Yes, SEGA is fucking with us.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Re: Yes, SEGA is fucking with us.

Post by Mavy »

Maybe they'll release a dockable handheld switch clone since Nintendo don't really have any competition in that market.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Maybe a Fighters Megamix 2. Man that was a good game.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

unfnknblvbl wrote:Even if it's just Sega partnering with Analogue on something...
Would love this.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

How did you remember this thread?
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

F for Fake wrote:How did you remember this thread?
I just searched threads with Sega in the title and thought this one would be appropriate for the news I stumbled across.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

It won't happen because it was never a super popular franchise to begin with but would kill for a Skies of Arcadia sequel. Still my favourite JRPG.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'd kill for a re-release, since I never got to play the original. Same with Shining Force III and Panzer Dragoon Saga. I'm still bitter about those!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

So with games like Yakuza finally coming onto Microsoft and on to Game Pass.. are we going to get Sega Series X for Asia? A partnership with Microsoft where they become the hardware name for Asia and a exclusive publisher with Microsoft to be able to create new SEGA IP?

If so.. that fuck me what a win. Without their own hardware it means they haven't been able to do anything risky since the Dreamcast but I think my idea here would shake the gaming world. I'm not talking that SEGA is purchased by Microsoft but a partnership with SEGA appearing as the console hardware to get going in Japan market as well as to create as if they own the hardware without the risk.

Bookmark it.. I've solved the riddle.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Also Yakuza 7 as Sega Series X launch title adds weight to my theory.

Issue will be all the people like me wanting a Sega branded Xbox instead of the one we get inflating Jap numbers.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Makes sense, been a lot of Sega games coming to game pass recently and it would solve MS' headache of not having the first party chops to take on Sony on their home ground. Even a tie up with MS that makes their older Dreamcast games available would be killer.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Sega and MS partnering up again, Sega don't have the resources to build a top end console, MS have branding problems in Japan and Sega IP could help in that region.

Sounds like a perfect marriage. Not the first time they've done a collaboration like this, remember windows CE on Dreamcast.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

If this deal (if it is what we think it is) gives Sega the rights to the console to treat it as if it was there's development wise with Microsoft backstopping the cost then that is fantastic news for us gamers. You won't get new things like Space Channel 5 etc without something like this, it's too risky cost wise without your own hardware to push it on.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Guessing it will be some sort of white labelling deal, the benefits will be better Japanese support for the Xbox platform and exclusive Sega titles/IP.

MS should just buy a big stake in Sega.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Seems like a big week for gaming news coming up, hope none of it is as disappointing as Microsoft's third-party "gameplay" reveal :(
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

The good thing is, if it’s on Xbox, it’s on PC.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Froggy wrote:So with games like Yakuza finally coming onto Microsoft and on to Game Pass.. are we going to get Sega Series X for Asia? A partnership with Microsoft where they become the hardware name for Asia and a exclusive publisher with Microsoft to be able to create new SEGA IP?

If so.. that fuck me what a win. Without their own hardware it means they haven't been able to do anything risky since the Dreamcast but I think my idea here would shake the gaming world. I'm not talking that SEGA is purchased by Microsoft but a partnership with SEGA appearing as the console hardware to get going in Japan market as well as to create as if they own the hardware without the risk.

Did you really work this out yourself?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

If Sega is really getting into bed with MS as a tie up that makes the next Xbox an absolute purchase day one. One of the reasons I was so excited for the OG Xbox was JSRF. I'll be getting a 'Sega' Xbox when I am back in Japan next.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

If there is a Sega Series X, as if any of us are buying a Microsoft Series X ahaha
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

lestat wrote:MS have branding problems in Japan and Sega IP could help in that region.
I'd like to say that I don't think Japanese people are stupid enough to fall for that, but here we are.
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

Does the physical size of the console still factor in as an issue in Japan? Is the series X more acceptable size wise than the OG Xbox?

Would Sega branding help that? Is Sony gonna have the same issue anyway?
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Watch lestat lose his shit and get all excited again till a few months down the line. :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Mavy wrote:Does the physical size of the console still factor in as an issue in Japan? Is the series X more acceptable size wise than the OG Xbox?

The size of the OG Xbox was completely overblown by the Western press at the time - I remember seeing some DVD recorders from the time that were just as phat and every home had one. The biggest thing that killed it was the complete lack of interest in the console. I remember when I bought mine, the only people interested in it were foreigners homesick for the Halo games. It died a pretty swift death - I remember picking up an OG Xbox plus about 5 games for around $250 new. To MS' credit, they REALLY pushed the 360. It even had a few small wins. I think this is a very smart play by MS. Japanese aren't stupid but if Sega are given free reign in Japan to tailor the hardware to the market they could have a winner.
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

I would really love for this to turn out to be true if only for Sega to have a seat at the table again.

Though I wonder whether it dilutes the Xbox brand? In Japan probably not since it's practically non existent now but I could potentially see a limited edition Sega series X being released in the West (cause money). That could hurt the brand if it causes confusion about which is the real console.

Who knows. I want one.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Madmya wrote:
Froggy wrote:So with games like Yakuza finally coming onto Microsoft and on to Game Pass.. are we going to get Sega Series X for Asia? A partnership with Microsoft where they become the hardware name for Asia and a exclusive publisher with Microsoft to be able to create new SEGA IP?

Did you really work this out yourself?
Well sort of, was reading about and then had the epiphany but then judging by Lestat's tweet there maybe if I had twitter I might have saved my brain some work. I think it'll be more than just a white label though, I think it will be carte blanche to act as if it was your own propriety hardware so go for your life creating for it instead of Microsoft buying a stake in them or something other equity deal like that. Sega is still massive in Japan and loved, imagine if it means we start getting some of those arcade games with accessories again?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Rorschach wrote:
Mavy wrote:Does the physical size of the console still factor in as an issue in Japan? Is the series X more acceptable size wise than the OG Xbox?

The size of the OG Xbox was completely overblown by the Western press at the time - I remember seeing some DVD recorders from the time that were just as phat and every home had one. The biggest thing that killed it was the complete lack of interest in the console. I remember when I bought mine, the only people interested in it were foreigners homesick for the Halo games. It died a pretty swift death - I remember picking up an OG Xbox plus about 5 games for around $250 new. To MS' credit, they REALLY pushed the 360. It even had a few small wins. I think this is a very smart play by MS. Japanese aren't stupid but if Sega are given free reign in Japan to tailor the hardware to the market they could have a winner.
Can't go any worse than they are now, the shelf space for xbox is small to zero and whats on the shelf are years old xbox games. If you still want a shrink wrapped Forza Horizon 3 or Fifa 15 well you're in luck.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!