Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

GOTY - Alan Wake 2

Post by Madmya »

Well I've been waiting for Deef to create this thread but it seems that won't be happening, and I can't allow it to not have a thread at all.

Remedy fanboy here, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this forum (well, unless we're only talking about 'active users'), but this could be their best yet. The original was excellent and it still holds up well today (regularly on sale, do yourself a favour and get the remastered version), but the sequel seems to dial down the combat and ramp up the story and atmosphere.

There are two protagonists, Alan and FBI agent Saga. Saga's story seems to be more like the original Alan Wake and set in Bright Falls (I assume), only the gameplay seems to have a taken some cues from Resident Evil in terms of item management which I'm all for.

Alan, however, appears still stuck in the other realm, which appears to have really cool gameplay twists.

October 27th. Also, it's cheaper than Sonic Superstars.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: GOTY - Alan Wake 2

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Remedy fanboy + 1 so am all over this. I've got Alan Wake Remastered and am saving it to do an Alan Wake double with the sequel hits. How did you find Remastered? I'm sure it's an improvement but I love the look of Alan Wake 1 and wonder whether the extra fidelity dilutes the original atmosphere.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Yeah am looking forward to this, the end of this year is loaded. 3 weeks to go on this one yeah still Oct 17th? I loved the first one and I came into that I reckon for something ridiculous like $10 bucks when it was on clearance. Hopefully no performance issues like control had but I'll have it on SX anyway so let's hope it's running well on that, I did Control on the PC but it wasn't the same.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Impressions videos from a few outlets are landing and are extremely positive. I'm avoiding them for now as I want to go in fresh. This is looking really good. :up:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

This is one game where I just feel so much confidence that it'll be great, so I'm not surprised. I'm with you though, other than the videos I posted above, I'm going in cold from here.

The remastered version of Alan Wake looks great. I never really considered that the atmosphere would be diluted, so now I'm a bit curious to go back and see the original again, but there were certainly times when I was playing the game in the woods and was thinking to myself about just how good this looks, still.
Froggy wrote: 26 Sep 2023 06:33 pm 3 weeks to go on this one yeah still Oct 17th?
No, it got delayed 10 days to the 27th about a month or so ago. Dat crunch.

On a side note, playing the remastered version again got me irked about how Control was the Remedy game that received all of the accolades, but Alan Wake and Quantum Break didn't, when I think those two are superior.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Madmya wrote: 30 Sep 2023 11:04 am No, it got delayed 10 days to the 27th about a month or so ago. Dat crunch.

On a side note, playing the remastered version again got me irked about how Control was the Remedy game that received all of the accolades, but Alan Wake and Quantum Break didn't, when I think those two are superior.
Gahhh delay. This puts it close to like a dragon the man called kiryu with no name. Gonna be hard to find space here with this delay, so many quality games hitting end of this year, it's a feast. I see this being bumped was probably the cause of the Alone in the Dark reboot being bumped out from the same time to Jan 2024, it'd have been swallowed up around Halloween by this.

Qauntum Breaks biggest issue for me was the performance on consoles was terrible, that's probably it's biggest drawback and why it doesn't get the credit but yeah was great. Control also had the same issue but was also relatively poor on PCs too from what I remember due to wanting to use Ray Tracing. It was OK with it off but not quite the same.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
flipswitch
que
que

GOTY - Alan Wake 2

Post by flipswitch »

IMG_7136.jpg
Steep requirements, now just imagine how this will perform on console.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I'll find out Friday! :nana:
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I'm back in Control knocking off the AWE expansion. I'd like to go Alan Wake Remastered before AW2 but time is always the enemy vs how many videogames I'd like to play.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

All the reviews, it's delivering. I just don't have time to play it probably until Christmas due to all the other games. Insane how many games hitting this end of year/Christmas season.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Remedy fanboy +1 as well. Quantum Break was the first game I bought when I picked up my One X a few months before the Series X launch, amazing game. Currently playing through Control as I picked up the Ultimate Edition for $15 in Sept when I was on the Gold Coast, it was in an EB sale.

Not really sure on whether I will buy AW2 though, I'm still not sold on an "all digital" future since there's no retail release. Maybe I'll cave but until then I will be revisiting AW Remastered.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Finished the Control AWE expansion and am playing through AW Remastered now with Sam Lake's lastest remastered version commentary. It's cool to see how the lore from AWE slots into AW1. Really looking foward to starting AW2.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

t0mby, AW2 runs better on XBSX than PS5, if you intend to play it.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

flipswitch wrote: 10 Nov 2023 05:51 pm t0mby, AW2 runs better on XBSX than PS5, if you intend to play it.
Thanks Flip, Xbox would be the platform choice for Remedy games.

Hope you're keeping well.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Alan Wake Remastered is a bit shit. The good thing is my concern about the modern effects diluting the original atmosphere isn't much to worry about. I've turned the brightness right down and the game looks nicely dark. The problem is it's buggy. Artifacts, occasional black screen (fixed by pausing to menu and returning) and one particularly annoying, almost game-breaking bug in chapter 2 that saw a lift/platform necessary to progress clipping into a staircase. Tried to glitch my way through but no-go. Eventually followed advice online which said replaying the chapter fixed the lift. It was a pretty hard stretch of gameplay so I wasn't thrilled to redo it but it thankfully worked. Otherwise I'm really enjoying playing it again.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

t0mby wrote: 10 Nov 2023 10:43 pm
flipswitch wrote: 10 Nov 2023 05:51 pm t0mby, AW2 runs better on XBSX than PS5, if you intend to play it.
Thanks Flip, Xbox would be the platform choice for Remedy games.

Hope you're keeping well.
Hi mate, good to hear from you. I am doing well and hope you and your family are as well. :up:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Peppermint Lounge wrote: 11 Nov 2023 01:11 pm Alan Wake Remastered is a bit shit. The good thing is my concern about the modern effects diluting the original atmosphere isn't much to worry about. I've turned the brightness right down and the game looks nicely dark. The problem is it's buggy. Artifacts, occasional black screen (fixed by pausing to menu and returning) and one particularly annoying, almost game-breaking bug in chapter 2 that saw a lift/platform necessary to progress clipping into a staircase. Tried to glitch my way through but no-go. Eventually followed advice online which said replaying the chapter fixed the lift. It was a pretty hard stretch of gameplay so I wasn't thrilled to redo it but it thankfully worked. Otherwise I'm really enjoying playing it again.
PC version?

I've just played through it nearly twice (going through it on Nightmare a second time but ran out of time before AW2 released), and I've never come across any weird glitches. It's been a well-polished product in my experience, but this seems to be the norm these days - console releases are generally more polished.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Peppermint Lounge wrote: 09 Nov 2023 07:46 pm Finished the Control AWE expansion and am playing through AW Remastered now with Sam Lake's lastest remastered version commentary. It's cool to see how the lore from AWE slots into AW1. Really looking foward to starting AW2.
I probably should have finished Control before playing AW2, as Control lore is very much all over AW2.

I'm loving this game by the way, but its intensity is up several notches over the original. It's far, far scarier and I don't do scary well.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Madmya wrote: 18 Nov 2023 01:03 pm PC version?
Yep. The black screens (UI still visible) is a Ryzen thing apparently. Pretty sure I read the Playstation version had the glitched lift/platform also during my search for a solution.

I finished it the other night. Still absolutely love it. Starting AW2 tonight.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Peppermint Lounge wrote: 19 Nov 2023 08:16 pm
Madmya wrote: 18 Nov 2023 01:03 pm PC version?
Yep. The black screens (UI still visible) is a Ryzen thing apparently. Pretty sure I read the Playstation version had the glitched lift/platform also during my search for a solution.

I finished it the other night. Still absolutely love it. Starting AW2 tonight.
I was thinking of picking Remastered up.. but then thought I should just buy the cheap 360 version. Apparently the music is the original sound track in the 360 version but licencing meant they had to change music for the remastered version. Does the music make that much of a difference?
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Remastered version has the same music. There was an issue a while back that saw Alan Wake removed due to licensing issues but it was returned soon after.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Madmya wrote: 18 Nov 2023 01:05 pmI'm loving this game by the way, but its intensity is up several notches over the original. It's far, far scarier and I don't do scary well.
God damn it's amazing. Still getting to grips with combat but they've nailed that survival horror desperation. I feel like I'm wasting far too much batteries and ammo while scrambling to weaken and disptach enemies.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Just needed to say that the Herald of Darkness is fucking amazing. That whole scene. Fuck me. Top 10 of best gaming moments of my life.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I would imagine playing the first title is necessary to understand AW2?
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

flipswitch wrote: 29 Jan 2024 12:15 am I would imagine playing the first title is necessary to understand AW2?
I think it will definitely heighten the experience. There's a fair bit of story to it and I think there is probably a decent enough longplay to watch on youtube if you just don't want to do it but I am certainly glad I played it late last year in prep for AW2