Star Citizen

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Star Citizen

Post by Candy Arse »

A bit of an inflammatory thread topic, but it gets the job done.

http://gamingbolt.com/stars-of-barathru ... t-art-leak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking more like Valve's next game is an "open-world" space sim of some kind - Stars of Barathrum. The concept art looks interesting enough but the big hook here for me is that it's Valve and you're virtually guaranteed a fantastic game. I happen to have an old soft spot for this genre so I'm hoping we learn more soon.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris Roberts has a kickstarter for Star Citizen, and this looks like the real deal. High-end PCs, hardcore space sim (no sign of any Kilrathi). The videos on the site look shit hot (CryEngine 3), but being a kickstarter it isn't a lock.
Last edited by Candy Arse on 12 Apr 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Re: Chris Roberts vs Valve? Wing Commander/Freespace fans en

Post by Madmya »

Mmmm new Valve game? I'm in.
GW2cameout

Post by GW2cameout »

I'm conflicted because I sunk hundreds of hours into Freelancer. But Chris Roberts does not have a stellar record at finishing games without a publisher nailing him to the wall on dates. On the other hand when they're eventually finished they're fucking fantastic.

I might grab an Early Adopters package but I think even a delivery date of November 2014 is highly optimistic.
Burnzoire wuz right
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Can't wait to see how both of these pan out.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

same. I fucking love space sims <3
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Didn't realise Chris Roberts was behind Starlancer... I loved that game. It's really the only space sim I've played (if it is a space sim) courtesy of the Dreamcast.

Edit: Wow, that's a tempting Kickstarter pitch.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

It is just rumour. No point hoping.

What if it is not true?
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Dj Flextacy
Mr 60FPS
XBL ID: flextacy
PSN ID: flextacy

Post by Dj Flextacy »

I'm a huge Wing Commander fan, i've been dying for a new one for so long.. the closest thing i've gotten is that darkstar one or whatever it's called, and whilst the space flight in it is very well done, seeing the exact same woman at every space station and have her greet you in quite possibly the worst voiced lines ive ever heard really spoilt it for me.. where as WC i loved the characters, be it the CG ones or the Hamill ones. What baffles me with WC in general though is both WC3 and 4 had a phenominal cast, with the proper space vehicles, and kilrathi, yet they go and make that wing commander movie with prinz, what a disaster.. i always hoped for a wing commander movie, the scope available and what they could do with it, could make that movie franchise go up against the big ones... yet they did that movie.

A new Elite, Wing Commander would be fantastic..

The new game being made looks promising.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Star Citizen

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PC space sims. Remember those? Wing Commander & Privateer may be among the ones you remember most. Well the dude behind this was behind those games too. Eve fans would blow loads over how gorgeous vision looks thus far (CryEngine 3). Very much pending with a target date of December 2014. 2015 at the earliest then if at all given Kickstarter is cited as one of the funding vehicles. Thus far funding targets are said to have been smashed.

The video presentation is rather long with physics demoed alongside the pretty pictures.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Re: Star Citizen

Post by Madmya »

Pretty sure we have a thread on this with others that are excited. With good reason too, looks to be a cracker.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Oops. GameHED, this thread is yours.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

topic merge!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:run: :run: :run: :run: :run: :run:
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Excellent. Haven't played a space sim since Starlancer and before that, Elite. SO glad I have a rig to play it with!
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yup I think I'm in for this too..
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Star Citizen

+1. PC space sim. As 'master race' as it gets.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

It's the first game I've seen since I went full blown master race that seems to have warranted the outlay. It's like Crimson Skies in space..which I suppose is Rogue Squadron.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Gees that was a terribly frustrating demonstration to watch. Looks good but.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I thought the narrator was Fozzie Bear..or Bert of Bert and Ernie fame.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

It was like watching a dad try to play games... like Cletus and Grey.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

There is also a sequel to Elite, Elite: Dangerous. Great year for Space Sims! I haven't played one since Project Sylpheed on 360, which was pretty good too.
Although that looks a bit more arcadey than Star Citizen imo.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Madmya wrote:It was like watching a dad try to play games... like Cletus and Grey.
Or Elf, Lepo, Selfish, Lestat, MX, Ministry....others.

You just made enemies, pal.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Haha, dads. Sux to be playing kiddie games.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I don't get why Star Citizen wasn't something big publishers would back instead of the community of fans who like them. With all the money they raised are the publishers braindead?

What I would like to see is games where you exit the ships and get to go on foot or swim with thruster backpack thing and jack the ships by opening the locks using hacking devices. (think cortana using her hacking ability to aid you in breaking the locks) Once under your control the ship can act as remote piloted drone. Just like the android Bishop did it in Aliens with the dropship thing. Remember how he managed to bring it remotely to escape with ripley?

It's time these games gave us the same freedoms we have in open world GTA titles but in space. I want to go inside the fucking ships see the toilets in FPV, watch tv, talk to npcs, look out the windows etc like you do in open world titles but inside a ship. I get it they want to show us combat but the immersion is just as important. You should be able to walk into the bar, order a drink and the droid makes it and you live the lifestyle of a person in space where it is dangerous like people exploring new islands at sea for the first time and not knowing what to expect. If pirates raid you and try to get inside, you should be able to fight them inside the ship too if they manage to come aboard. You can play that like a COD or Halo game in FPV. I don't know why companies like bethesda don't try a "elder scrolls for space". (three basic classes: space knights with melee power which obey strict codes of honour, space cowboys with high tech blasters, and space rogues who use stealthy hacking skills and illegal alien drugs to enhance their ability which I guess makes them dark mages who can read languages the quickest to make use of ancient knowledge most effectively)

There is not just space fighters but bombers and cargo (holds your supplies and the merchandise) and other types of spacecraft which you have control over and come with you. Perhaps carriers which hold the fighters and robot drones inside them to kill enemies from gun turret. We all saw star wars and want to be Luke but don't forget the bigger, uglier, non-sleek vehicles.

Car combat games do it well the fastest car is not the best vehicle. Sometimes in confined spaces where speed isn't important, having bulky armor with more powerful shield and heavy guns is better than moving quick and using lock on space missiles/torpedoes which would just blow up in your face at close range. There may even be gimmicks unique to each ship like the special moves of each character in fighting games. Star wars was only about speed and maneuverability. I like the space sim genre but they are too much trying to be like flight sims and not space combat titles with depth that you see in other genres. If you eject from a ship that should not be the end. You physically get sent a rescue vehicle and continue. Just like getting out of a car and jacking another one. Someone should have backup team to get you back into another one. (some ships should let you escape into a escape pod type vehicle which is like a mini fighter. Think of it like a secret 'escape mode' that you see in james bond movies) Show us stuff we don't usually see in other sims.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Elite Dangerous is looking great. It appears to be a much bigger, open, sandbox style game than Star Citizen. The manual docking procedure looks good.