Xbox 720p and PS4fps

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Re: Xbox 720 and PS4

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

It's all early days atm... but based on what has been shown so far... I think it is looking quite unlikely that I will be staying with the Xbox. I don't agree with the needing an internet connection. I don''t agree with the 2nd hand game situation (I do think however prices for Xbox One games will be somewhat adjusted to accommodate this... ie second hand games will be a tad cheaper for Xbox One games due to the additional pinch from MS). I don't like the 4 way D-pad. The size of the Kinect is ridiculous and they are tripping balls if they think that will sit on top of a TV - unless you buy the Microsoft Kinect shelf accessory that is... the one that will be a piece of plastic that slots onto the top of your TV and costs an additional $40.

It's meant to be about the games but MS didn't make the launch about the games.. sure Call of Duty.. but meh.. whatever.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

e3 will be the deciding factor. Maybe there will be a game there that uses kinect in an interesting way. Sort of like Mario 64 using analogue stick to prove 3d platformers could be made properly. Or metroid prime 3, or re4 wii proving waggle still had some non-annoying use for pointing.

I still like the concept of kinect. Just that we know third party developers who hate to take risks (because they are all about sequels) are retarded when it comes to supporting new ideas and usually it is up to in-house first party developers to lead the way.

The hardcore have to accept it. You are not their main target anymore. It's not like in the days of Xbox original came out with Halo 1. They are going for kiddies and mums and your girlfriend who wants to use fitness apps once in a while. lol They want to spy on you and shove ads in your face. That is the future for them. All they care about is helping the illuminati spy on you in your living room and try to be like google. There are more people playing phone games than dedicated handheld games.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/0 ... e_combined" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the future: non-gamers have taken over your hobby. Face the facts.

PC, with its superior "pirate editions" that strip DRM from the games, may be the only thing to save certain franchises.

And for those of you who say that "you don't see shops with second hand cds and stuff" (and then use this as reasoning for why you think it's justifiable to let the big publishers use DRM in console games):
have you forgotten shops like Rocking Horse where you can buy stuff that you don't see in the normal retail stores?
http://www.rockinghorse.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(they deal in vintage 2nd hand stuff not just new items - sort of like the music version of gametraders where you can get the retro items that are no longer easy to find due to limited print or being old)

What are the chances that once you let them get their foot in the door the music industry doesn't start to copy what the game industry is doing? After all the xbox is a multimedia box of entertainment not just about games only right? Now do you see why it's important to fight for consumer rights?
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:It's all early days atm... but based on what has been shown so far... I think it is looking quite unlikely that I will be staying with the Xbox. I don't agree with the needing an internet connection. I don''t agree with the 2nd hand game situation (I do think however prices for Xbox One games will be somewhat adjusted to accommodate this... ie second hand games will be a tad cheaper for Xbox One games due to the additional pinch from MS).
This. I've had a good run with the Xbox and I'll miss the Halo franchise and Live to an extent but always on internet, a camera that is watching you and having to pay a fee to play second hand games? No thanks. If MS rectify the situation later in the console life cycle I'll bite but for the moment I'll stick to the PS4.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Jasper wrote:
guttermouth wrote:But smart TVs don't offer Pay TV. That is the Xbox one market....
Huh? :?

You do know SMART television is doing away with the need for cable boxes?!?

Even here in Australia (where we tend to lag behind the rest of the word for these sorts of things), you can get Foxtel without needing a set top box - directly through your Samsung SMART TV.
Huh??

Internet TV?? If it ever replaces a cable box is years away.....if ever.
Foxtel went that way because their market has hits its peak. They haven't been growing for years and have gone at it in a different way, Internet TV is cheaper and no contracts. Intern you get average picture, no HD and Oohhh you need a damn good Internet connection along with an unlimited plan which would cost big dollars and your average person would not have or afford. Look it's one of your common gripes you constantly bring up :lol:

Now look at the US or Europe where there is 100s upon 100s cable stations supplying huge amounts of HD content. Then there are dozens of cable providers who send out their stations which are all encrypted differently which require cable boxes. Boxes which can read the encryption and contains a card which identifies you as a customer. So unless a Smart TV can do this, cable boxes are going no where. And until cable providers can provide all their 100s of stations at high quality picture/sound through Internet TV to millions of customers who have easy access to high speed Internet along with unmetered downloads at fair price cable boxes will exist.

So Smart TVs will have to be connected always on ehhh..... so what happens when the Internet goes down?? No Pay TV programs for you ehhh. Ohh look another of your common gripes.

Smart TVs are also referred to as Dumb TVs as well for a reason and let's not forget they become redundant after a couple of years when the next model comes out.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote:e3 will be the deciding factor.
Nice of you to copy what I said, EB|GameHED.

This E3 is going to be epic, one way or another.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Uh no eurogamer predicted the current showing of the console would just be their focus on nongame stuff and made an article explaining not to expect much game announcement stuff until later. Nobody copied you.

Many early predictions from edge and eurogamer came true. The one deciding factor is the quality of the games. I have always been saying this you noob. I never use any of the non-game features of my consoles. I think that is just a bonus. But the people trying to pimp their vision of the future want you to think these extra features are the reason to get them. (obviously because they invested a lot of effort into pushing their agenda)

Seriously though if Sony go the nintendo route of no DRM, next gen will have been won easily and I think if enough people who are angry about DRM boycott the Xbox One, MS might have to disable the checks. The best way to get people to be loyal is you reward them for registering the games with goodies. Not punish everyone by assuming they are criminals and spying on them without permission.

MS has shown they do not care about their customers with RROD for instance. They only changed when people were about to sue. Other companies apologise immediately for problems and don't make excuses. This attitude of "it's not my problem, you deal with it" is common with EA and MS. And many are starting to realise this. They simply don't want to listen to valid complaints. In the early datys of the original Xbox they were interested in hearing what people wanted in game system. Now they are going all evil. Why? They see the enormous power of spyware. Much like google with its search engine that spies on your terms and doesn't delete cookies. When companies go evil it is the duty of those feeding them money to look for alternatives.

Fact is I saw all this coming a long time ago. It used to be Xbox was a hardcore brand. Back then people were still very cynical of Microsoft products because they don't want the bad things of PC gaming to come to the console scene. (patches, updates, bugs, rushed code etc) But today you are seeing people accepting this as normal because of the asumption that people are connected to the internet so they won't mind constantly having their games changed and patched like a broken product which was not checked for quality. It's the dipping expectations that has allowed them to step on people. Does not surprise me they want to sell your info to advertisers. Google gets away with it so why shouldn't they? Corporations and governments both want to control the things you see, play, create, and do. They want to own your own property and limit what you can do with it. This is the nature of evil people I guess.

The solution to combating second hand sales is lowered prices on games. And the emphasis on value. For instance each year when a new game is released, if it doesn't improve on anything from before, you should not expect people to rush out and buy it unless it does something completely amazing and changes things to deepen the experience. They are much more likely to wait for sales and price drops. Gaming is expensive. It does not surprise me that people are turning to cheap phone games and indie game developers are turning to that scene now. This is where innovation can be brought out.
Also keep in mind that just because you put effort into making something does not mean it is everyone's cup of tea. If something sells like crap the first thing publishers want to do is blame the poor sales on the second hand market. But nobody questions why people are trading them in the first place? Was the game not good enough to keep? Why is it not worth buying full price? If EB never had people trading in old games because the games were too good to trade in, then maybe there would not be the problem of second hand sales. How come you never see copies of great titles in the 2nd hand bin often? Think about it from the buyer's perspective.

If I buy a ferrari and am happy with its performance I want to keep that car because I am happy with the money I spent on it even if I paid a lot. I am not going to sell it 2 weeks after owning it unless there is something even better out there I want or that there is something I feel isn't making me happy in the long term about it. To blame the second hand seller is just an excuse for people who make dodgy products or overprice them to begin with.

It's no different to a person going into a movie theatre and realising the movie sucks and asking for their money back. If you are not making the buyer happy you failed to give them something worth the $ they spent. I think customer satisfaction is the most important thing. Look at xbox360 RROD as an example. Nobody liked RROD and some turned to PC gaming after that experience due to being burned once. If people are not HAPPY with your product (despite you making a lot of money selling a dodgy item) they will eventually look for alternatives and go elsewhere. This is natural. It's not the pirates (who never want to spend money) or 2nd hand sellers (who are doing nothing illegal) fault. It's your inability to make your own buyers happy enough to want to OWN your stuff. That is the root of it. Make stuff good enough that people are happy about, (to pay the high asking price) so they don't trade it due to buyers remorse or because the game is made obsolete by other newer games that are better than it which the person is trading it in for. (this is normal. PC gamers do it all the time with hardware when they want to upgrade the hardware for better performance so they don't have to keep old shit they don't want)
Last edited by GameHED on 23 May 2013 01:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Lack of backwards compatibility doesn't bother me. What does bother me is a lack of current compatibility. I am surely in the minority on this but my current gaming backlog has highlighted the issue.
Right now I'm playing my PS2 backlog (Suikoden III at this moment). It occurs to me that one day I might want to go back and play Xbox One games. It occurs to me that the original Xbox's online servers were taken down 3 years ago, and that at some point Xbox One's servers will go down, too.
Microsoft flicks a switch, and I can never play my Xbox One again?
If the One has a heap of great games, I won't be happy at being unable to play them.
If the One doesn't have a heap of great games, why would I buy one?
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Exactly. The issue is bigger than just 2nd hand sales. It's about retro gaming. Shops like Gametraders are there for a reason. To feed the demand for older gamers who wish to get a hold of vintage games from the past that they feel they need to own as part of a collection or to play in their most pure form.

I've got some GBA shit like Double Dragon Advance which I paid $70 for just because I like the game a lot and because it has that old school feel to it. (like something made in the 90s when games like Final Fight and Ninja Turtles were the shit) Owning the game is a big part of being a collector. When the games are tied to an account managed by servers it just isn't the same, since if they ever stop providing the service you can never enjoy the games you bought again. This problem can be solved if they reduce the cost of games though. I would be happy to "only own a game virtually" if it meant I didn't pay high price. But this can never replace the real thing. (which is why I support retail copy of things - while also being pro-digital to co-exist for those who can't afford or find the original games anymore. Eg neogeo roms)

Retail is here to stay. If you don't like it, too bad. Games with expiration dates are an evil system designed to cheat the owners of their money. It is proven with EA who just shuts down servers when new edition of something comes out to get you all to buy the next best thing. (the software version of dreaded "Sony Timer" ) Think of DRM-supporters like Candy Arse as like Monsanto but for games instead of food. They plan to shape your opinions by posting pro-digital-only comments on boards to get you used to accepting the scheme while plotting to kill the competition (that would be shops like EBgames, JB Hifi, Gametraders etc). Yes Steam is nice to you now. But what if they go evil like Google after the bricks and mortar shops are gone?
Think about it.
Learn the history of these giants:
http://en.j-cast.com/2006/09/01002801.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is why it may be dangerous to always be online. What if they deliberately upload a virus to brick your game system or add bugs to the games you bought to make you angry? Whenever you patch something there is a small chance you introduce new bugs as they don't quality test the patch. backwards-flying dragons:
Then there is the conspiracy of making one version run worse than the other version to please one manufacturer. (ie they make software deliberately crap on purpose, wait until you register, then fix the problem after you hand over private information to them to sell to advertisers)
All kinds of schemes going on. You didn't have to put up with that shit in the old days.
I think it is because american coders are used to releasing shit earlier and rushing things out.(then fixing shit later once they have your money - it's the opposite in japan. You don't see any backwards flying rathian in monster hunter. There is discipline and reputation to care about - just like games in the old days which always just worked out of the box)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I'll be surprised if many people here buy the One based on what we now know. Might see some of you on PSN this time next year!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

It's too early to write the whole thing off. If MS come out strong at E3 with games I want to play, I'll buy the console.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

It's never too early to write of a console *cough*Wii U *cough*

:D
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

http://chiefs18.kinja.com/how-the-xbox- ... -509169613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I will be getting the One at launch since it will have games I want at launch.

As Burnz has hinted at the must have PlayStation games tend to be play once games and also tend to come later in the consoles life-cycle so I will be jumping in late with PS4 and going through a cheaper backlog.

Also even though everyone is having a big fat cry over the resources set aside for OS functions of the One, let's not forget how Sony got Caught with their pants around their ankles with the PS3 shadowing xbox1 (not Xbone) features then struggling to cram in features that were in the 360.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

But Drive Club Chaos, DRIVE CLUB!
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

It's going to be interesting when the PS4 and X1 comes out. Both said to arrive at the end of the year. Will their release dates be 1 month apart or 1 week?? The delema of purchasing what first or just fuck it and go both and live on 2 minute noodles for a few weeks.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Both console out late 2013 in AUS! (We hope) going to get intense!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED

Post by GameHED »

If you are on xbox live you will be online once a day anyway.

I think they should release 2 versions of the Xbox One.

1. the always online version with kinect. (for the social networking people)
2. the offline version without kinect and online abilities are opt-in. (all your updates can be accessed by using USB stick to update the firmware or apply patches to games which you can do at any internet cafe if you have no internet at home)

The second version is for the people in countries where internet access is not reliable and for privacy advocates who do not want pedos looking at their kids when they play games.

The DLC can be purchased through mail order like a magazine subscription. Inside is the memory stick with the extra content. You send this in each month and they send back the DLC copied to the stick.

This is the future for Xbox if they want to keep games from going Sony-exclusive next gen.

Think of the 2nd model as the tard pack. You can still install games to HDD but you just get you firmware updates through USB stick and the costs MS save can go towards other things. (people who don't want to play using waggle are not forced to use it - much like how nintendo do not force you to use waggle for games like monster hunter - options is the key to freedom)

If I can buy a ultra cheap version of Xbox One without kinect I am more likely to buy those Xbox exclusive games than if I had only one choice; ie buying the kinect version.

Think about it MS. Budget priced version. And a Kinect Version. Nintendo had the premium Wii U and the White Wii U.

The cheaper one is for the anti-social hardcore gamers who just wants to play MS exclusive games.
The Kinect model is for the family.

Ditch hardware DRM completely and revert back to giving the publishers the responsibility to add it into games with online passes. How are you fucking idiots going to get future Witcher games on it? CD Projekt Red is anti-DRM. ...Fucking EA nuthuggers. lol
If they don't follow the advice above MS is finished in consoles imo. The majority of people are going to either go PC or PS4 or both.
Last edited by GameHED on 23 May 2013 03:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

I'm slowly becoming less disappointed in the Xbox One unveiling.

The games will come at E3.

And in the end I'm hoping to buy four* of these suckers.

* Cost of major renovations pending... at the moment the fun police aren't averse to my "man-cave"... which will ideally have four systems set up on four separate monitors (I can't cope with split screening). It also relies on NBNCo getting decent pipes to my address before Abbot destroys my plans.

And yes... I am probably dreaming...
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

2min noodles. :lol:
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

guttermouth wrote:It's going to be interesting when the PS4 and X1 comes out. Both said to arrive at the end of the year. Will their release dates be 1 month apart or 1 week?? The delema of purchasing what first or just fuck it and go both and live on 2 minute noodles for a few weeks.
Don't worry you'll have plenty of time to save up because of the 6month delay that's yet to be announced. I don't think there's been a console yet that's been announced / revealed and ready at retail all in the same year.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Candy Arse wrote:Image
That is so damned good.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Cletus wrote:
Candy Arse wrote:Image
That is so damned good.
I love the tears when Freeman says 'Or buy a Wii U'. :lol:
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

can someone please explain what's so bad about always online or daily logins?
what impact does this have on gamers other than a bit more of your internet quote being used up?
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

You're assuming everyone has a decent connection to begin with (which isn't the case), but that aside, I'm on the same page as Seraph:
Seraph wrote:It occurs to me that the original Xbox's online servers were taken down 3 years ago, and that at some point Xbox One's servers will go down, too.
Microsoft flicks a switch, and I can never play my Xbox One again?
If the One has a heap of great games, I won't be happy at being unable to play them.
If the One doesn't have a heap of great games, why would I buy one?