Bully 1up review - 10/10

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:
lestat wrote:TDU is pretty ground breaking imo, how many mmo racing games do you know where you drive around a GPS accurate island without any pauses. It's just not possible on last gen hardware.
TDU is releasing on PS2 and PSP.
With no accounts as to how 'dumbed down' it will be. Both the PS2 and the PSP are load-whore systems, so it would be an amazing feat if they could produce as load-free an experience as is available on the 360 (even taking into account the fact that the graphics will be severely compromised, and the game likely not in 16:9).
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

I envy people who don't find enough good games to satisfy them on the 360. Wish I had that much time!
Oh I've got enough good games to satisfy me, so I'm not sure what lestat's on about... got Lumines now, and I've been meaning to get back into SF2 for weeks. Finished Tomb Raider the other day, and about 1/3 of the way through Burnout Revenge. But Guitar Hero has been my favourite game of late, so that gets the most attention.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I didn't say shit about the PS2 titles being ground-breaking, they're just FUN.
So now it's only about fun. :rolleyes:

Make your mind up. Does it have to be ground breaking to be fun? It seems like that's some screwed up criteria you have when assessing 360 games as to whether you'll enjoy them.
TDU is pretty broken by all accounts, and I don't have time to be playing any MM stuff. I tried the demo and hated it.
Of course you've tried the limited demo, so you are an authority on whether it's broken or not. :rolleyes:
Chromehounds also got middling reviews, it's more online stuff, I'm after single player games, but REGARDLESS, the titles you mention AREN'T particularly ground-breaking, or when they're meant to be, they're totally broken. I was listening to a podcast last week where they were so fucking pissed off that TDU was STILL fucked.
Chromehounds has been a lot of fun online, which is what the game is really designed to be, I'm curious what this pod cast was complaining about in regards to TDU? What is so broken? Also I've probably had the most fun I've had in a long time, playing COD2 online with fellow ranchers, same goes with PGR3. If it's all about fun mech, you're missing out on the great online angle which introduces a whole level of fun you've been missing it seems.
The rest of your post you ramble on about upcoming stuff, which is irrelevent, and you still fail to impress - yes Gears of War looks good, and while Viva Pinata looks interesting it's certainly not ground-breaking. Put your bias aside for a sec, and stop thinking I'm saying things I'm not. You and Pat both. I'm not saying 360 games suck, or that its future release schedule sucks, I'm just saying I've been playing a shitload of PS2 lately (thanks to SOTC, Guitar Hero, Katamari and God of War) and not as much 360. Oh and that PS2's had an amazing run of late, given how old it is. That's it.
Those games are pretty old mech, why are you complaining about current 360 releases when you're still playing old ps2 games from 6+ months ago. Just sounds like you're being pessimistic about next gen games expecting more than what you'll get. Next gen isn't going to be all that ground breaking, just like when you go to the movies these days. Things have progressed to the point in games where there isn't a lot new you can do. There will the odd game that comes and breaks new ground, but doesn't mean you can't enjoy games that take an existing forumula and improve the visuals, audio, immersiveness to give a great FUN experience.
If just cause is anything to go by, it's gonna be a terrible. Plus i don't know how they're gonna do the online angle with 2 systems that have broken online in the first place.
mech

Post by mech »

Make your mind up. Does it have to be ground breaking to be fun? It seems like that's some screwed up criteria you have when assessing 360 games as to whether you'll enjoy them.
You're the one who first mentioned "ground-breaking". The first thing I mentioned was "awesome games" and that's it. My mind's already made up - fun = awesome.
Of course you've tried the limited demo, so you are an authority on whether it's broken or not.
As I said again and again, I'm not saying it's broken, the people online who are playing it whose podcasts I listen to are saying it's broken.
Chromehounds has been a lot of fun online, which is what the game is really designed to be, I'm curious what this pod cast was complaining about in regards to TDU? What is so broken?
They were saying a lot of things were turned off in TDU because the server couldn't handle the load and it hasn't been turned back on. As for other stuff, fucks me, I listened to it two weeks ago and haven't played the game so it all went right over my head but the guy was SO pissed off that he gave the game such a good review because they turned off so much of the shit he had fun with like 3 days after it came out.
Also I've probably had the most fun I've had in a long time, playing COD2 online with fellow ranchers, same goes with PGR3. If it's all about fun mech, you're missing out on the great online angle which introduces a whole level of fun you've been missing it seems.
Yeah CoD2 was awesome fun, I played it on PC. PGR3 is also a great game, thinking of picking it up. WHY ARE YOU GOING ON THIS LINE OF ATTACK LESTAT, IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. I LOVE MY 360. My PS2 is just getting played a bit more atm, and I already said in the first place that WAS IRRELEVENT.

I'm not missing out on fun atm btw, but thanks for checking :up: Way too many awesome games to play atm.
Those games are pretty old mech, why are you complaining about current 360 releases when you're still playing old ps2 games from 6+ months ago. Just sounds like you're being pessimistic about next gen games expecting more than what you'll get. Next gen isn't going to be all that ground breaking, just like when you go to the movies these days. Things have progressed to the point in games where there isn't a lot new you can do. There will the odd game that comes and breaks new ground, but doesn't mean you can't enjoy games that take an existing forumula and improve the visuals, audio, immersiveness to give a great FUN experience.
I'm not "complaining", but the "launch" games have definitely been better than recent games, which have been good but not my cup of tea, and certainly nothing amazing - that Dead Rising is the best of the bunch is saying something. I'm fucking NOT being pessimistic about next-gen, man, LIKE I SAID IN MY LAST POST, STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. There are a heap of 360 games coming out in the near future which I'm very much looking forward to, like GoW and CoD3.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

mech wrote:
I envy people who don't find enough good games to satisfy them on the 360. Wish I had that much time!
Oh I've got enough good games to satisfy me, so I'm not sure what lestat's on about... got Lumines now, and I've been meaning to get back into SF2 for weeks. Finished Tomb Raider the other day, and about 1/3 of the way through Burnout Revenge. But Guitar Hero has been my favourite game of late, so that gets the most attention.
Yeah, Guitar Hero games are good fun.. plus you feel like you are actually doing something, as opposed to most video games.

Online CoD2 is good fun, even against Yanks.. :P Think I missed the boat on playing against fellow GR'rs. I'll have to get CoD3 when it is released, and show you all how crap I am.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

mech wrote: You're the one who first mentioned "ground-breaking". The first thing I mentioned was "awesome games" and that's it. My mind's already made up - fun = awesome.
But you asked for ground breaking examples, if you didn't care for it why ask? Personally i think games that do something new is also part of the fun, like anything in life, the first time you experience something it can be a lot more enjoyable than repeat viewings.
As I said again and again, I'm not saying it's broken, the people online who are playing it whose podcasts I listen to are saying it's broken.

They were saying a lot of things were turned off in TDU because the server couldn't handle the load and it hasn't been turned back on. As for other stuff, fucks me, I listened to it two weeks ago and haven't played the game so it all went right over my head but the guy was SO pissed off that he gave the game such a good review because they turned off so much of the shit he had fun with like 3 days after it came out.
I haven't experience that and actually qutie a few ranchers here are really enjoying the game. Like any online game there is bound to be some sort of downtime on servers. You're in IT you know that. Sounds like these guys are just venting. Just because the server has some downtime doesn't make the game broken, if thats the case the whole internet is literally broken.
Yeah CoD2 was awesome fun, I played it on PC. PGR3 is also a great game, thinking of picking it up. WHY ARE YOU GOING ON THIS LINE OF ATTACK LESTAT, IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. I LOVE MY 360. My PS2 is just getting played a bit more atm, and I already said in the first place that WAS IRRELEVENT.

I'm not missing out on fun atm btw, but thanks for checking :up: Way too many awesome games to play atm.
Yes there are way to many games to enjoy, I'm only going this angle because you're on this other angle using your anecdotal evidence as reasoning behind why you think the 360 is lagging in great games.
I'm not "complaining", but the "launch" games have definitely been better than recent games, which have been good but not my cup of tea, and certainly nothing amazing - that Dead Rising is the best of the bunch is saying something. I'm fucking NOT being pessimistic about next-gen, man, LIKE I SAID IN MY LAST POST, STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. There are a heap of 360 games coming out in the near future which I'm very much looking forward to, like GoW and CoD3.
Mid year for game releases is always slow, A lot of ps2 games we get here mid year are delayed releases from months ago that the us already got. Even then there have only been a handful of really memorable games. We all know it's about the 4th quarter and 1st quater for games. Where publishers time their games for Christmas. The ones that miss the boat then get released early in the year and then we go back into that slow period again. My point is i'm gonna be broke from all the 360 games i want to buy in the next 6 weeks. The complaint about slow releases is nothing new for the preriod of the year and it's will be greatly rectified very soon. Actually even today, SC:DA is out, awesome! :up:
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

DjBigK wrote:
Peppermint Lounge wrote:
lestat wrote:TDU is pretty ground breaking imo, how many mmo racing games do you know where you drive around a GPS accurate island without any pauses. It's just not possible on last gen hardware.
With no accounts as to how 'dumbed down' it will be. Both the PS2 and the PSP are load-whore systems, so it would be an amazing feat if they could produce as load-free an experience as is available on the 360 (even taking into account the fact that the graphics will be severely compromised, and the game likely not in 16:9).
The PSP version will be :wink:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Online CoD2 is good fun, even against Yanks.. Razz Think I missed the boat on playing against fellow GR'rs. I'll have to get CoD3 when it is released, and show you all how crap I am.
We'll be playing again in the next few days once mr gun gets his 360 back, he was our dedicated host. So you can show us all how crap you are sooner than later. ;)
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Microsoft themselves referring to a lack of games post launch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Microsoft admits first-party 360 release bungle(News)by Johnny Minkley
18/10/06 16:58

A senior Microsoft executive has admitted that the firm bungled its release schedule earlier this year on Xbox 360, resulting in gaps which were "too long from a first-party".

Speaking to our sister site GamesIndustry.biz, Microsoft Games Studio general manager Phil Spencer acknowledged the disappointment the firm had caused consumers and retailers with a staggering 210-day void between first-party releases Dead Or Alive 4 on 27th Janaury, and Ninety-Nine Nights on 25th August in the UK.

"I won't duck the question. Obviously our job as a first-party publisher is to lead on our platform and to create content not only that appeals to a broad set of customers, but also content that comes out with a regular pacing to continue to freshen the shelves," Spencer said. "But I wouldn't disagree with you that there were periods this year where there were gaps that were too long from first-party."

Microsoft's gaming blackspot was mirrored by a paucity of heavyweight third-party releases over a particular barren summer during which the firm arguably failed to capitalise on good early momentum and the absence of Sony's rival PlayStation 3 system.

"Obviously launch was a very challenging time - I was very proud of the three launch titles we had in Kameo, Perfect Dark and Project Gotham. To have three launch games is a good statement from a first-party," Spencer insisted. "We would love it if the pacing of our first-party games fit exactly with the calendar, but sometimes they don't."

However, Spencer promised that, having negotiated through this unconvincing period, Microsoft Games Studios and third parties were now hitting their stride with Christmas approaching.

"The more rosy picture is our pacing going forward; it's set up where you won't see those gaps," he claimed. "You see the set-up now on the platform, starting with Viva Pinata, then Gears of War, Crackdown, Forza, Mass Effect, Fable 2, Halo 3. We understand the production of the game such that I feel very good about the strength of the quality of the portfolio and, to your point, the timeliness of the portfolio on 360."

He continued: "[But] we're not going to let the date drive when a first party game comes out, because a bad first-party game coming out at the right time doesn't matter."

UK Xbox boss Neil Thompson backed this up, telling GI.biz: "When you bring out a platform, there's a ramp up phase that you go through and a lot of third-parties as well as ourselves look to the Christmas season as a key point to release some of the bigger franchise titles.

"The platform is more than first-party, and from a third-party point of view, we've got a great offering out there. By Christmas there'll be 160 games on the platform and I think that's pretty good choice."
Next year will be a lot better with Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Forza 2, Alan Wake, etc.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

lestat wrote:
Online CoD2 is good fun, even against Yanks.. Razz Think I missed the boat on playing against fellow GR'rs. I'll have to get CoD3 when it is released, and show you all how crap I am.
We'll be playing again in the next few days once mr gun gets his 360 back, he was our dedicated host. So you can show us all how crap you are sooner than later. ;)
Let me know when.. :) I'll have to hire it out to coincide (was using a mates copy when I played). I was hoping the lack of knowledge of the maps in CoD3 when it was released would be a leveller.. oh wells... easy kills coming your way!
mech

Post by mech »

But you asked for ground breaking examples, if you didn't care for it why ask? Personally i think games that do something new is also part of the fun, like anything in life, the first time you experience something it can be a lot more enjoyable than repeat viewings.
Because YOU started harping on about how ground breaking the titles were, and I haven't seen them. I was just curious to what you were even talking about.
I haven't experience that and actually qutie a few ranchers here are really enjoying the game. Like any online game there is bound to be some sort of downtime on servers. You're in IT you know that. Sounds like these guys are just venting. Just because the server has some downtime doesn't make the game broken, if thats the case the whole internet is literally broken.
Look, no point arguing with me about this because A) I haven't played the main game and B) I'm not into this kind of thing. All I know is that Garnett Lee from 1up said that the game was fundamentally broken and that they were taking way too long to fix it. THAT'S IT.
Yes there are way to many games to enjoy, I'm only going this angle because you're on this other angle using your anecdotal evidence as reasoning behind why you think the 360 is lagging in great games.
I NEVER SAID IT WAS LAGGING IN GREAT GAMES. It has heaps of awesome games, but most of them came out at the end of last year and the start of this year. I said that PS2's release schedule of late has been better than 360, and it has been - as Pep pointed out, even Microsoft admits this year has been pretty patchy.

Meanwhile 360's release schedule is finally about to ramp up with some absolutely awesome titles (again, as Pep said).
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Pep microsofts comments are in regard to their own first party efforts, which i agree have been shit all year. 3rd parties have been keeping things going as well as any first year console goes. A lot of stuff too slated by ms for end of year like Forza/crackdown have all been pushed back. Next year should be much better for first party and they probably need it more to entice people away from ps3.

Like i was saying before, ps2 has had it's last hurrah, but honestly next year for ps2 is looking pretty weak, In terms of next gen content on 360/ps3/wii it's off the hook. Consumers will be more or less starting to get pushed into next gen systems.
mech

Post by mech »

Yes, next year is looking very strong for 360 and very weak for PS2, I will certainly agree with that.

The next year in gaming looks freaking amazing to tell you the truth. I've never been so spoiled with so many great games to play.

Speaking of which, Sam n Max is out on Gametap and will be out through Telltale's website in the next couple of weeks.. JOY!!
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Sam n Max!! Wooohooo!! What are the likely Specs for this going to be? I'm hoping I can run it on something shite lying around until I buy my new PC.

Perhaps we should start a Sam n Max thead...
Pat

Post by Pat »

Now that the attention has successfully been diverted away from me, I'd just like to point out that PS2 owners should be reverting to "collect what you can" mode rather than "wait for the next big release" mode because it's winding down.

So then ... about Bully?
Arthas

Post by Arthas »

Yeah someone should start a Bully thread, been hearing good things about it...oh wait :o
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

I don't hate on the 360s release list for this year, I picked up Dead Rising Burnout DOA PGR Kameo Oblivion COD2 PDZ(UGH).. That's an OK list of games I would buy regardless of it being a console launch or not (Except PDZ).

Other GR folk picked up games like TDU and Saints Row, but I really hold no interst in those games because TDU to me is just so sub par with the controls and the MMO aspect isn't enough to keep me coming back while Saints Row just is nowhere near as fun as any of the GTA games thanks to its awfull story/humour/etc.

I picked up more PS2 games this year than 360 games, but I don't think the 360 had a bad selection like some here are saying.. It's just that the PS2 had such an amazing selection, and I fully expect that trend to continue till q2 next year (Ofcourse the 360 selection will go into overdrive this christmas so things will be different).
Pat

Post by Pat »

Ive been happy with 360 releases such as Prey, Table Tennis and now Splinter Cell. I havent had much time to get stuck into others so far, but the live aspect has made up for any shortcomings in the release schedule imo.