XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY SWITCH BUNDLE (PLUS BRAND NEW TRAILE

Post by lestat »

The red switch looks nicer than the neon/black ones imo.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

This year...the battle for which Nintendo game will be crowned GOTY is going to be fucking hard! :shock:

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: METROID: SAMUS RETURNS (OMFG...THE REVIEWS ARE INCREDIBL

Post by Candy Arse »

Hercy wrote:
Candy Arse wrote:Jeff Gerstmann talking Mario Rabbids on the latest Bombcast...

"I like it less the more I play it"

"Tedious"

"Wears out its welcome"

Think I'll stick with XCOM!
This sounds a lot like my experience.

I’ve played enough of this now that I can give it an unbiased opinion.

I already put my early impressions in this shit thread, and my views on the broken levelling mechanic and the effect it has on re-playing levels hasn’t changed. Overall the game is just too easy. A lot of reviewers wrote about a difficulty spike mid-game. I think that’s because reviewers tend to rush through games to get their review out for release at a time when people are looking for reviews and clicks are up for grabs. Rushing through the game means that you wouldn’t go back to do the challenge missions, and so wouldn’t level up your team as much, and so you would experience a more difficult game (as far as story missions go).

A quick aside for people who haven’t played the game. The game has 60-70 main story missions split across 4 worlds, and once you’ve completed all the story missions in a world, it unlocks 8 more challenge missions in that world. As I’ve written about previously, this is a double edged sword. Either you do the challenge missions as you go, which makes the main story missions a cakewalk, or you don’t do the challenge missions as you go – which means that you will never want to do them because when you come back your team will be way too high level and beating them is trivial. So your choice is either to be challenged by the challenge missions, or be challenged by the story missions, but you can not do both. You essentially have to decide what half of the game you want to play and what half will be a mindless drudgery.

There’s no need or incentive to get good at this game. All you need to do is play it enough that you earn enough coins to buy the best weapons. Or come back to a level later when your team is overpowered.

This problem is tied in to the fact that the game does not have any selectable difficulty settings. Xcom has 5 difficulty settings so that people of any skill level can enjoy it, and as you become experienced enough to exploit the AI and game mechanics, you can raise the difficulty level to keep things challenging. M+R has one difficulty setting which could charitably be described as “easy”, and then at the start of every mission it invites you to press Y to change to easy mode, which could charitably be described as “press Y to win”.

The content between stages which involves various sliding block and switch puzzles could only be viewed as padding and filler. Obviously they were concerned that if the game just took you from battle to battle that people would feel like this isn’t a full game; that it’s a budget title a la Sonic Mania. They needed the “geoscape” from Xcom to break up the battles and this is their attempt to flesh out the game. However, the content is boring and trite. Think about it this way – if the puzzle elements were a stand alone game, would you play them? I don’t think anyone could honestly say “yes”. They’re like the planet scanning from Mass Effect 2. Pointless, repetitive, not fun busy work that I’d rather not do, but am forced to do to access the rest of the game content.

The overall feeling of the game is that it is like a mobile phone game. It’s something to play in the ad breaks of a TV show or while boring Laura is on screen on The Bachelor. It doesn’t demand much attention and it can be put down mid-battle because there’s not much going on at any point in time. It’s also hard to play in large blocks because ultimately it’s all very same-y and you find your attention drifting off to other things.

Overall I could only recommend this game to children, to people who want a lite-tactics game that won’t give them much trouble, and to people who only judge games relative to what is available on Nintendo consoles and not the wider marketplace.

5/10
Great post. It does seem like this game got the 40% Nintendo bump...
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

The Super Mario Odyssey Nintendo Switch bundle also includes a sticker set! :keke:

Also we have confirmation that the Australian version of the bundle comes with a physical copy of Super Mario Odyssey and not a digital download! :up:

guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Was damn interested in that Mario pack.....then I saw what they are charging for it :lol: :lol:

How can they justify that price for such underpowered hardware :lol: :lol:
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

"Tedious"

"Wears out its welcome"

I think I'd rather play it myself than listen to that fucking idiot who is so ho hum about almost every game he plays. Fucking moron doesn't enjoy Yoshi's Island at all! Fuck is wrong with him! I'm hanging for Samus Returns. And Mario odyssey is going to be incredible!
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

guttermouth wrote:Was damn interested in that Mario pack.....then I saw what they are charging for it :lol: :lol:

The Super Mario Odyssey Nintendo Switch bundle has a RRP that is EXACTLY equal to that of a RRP of a Nintendo Switch and a RRP of a Nintendo first party game. WTF did you want them to do...sell it to you for a discounted price? Fool! :down:

At least you get the travel pouch & stickers for free! :P

Also are you forgetting you have confessed your CRIMINAL behaviour...of STEALING from Nintendo by ILLEGALLY downloading Nintendo IP roms? :?

How dare you assume Nintendo would want thieving trash like you as a customer! :roll:

The Nintendo Switch was Nintendo's fastest selling gaming system at launch and continues to be a phenomenal success around the world. Trust me..they don't need you nor do they want you as a customer. :down:
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

OMFG!!! I JUST REALISED THE IMPORTANCE OF TODAY!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's national suicide prevention day...aka R U OK DAY? :up:

Candy Arse...R U OK, BITCH? :?

R U OK with the fact that you are now just 4 weeks away from the release of Super Mario Odyssey (what is likely going to be 2017's GOTY)? :?

R U OK that with missing out on what is likely 2017's GOTY...that you can no longer consider yourself a hardcore gamer (but instead a fake counterfeit gamer)? :?

I hope this "conversation has changed a life" (that would be yours) for the better and helped you realise that you need to make the switch ya bitch and grab yourself a shiny new Nintendo Switch!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Jasper on 14 Sep 2017 07:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Jasper wrote:
guttermouth wrote:Was damn interested in that Mario pack.....then I saw what they are charging for it :lol: :lol:

The Super Mario Odyssey Nintendo Switch bundle has a RRP that is EXACTLY equal to that of a RRP of a Nintendo Switch and a RRP of a Nintendo first party game. WTF did you want them to do...sell it to you for a discounted price? Fool! :down:
Fucken Oath we do, why bother having a special bundle pack when you can just buy a console and game for cheaper? We all know that the main stores will be doing g some console + a couple of games deal soon.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Jasper wrote:
Moving away from pushing the portable aspect are they? Hey look we're a real console too!
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

What are you trying to say? You can clearly see on the side of the box there's this same exact below photograph of the Nintendo Switch in portable mode. :?

Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

That's exactly what I'm saying! :lol:
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

KELP DOME! WHOOOO!
My favourite Splatoon map is coming to S2 tomorrow night. That's the big news from the direct. Also Doom, but I wonder how long my battery will last running that madness...?
I pretty much agree with your M+R thoughts Herc. You're a little more hard edge than me though. I had a lot of fun with it, so I couldn't give a game I had a lot of fun with <6.

I know most of you are either haters and/or trolling, and that's cool, but y'know what, right now for me, if I was forced to keep one console and ditch the rest, it'd be the Switch. Already, this machine is one of my favourite consoles I've ever owned. Up there with SNES, PS1, DC, OG Xbox, XB360.
Kudos Nintendo - you're smashing it in 2017.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Jasper wrote: Candy Arse...R U OK, BITCH? :?
Yes - I own 2 insanely powerful gaming PCs. 1 of them runs all games at 1440p 60-144fps, the other runs all games at 4k 60fps
Jasper wrote: R U OK with the fact that you are now just 4 weeks away from the release of Super Mario Odyssey (what is likely going to be 2017's GOTY)? :?
Yes - I recently bought a PS4 Pro and 4K TV combo and am enjoying a number of PS4 games unavailable on Nintendo Switch - Yakuza 0, Madden 18 and Horizon: Zero Dawn
Jasper wrote: R U OK that with missing out on what is likely 2017's GOTY...that you can no longer consider yourself a hardcore gamer (but instead a fake counterfeit gamer)? :?
Yes - I have a gigantic collection of mint condition, complete retro consoles and games to choose from. Today might be Chrono Trigger, tomorrow might be Panzer Dragoon Saga, the day after maybe KOF98?

I'm spoiled for choice. Let me know when the Switch is selling for $200 or less - I'll consider it at that price point since there are no exclusives that make the system worth buying and the 3rd party games are laughably inferior.

Meanwhile you paid $600 to play an indie version of Zelda that I know you haven't completed and is identical to the $50 Wii U version - R U OK? :lol: :fight: :lol:
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Super Mario 64 flashbacks, anyone? :wink:

Plus there's a ton of costumes... :up:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Jasper on 15 Sep 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Vince wrote:

"Tedious"

"Wears out its welcome"

I think I'd rather play it myself than listen to that fucking idiot who is so ho hum about almost every game he plays. Fucking moron doesn't enjoy Yoshi's Island at all! Fuck is wrong with him! I'm hanging for Samus Returns. And Mario odyssey is going to be incredible!
He single-handedly ensured that Mario Maker was awarded GOTY in 2015. The guy just calls a spade a spade and doesn't believe in the 40% review bonus for Nintendo games.

I'll just be happy if Mario Odyssey is better than its mediocre predecessor Mario Sunshine.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Jasper wrote:What a fucking amazing Nintendo Direct presentation... :up:
Nintendo 3DS Tidbits:

* New Pokemon themed 3DS coming soon...

* New trailers for Pokemon: Ultra Sun/Moon, Mario Party: The Top 100, Kirby: Battle Royale...
Great - so Nintendo release a new platform, verbally commit full support for it...then release no games worth buying on it while continuing to release games for 3DS.

This company is fucked. No wonder Sony is destroying them.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

WTF are you on about? :?

Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon is merely the same game as Pokemon Sun/Moon (released) last year - with some minor upgrades. Note that Nintendo aren't developing this game.

Kirby Battle Royale likewise isn't being developed by Nintendo.

Mario Party: The Top 100 is a compilation game of old Mario Party games. It's also not being developed by Nintendo.

There is literally not a single 3DS game being developed by Nintendo. Pretty much obvious they are ready to give 3DS the flick next year. :P
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

"Next year" :lol:

Pretty clear Nintendo has no faith in the Switch.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Switch is too bulky for kids to carry around the school yard. Hell the adults I've seen lugging it around, it looks huge.

They need to do a switch mini/lite to replace the 3DS eventually and at a much lower price point.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

So the Nintendo Switch continues to annihilate both the PS4 and XB1. Anyone else getting bored of Nintendo thrashing the competition? :?

Nintendo had the best-selling console once again last month in the United States, according to the industry-tracking firm The NPD Group. The hybrid handheld/home Switch system outsold Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

&

Nintendo has sold more than 1.5 million units of it's heavily supply constrained Switch game system in its home country of Japan since it's launch in March. To put that into perspective, the Switch is significantly outpacing the PlayStation 4's debut, which took more than twice as long to record 1.5 million sales.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Would be less boring if the Switch had any games to play - instead we're getting new 3DS games.
flipswitch
que
que

SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY SWITCH BUNDLE (PLUS BRAND NEW TRAILER)!

Post by flipswitch »

That's pretty damn impressive though and probably one of the reasons we're seeing more third-party support. But I thought the Switch was hard to find in the US?

There is a new demo on eshop, Project Octopath Traveler, just under 700mb. It's in the coming soon section, just scroll all the way down to find it. 5-6hrs long apparently.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Fantastic 3rd party support! 30fps versions of games that run 4k 60fps on PC :lol: :up: :lol:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

A lot of support seems to be indy games and games with low system requirements.

Nintendo still haven't caught on with the fact they need to offer systems with more power to attract the bulk of 3rd party.

I know switch being a portable limits that, but still they could have offered a more powerful docked chip solution.