Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: THOUGHTS ON ROBBING YOUR OWN CHILD OF THE MAGIC OF NINTE

Post by t0mby »

Hercy wrote:
Jasper wrote:Hercy...cut the "unbiased gamer" act! :wanker:

You have for OVER A DECADE been trashing Nintendo on PlayNOW!/Games-Ranch. You are NEVER, EVER going to enjoy playing a Nintendo Switch game, for the simple reason you DON'T want to enjoy any Nintendo game. :roll:

It's time for you to sell your Nintendo Switch. You're just not worthy of the "Nintendo Magic". :?
I've been enjoying Sonic Mania.

Which incidentally has a higher Metacritic rating than Mario Rabbids.
Ooooh, sick burn! :up:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Re: THOUGHTS ON ROBBING YOUR OWN CHILD OF THE MAGIC OF NINTE

Post by Jasper »

Sonic Mania NEEDED a high Metacritic score to keep the bitter & homeless/console-less Sega nerds from slitting their wrists. If this game ended up being terrible, it would have resulted in a mass suicide amongst Sega dweebs. :suicide:

After DECADES of awful Sonic games....you pathetic losers finally got a Sonic game worth playing. That alone deserves extra points in any review that what seemed like an impossibility finally happened. :P

Too bad Sonic Mania (a mostly copy and pasted 2D Sonic game with 30 year old graphics) is the absolute best you can expect of the Sonic franchise. :lol:

Your precious Sonic will forever remain stuck in 2D, and will NEVER graduate to a quality 3D platformer like the upcoming Super Mario Odyssey for the Nintendo Switch that's just over 5 weeks away from release! :D

Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

METROID: SAMUS RETURNS (OMFG...THE REVIEWS ARE INCREDIBLE!)

Post by Jasper »

Metroid: Samus Returns (for Nintendo 3DS) reviews are starting to appear, and they are fucking fantastic! :up:

Metroid: Samus Returns is both a re-imagining & remake of the 1991 classic Metroid II: Return of Samus. Note the director & soundtrack composer of Super Metroid headed the development of this game (likewise both are also heading the development of Metroid Prime 4 for Nintendo Switch). 8)

The game is scheduled for release on Saturday. :up:

Game Informer - 9.7/10

Samus Returns has enough unique content that it feels like a worthy sequel. This might be Samus’ first 2D adventure in more than a dozen years, but it’s a great reminder of why we fell in love with the franchise in the first place.

Gamespot - 9/10

Samus Returns is both a return to form and a look to the potential future for 2D Metroid games, where combat plays a bigger role and exploration involves clever thinking rather than persistent guessing. Fans get more than they bargained (and hoped) for, and everyone else gets an excellent 2D action game with one of the most captivating and capable video game heroes around.

Polygon - 9/10

To call Metroid: Samus Returns a remake feels unfair. Remakes are old games with new coats of paint: an upgrade in resolution here, reworked artwork there. Samus Returns is far more than that. It’s a top-to-bottom reimagining, bringing the bones of a game that’s over 25 years old into the modern era with fantastic results.

Inside Gamer - 9/10

Metroid: Samus Returns offers everything fans of the Metroid franchise want. Thanks to the clear gameworld structure, its a tremendously enjoyable experience. Samus Returns is a fantastic return of one of the toughest heroines in the game-industry.

US Gamer - 5/5

I was delighted by Metroid: Samus Returns as it hits every note you hope to see in a Metroid game. This dramatic reinvention reinvigorates the source material and strengthens the story's bridge to Super Metroid. In short: They nailed it.
Last edited by Jasper on 12 Sep 2017 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Re: METROID: SAMUS RETURNS (OMFG...THE REVIEWS ARE INCREDIBL

Post by Madmya »

But what about Eurogamer?
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Just announced... :)

The NES Mini is back by popular demand!!! (https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/1629 ... snes-stock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Madmya wrote:But what about Eurogamer?
Dude, you missed my post.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Nintendo release new platform that is a hybrid handheld/console

Nintendo pledge full development support to said hybrid

Hybrid goes its first year without a single exclusive game worth buying the system for

Nintendo releases a new 2D Metroid for their old, obsolete handheld platform

...makes sense?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Eurogamer
It all adds up to an underwhelming return.

MercurySteam now has the curious distinction of being the one developer to have worked on both Metroid and Castlevania on the 3DS and fallen wide of the mark on both.

This isn't quite the disappointment that was Mirrors of Fate, and there's a hard-edged gem to be found in what was always going to be a troubled exercise.

Samus Returns is ultimately a noble remake that fixes so many of the original's problems, but it doesn't do so without introducing a handful of its own
Incredible?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... 4-xbox-one" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Okami HD with 4k support coming to all platforms in December!!
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

So Eurogamer didn't enjoy it...therefore it cancels out all the incredible reviews? :?

An 88 Metacritic score for an active adventure shooter is MOTHERFUCKING AMAZING... :up:

In fact, I think it may even be the highest Metacritc score for any active adventure shooter in a very, very long time! :shock:

As for why the game is on 3DS...it actually it makes perfect sense. :?

There are almost 70 MILLION 3DS's sold! Nintendo had no choice but to throw a few more games 3DS's way before dropping it.

Besides they only have one 3DS game left in development and that's Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (scheduled for release in November). :wink:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Eurogamer
It all adds up to an underwhelming return.

MercurySteam now has the curious distinction of being the one developer to have worked on both Metroid and Castlevania on the 3DS and fallen wide of the mark on both.

This isn't quite the disappointment that was Mirrors of Fate, and there's a hard-edged gem to be found in what was always going to be a troubled exercise.

Samus Returns is ultimately a noble remake that fixes so many of the original's problems, but it doesn't do so without introducing a handful of its own
Wow what a dud. Another flop pimped by Jasper :lol:

The best comment in the review is how in this inferior version (AM2R is for serious Metroid fans like myself) Samus looks like a cosplayer in an ill-fitting suit :lol: :fight: :lol:
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Oh, poor Candy Arse has lost the plot as he comes to the relisation that Metroid: Samus Returns is the LAST Metroid game he is EVER going to play! :cry:

Candy Arse wrote:Metroid Prime 4 is a deal sealer

Candy Arse > :fight
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Samus Returns sounds good, but it's no Shadow Complex.
5/5 Giant Bomb
Shadow Complex is an incredibly well-made game that finally grabs the "Metroidvania" subgenre and drags it into the modern era instead of relegating it to a land of remakes or portable games.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Jasper wrote:Oh, poor Candy Arse has lost the plot as he comes to the relisation that Metroid: Samus Returns is the LAST Metroid game he is EVER going to play! :cry:

Candy Arse wrote:Metroid Prime 4 is a deal sealer

Candy Arse > :fight
It'll be great on my PC :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Also why would I play the "underwhelming" Samus Returns when I can play the superior AM2R?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... definitive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rayman Legends - vastly inferior on Switch
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Was tempted to get Samus Returns but I finished Metroid 2 three times when I was 10 years old, no need to revisit it again.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Jeff Gerstmann talking Mario Rabbids on the latest Bombcast...

"I like it less the more I play it"

"Tedious"

"Wears out its welcome"

Think I'll stick with XCOM!
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

:suicide: Jasper :suicide:
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

What a fucking amazing Nintendo Direct presentation... :up:
Nintendo 3DS Tidbits:

* New Pokemon themed 3DS coming soon...

* New trailers for Pokemon: Ultra Sun/Moon, Mario Party: The Top 100, Kirby: Battle Royale...
Last edited by Jasper on 14 Sep 2017 09:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Nintendo Switch Tidbits:

* Nintendo is releasing arcade classic games (with multiplayer functionality) for the Nintendo Switch. This includes the likes of arcade classics such as Balloon Fight, Ice Climbers, Pinball, Clu Clu Land, Punch-Out, etc...

* A brand new Kirby platformer is coming to Nintendo Switch early next year...

* Brand new Splatoon 2 and ARMS DLC content announced.

* Pokken Tournament DX demo now available to download on the Nintendo eShop.

* Skyrim releases on November 17th.

* Square Enix have announced Dragon Quest Builders 2 for Nintendo Switch.

* Tencent will start releasing Nintendo Switch versions of their globally popular smartphone games - starting with MOBA: Arena of Valor (which currently has 200 million players worldwide).

* Sega's Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to Nintendo Switch...

* Resident Evil Revelations & Resident Evil Revelations 2 bundle coming to Nintendo Switch later this year...

* LA Noire coming to Nintendo Switch later this year...

* DOOM & Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus coming to Nintendo Switch...

Last edited by Jasper on 14 Sep 2017 09:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Brand new The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild amiibo's launching later this year to coincide with the launch of BOTW's "The Champions Ballad" DLC (which includes a brand new story, a brand new dungeon, additional challenges, etc)....

Brand new trailer for Fire Emblem Warriors for Nintendo Switch (releasing October 20th). Also a collection edition bundle was announced...

Brand new trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for Nintendo Switch (releasing November 10th). Also a collection edition bundle was announced...
Last edited by Jasper on 14 Sep 2017 10:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

A brand new trailer for Square Enix's Nintendo Switch exclusive RPG - Project Octopath Traveler ...

A playable demo is now available on the Nintendo eShop!

Last edited by Jasper on 14 Sep 2017 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY SWITCH BUNDLE (PLUS BRAND NEW TRAILER)!

Post by Jasper »

Brand new trailer for Super Mario Odyssey. Also a bundle is scheduled for release when the game releases on October 27th...
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage

Last edited by Jasper on 14 Sep 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Candy Arse wrote:Jeff Gerstmann talking Mario Rabbids on the latest Bombcast...

"I like it less the more I play it"

"Tedious"

"Wears out its welcome"

Think I'll stick with XCOM!
This sounds a lot like my experience.

I’ve played enough of this now that I can give it an unbiased opinion.

I already put my early impressions in this shit thread, and my views on the broken levelling mechanic and the effect it has on re-playing levels hasn’t changed. Overall the game is just too easy. A lot of reviewers wrote about a difficulty spike mid-game. I think that’s because reviewers tend to rush through games to get their review out for release at a time when people are looking for reviews and clicks are up for grabs. Rushing through the game means that you wouldn’t go back to do the challenge missions, and so wouldn’t level up your team as much, and so you would experience a more difficult game (as far as story missions go).

A quick aside for people who haven’t played the game. The game has 60-70 main story missions split across 4 worlds, and once you’ve completed all the story missions in a world, it unlocks 8 more challenge missions in that world. As I’ve written about previously, this is a double edged sword. Either you do the challenge missions as you go, which makes the main story missions a cakewalk, or you don’t do the challenge missions as you go – which means that you will never want to do them because when you come back your team will be way too high level and beating them is trivial. So your choice is either to be challenged by the challenge missions, or be challenged by the story missions, but you can not do both. You essentially have to decide what half of the game you want to play and what half will be a mindless drudgery.

There’s no need or incentive to get good at this game. All you need to do is play it enough that you earn enough coins to buy the best weapons. Or come back to a level later when your team is overpowered.

This problem is tied in to the fact that the game does not have any selectable difficulty settings. Xcom has 5 difficulty settings so that people of any skill level can enjoy it, and as you become experienced enough to exploit the AI and game mechanics, you can raise the difficulty level to keep things challenging. M+R has one difficulty setting which could charitably be described as “easy”, and then at the start of every mission it invites you to press Y to change to easy mode, which could charitably be described as “press Y to win”.

The content between stages which involves various sliding block and switch puzzles could only be viewed as padding and filler. Obviously they were concerned that if the game just took you from battle to battle that people would feel like this isn’t a full game; that it’s a budget title a la Sonic Mania. They needed the “geoscape” from Xcom to break up the battles and this is their attempt to flesh out the game. However, the content is boring and trite. Think about it this way – if the puzzle elements were a stand alone game, would you play them? I don’t think anyone could honestly say “yes”. They’re like the planet scanning from Mass Effect 2. Pointless, repetitive, not fun busy work that I’d rather not do, but am forced to do to access the rest of the game content.

The overall feeling of the game is that it is like a mobile phone game. It’s something to play in the ad breaks of a TV show or while boring Laura is on screen on The Bachelor. It doesn’t demand much attention and it can be put down mid-battle because there’s not much going on at any point in time. It’s also hard to play in large blocks because ultimately it’s all very same-y and you find your attention drifting off to other things.

Overall I could only recommend this game to children, to people who want a lite-tactics game that won’t give them much trouble, and to people who only judge games relative to what is available on Nintendo consoles and not the wider marketplace.

5/10