

found a youtube vid with side by side comparison of the neogeo vs neogeo x:
Really it is not as bad as some of the *critics say it is. The joystick is great. The analogue nub is better than the ngpc which I loved, and the games although not as good as owning the original, are good enough for the vast majority of the retro gaming crowd who let's face it are not going to bother hunting down carts.

I just wish this thing had more games. (telease them all at once, not a staggered release. Last Blade 1 and 2 should be together in one set as with all the metal slug titles)
I remember there was a samurai shodown anthology on psp a while ago. They should just do something like that with this as a bundle set. Why waste time? Older games in a series should be bundled with newer games in a series. Not scattered.

*the critics are probably just collectors who feel threatened by the release of new stuff because it means it lessen the demand for the originals which they want to later feel are worth more than they really are? (happens in action figure circles where re-releases of rarer or older products makes the value of the originals seem less special after they are more widely available) Just stand back from the tv so your eyes can't notice the slightly more blurred images. And use the HDMI cable ffs. these games were built for CRT in 4:3 on tiny screen. Not massive home theatre. (no filters included here) And for those who are pc gamers the stick works great with it.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Think I'll stick with the superior original carts, thanks.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Carts are not portable and nobody wants to damage them. You would be better storing them to keep them in good condition and play emulated roms on the bus with this gadget imo. At some point the equipment might fail.
Last edited by GameHED on 28 Mar 2013 09:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yeah but real gamers don't play fighting games against the CPU on the bus.

Me, I'll stick to the superior original carts against my fellow tournament players.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote:Ever wondered why we have MCZ|Daigo and EG|Justin Wong, and not EB|GameHED?
Fuck I lol'd. :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

While I stick with a nice light portable and leave the heavy old shit in the home. The 90s are over buddy. I doubt you will find anyone playing old games like this anywhere as new fighters are being released. (KOF13, SSF, MVC3, possible Darkstalkers sequel etc)
Last edited by GameHED on 28 Mar 2013 09:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I spent hours last weekend playing Mark of The Wolves against friends - in person.

:suicide: EB|GameHED :suicide:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Ok so there is one other guy who plays an old fighter. Wow. The 90s are over. The people who own carts is limited. Nobody is going to keep old shit forever when they can just as easily use roms and load these up or play on a nice little portable on the bus. Next you'll say you played international karate on the c64 with mates. Way to not get the point. Ownning carts doesn't mean you can't also enjoy the emulated stuff. You don't need to own an original metal slug 1 cart to enjoy metal slug on a portable. The emulation is just as good as playing the arcade. It's the same game. Only now you can play it on the bus on a new gadget and feel good knowing it was a legit device. Dude I own the original CD of music which can be ripped to other devices. Does that mean I should shun the music that isn't on a cd? God you are retarded fanboy. :roll: If you bought the carts you did so only because you got them for a bargain, not because it was practical to pay for them at regular prices when they were originally sold new. You are not special for playing from it. You are not unique or superior. LOL As a wannabe, you just do it to fit in with a group to feel elite which you are not. (back when this stuff was created technology was shit so it seemed awesome due to our low expectations at the time. Those days are over and the 1990s are over; the new slimmer, lighter, and cheaper and more-practical alternative is the cool thing now. Now go and listen to music on a huge CD using a CD player on a bus you tard. LOL)
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

Is Neo Geo coming out on Ouya?
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

a new package is on offer so you can get all 5 volumes in one box:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... or-25-each" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will end up getting this since I didn't buy the seperate volumes. That fighting game with the guy who uses a boomerang: I never played that one before. Looks pretty cool.