Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by Candy Arse »

Well look at the bright side, you're in for a treat.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Woah, just completed the honey bee mission and there was a cutscene at the end! Remember them?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

OK, I'm going to have to throw this out there - this is likely going to wind up in my personal discussion of best game I've ever played.

The amount of shit it throws at you, the amount of shit you can do, the attention to the most stupid of little details (like ordering supply drops to land on Quiet's head and win the battle without doing anything else)...a gunship is looking for me, and it has plenty of ground support, when a sandstorm blows in...forcing the gunship to land while everyone else can't see squat...so I run up to the chopper, put two rockets into it and it blows up while everyone is right there but can't see me and I run off undetected...

I'm blown away by how good this game is. It takes a giant shit on every other Metal Gear game, and every other open world game. It's intelligent, hilarious, crazy, retarded and compelling all at the same time. I picked up a random cassette tape that recorded a guy taking a shit, so when guys are looking for me and I play it on the iDroid in the toilet, they won't look in the toilet because they think I'm one of their mates taking a dump.

The game ain't perfect, but it is one of those "once in a generation" type experiences.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Also everyone who trolled Ground Zeroes as a 10 minute demo is a fucking idiot. It's basically a cut-down version of Phantom Pain, there's quite a few hours' worth of shit in that game....
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Like the Saints Row 2 demo? That was so feature rich that calling it a demo also felt ridiculous. It was just a cut down version of a bigger game if you ask me.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I didn't play the SR2 demo, but that description is fairly accurate. Mind you Phantom Pain looks to be a 100 hour game, I rescued everyone in Ground Zeroes so I could upload them to Phantom Pain and it was around 9.5 hours...but I was only at 45% completion...
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Love your post about the cassette tape in the loo, never even thought of that, fucken awesome. It's the best MGS game I've played and could nudge out Snake Eater from the top spot, I need to finish more story missions first though, only done 8 of the first 10. Hard to juggle this and family life. ;)

And +1 for Ground Zeroes love. I rescued many people in that, So ranked all the normal missions too but only have a completion percentage of around 52%.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Dam i really need to finish MGS3 before i jump into this.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

You've had 10 years!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

MGS3 is one of the best games ever made...and it's 10 years old...c'mon bro. Finish MGS3, then Peace Walker, then Ground Zeroes...then you get to play something really special.

GOTY GOTY GOTY
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?

Post by cloud »

I've clocked every MG expect the ones Candy just posted..
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

By.the time you finish those The Phantom Pain will be on sale for a fiver!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

For me the Big Boss story is much more compelling than Solid Snake's...Cloud is depriving himself of the best the series has to offer.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?

Post by cloud »

I've bought PP but I don't want to touch it until I'm up to scratch story wise..
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Snake dies in the end.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?

Post by cloud »

Der I did finish 4.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

t0mby wrote:I look forward to you ranking the MGS games from your favourite to worst Candy, since you and I seem to be the only ones here that have played them all (or been vocal about it at least).

The gameplay in this game blows away the other narrow focused games. Even people who liked the others and are fanboys of the franchise have to admit this is the best.

the japanese gaming industry really needs to adapt to the changing tastes of gamers as times moves on. When you give us an open world you give us more options. When you make linear experiences you give us a movie that feels like a disney ride. We can have a disney ride inside an open world. So there is no reason future MGS should be like the originals from this point on imo. (and also why capcom need to port games like dragon's dogma to pc since it's the most western style arpg game they have done)

If you like the far cry games this is the best ever made far cry game (with metal gear skin) you'll see. What you get with open world is more emergent behavior from the things in the environment so it feels organic and less scripted. This is whatnext gen MGS game should have been back in the last gen (ps3 and xbox 360 platforms) imo.

I have played all the others. No need to ask candy arse. He pretends to be a gamer and just copies and pastes other people's opinions about gaming and passes this off as his own opinions. And unlike him I don't work inside the industry. So no bias crap like sucking Valve's balls (despite Steam not letting you own games) or promoting EA as the best gaming company on the planet just because uhhh they are big and have great sport games and buy things like movie licenses and shit. And saying pc is the best version because of graphics when you can't even play street fighter 4 in a trounament because it's a broken edition that lets hackers and shit modify codes and the framerate varies based on the player's bank account. (pay to win)

Oh yeah and gimmicks like extra screens are fucking awesome because it's part of the realism of having to monitor multiple things at once. For instance when you look down at your Pipboy in games like fallout the extra screen can display all the information that you need by looking down at it. It's part of the immersion just like drawing maps in the old dungeo crawl games where you could actually get lost. Etrian's Odyssey is one example of a game franchise that uses the two screen thing very well. Of course slow arse pc gamers can't handle realism so they would rather pause the entire world so they have time to react to things which is not as immersive.
I still wish aliens' colonial marines didn't suck so hard and wonder what that game would be like on Wii U with the tablet acting as motion detector and camera for things like sentry guns. I used to play Hired Guns on the amiga and loved the multi screen idea. Hopefully some Indie company makes a game which is similar to Hired Gus on the Wii U one day. Have 4 screens and one main screen for the current character you are using. The other screens are the other party members perspectives. A corridor shooter rpg hybrid with a science fiction theme would be fun. Make it scary and add horror into the mix. That's what could be done with multiple screens. (more people means more exploration in shorter period of time so the game would be more tactical than other games. (spreading out to save time to cover more ground, instead of grouping up into one place would mean less waste of resources like food for example)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

lestat wrote:
t0mby wrote:I said gameplay is the same ya tools. :lol:
Gameplay is impacted by controls and the PC version has support for kbam, arguably superior than controllers due to much faster and more precise aiming, makes pulling off those tranq headshots a breeze. :)
How many times do we have to point out that ps4 games can have keyboard and mouse controls too???

Haven't you played final fantasy 14? You can do all the same shit you do on pc in that game. It's no longer considered special anymore like when first person shooters only appeared on the pc in the 90s mostly.

Consoles can have games where keyboard and mice are used if they wanted to but people have gotten used to the skill needed to aim using a stick. Sort of like how we like to use DPAD in fighting games over analogue stick since analogue doesn't really do anything that you can't do with a DPAD for the arcadey style fighting games. (the sim ones might be a different story) Yes aiming is better but you need a fucking desk in the living room don't you?

How many people you know who like to play in the couch are going to hunch forward? Not that many so that is why developers seem to focus on control pad control more than keyboard and mouse. But it doesn't mean console gamers can't make use of that stuff either.

You got to remember some of us actually prefer the more arcadey controllers even for games where the core audience was for pc. When diablo 3 came to console it had features that were unique to console platform and you got a different experience with that. Which is why PC gamers need to still respect consoles since we are the cool ones and you are the ugly nerds who think japanese game developers are crap at making western style games despite platinum making a Gears of War killer and better action games than western devs who have MORE RESOURCES and more money to throw around.

"but it's on wii u so it's not superior to pc.." uhh nobody gives a fuck. If you can't design good games with refined controls that affect what is happening onscreen, then it doesn't automatically make a shit game good just because it can look nice on pc with higher specs. Play bayonetta or mario kart or any nintendo platformer. Not about graphics. And we all HAVE pc but we still prefer the console experience of playing stuff like COD or street fighter with shit graphics and standard control system to keep everything even. Also many indie games like Shovel Knight actually work better as console controlled games not with keyboards and mice. Playing some games at high resolution in some ways allows for cheating because your opponent is able to fit more data on the screen at any one time. (for example in a top down micro machines styled racer, he can see further ahead, or in a dark game he can see more shadows that signal when enemies are near which might not appear on the lower end machine and make stealth a bit harder. In a gamer where being hard to see is important, you can't hide in shadows if they don't appear on low end machine can you? ) It is a matter of balance too. (a higher resolution means sharper image which means detecting things in the distance is far easier for instance. Does that mean it's fair in a game where spotting an enemy quicker than the other usually means you are likely to win more easily? If so how is that going to affect the enjoyment of the game? Designers need to think about that. If you are playing with millions of people don't you want everyone to have the same shit as you like in splatoon where you can only win by skill not because you have better rig? )
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Vince wrote:Got the game on Xbone as a gift. Haven't gotten PC version yet... :(
Don't feel too bad the textures look as shit on console as pc in the comparison. Candy Arse forgot to mention that bit. :lol: Much like how the interface in Skyrim PC was garbage on release while the console one was ok. He loves to hide important details you see. I still remember when he criticised the 3DS port of SF4 on 3DS by saying it was broken just because it had easy mode to do charge move with a touchscreen button even though you could filter those gamers out in online mode. heehee This indicated he just copied and pasted stuff from other people instead of playing the game himself first hand. He also claimed Donkey Kong on 3DS was better than the wii version even though the Wii original had 60fps making the game a lot smoother on the home console version. Just don't trust him. He doesn't play games in depth, just compares graphics like lestat. One time he claimed the sony smash bros clone was better than smash bros even though he doesn't play smash bros and thinks it's not a fighting game. This means his lack of knowledge of the depth of smash bros cannot be taken seriously when he compares it to the clone and says the clone is best. You have to be good to be able to know the quality difference.

Remember when candy said Crackdown was shit? This game was made by the creator of GTA! That's why nobody takes his view on gaming seriously. Notice how all of a sudden NOW he is a fan of open world genre even though games like GTA and crackdown were awesome and pioneered it? lol He has no respect for the game concepts and only looks at shallow shit like how many fx the graphics display at once. :roll: That might be important for some people but remember back in the SNES days how most of the best shooters came out on the underdog the Megadrive while SNES got all the best JRPGs? This guy would rather choose one platform over the other and discriminate against game because its graphics are shit even if the gameplay on the weaker system is awesome. (ie gunstar heroes, streets of rage, etc) Did anyone ever gloat about how much better neogeo games looked compared to SNES and Megadrive? No because most people were way too busy having FUN on the weaker system thanks to the abundance of content and choice on those weaker machines. (which had more games)

If pc gamers got more exclusives then maybe we should care. But consoles are kicking their arse and he knows it. The upcoming Dues Ex game? Will probably be aimed at us cosole kids with consolified controls as usual thanks to consoles being the system of choice for most gamers. :P Most pc franchises usually end up on console. And pc gamers hate that!
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:Also everyone who trolled Ground Zeroes as a 10 minute demo is a fucking idiot. It's basically a cut-down version of Phantom Pain, there's quite a few hours' worth of shit in that game....
I think it was a matter of price. They need to make stuff cheap if its really short.

You don't trick people with a game that is tiny when people are expecting a big game. Imagine if you never went on the internet to look up news about metal gear and you came home thinking it was a full game. You'd feel ripped off wouldn't you?
That happened and the scores reflect this. It was konami deciding to cash in on the hype.
Stop defending them. We want big games not stuff like Resident Evil Mercenaries or MG GZ.
You give the customer what they want and they will love you for it. Remember when Saint's Row 3 came out and it felt like a .5 sequel? That's because its DLC dressed up as a full game. We have a right to complain if the previous game in the series is bigger better and more content rich than the sequel ok? Stupid shit. I bet you are going to bash nintendo when they do a .5 sequel to whatever popular game they make and say it's tiny game and needs to be given away free lol. It's only when game series which you are a fanboy of do it that it becomes suddenly ok. :lol:

Reviewers have to be unbiased. Unlike you they don't get to go to EB games to buy it preowned for $4. Some people buy things full price ok? And if they have complaint about watered down experience then they should be taken seriously. Remember when FPS single player campaigns felt long? Why can't we go back to the days when games were long? They can easily hire twice as many level makers and give us proper stories but they prefer not to because they want to make more profit by making it shorter. ie they are ripping us all off. Plain and simple.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

GameHED wrote:
Candy Arse wrote:Also everyone who trolled Ground Zeroes as a 10 minute demo is a fucking idiot. It's basically a cut-down version of Phantom Pain, there's quite a few hours' worth of shit in that game....
I think it was a matter of price. They need to make stuff cheap if its really short.

You don't trick people with a game that is tiny when people are expecting a big game. Imagine if you never went on the internet to look up news about metal gear and you came home thinking it was a full game. You'd feel ripped off wouldn't you?
That happened and the scores reflect this. It was konami deciding to cash in on the hype.
Stop defending them. We want big games not stuff like Resident Evil Mercenaries or MG GZ.
You give the customer what they want and they will love you for it. Remember when Saint's Row 3 came out and it felt like a .5 sequel? That's because its DLC dressed up as a full game. We have a right to complain if the previous game in the series is bigger better and more content rich than the sequel ok? Stupid shit. I bet you are going to bash nintendo when they do a .5 sequel to whatever popular game they make and say it's tiny game and needs to be given away free lol. It's only when game series which you are a fanboy of do it that it becomes suddenly ok. :lol:

Reviewers have to be unbiased. Unlike you they don't get to go to EB games to buy it preowned for $4. Some people buy things full price ok? And if they have complaint about watered down experience then they should be taken seriously. Remember when FPS single player campaigns felt long? Why can't we go back to the days when games were long? They can easily hire twice as many level makers and give us proper stories but they prefer not to because they want to make more profit by making it shorter. ie they are ripping us all off. Plain and simple.
It was cheap, $45 when it was new and it had more content than some other full priced games.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Last night I triggered a campaign episode by going into Side Ops with one of my Combat soldiers. I wanted to get the blue prints for the bionic arm which was miles away from the nearest dropzone so I took my time hunting and foraging for supplies then came into this massive area. The only downside with this was Kaz was talking to me as if I was Snake, although the cut scenes showed Snake. I was even walking around Mother Base with the soldier and other staff were saluting me like I was Big Boss. Kinda weird. I guess the mission came about because I was venturing into a new area (Quiet Episode) so I used Candys tip dropped supply crates on her. I still have episodes 8 & 9 to play yet as no other story missions are unlocked after 10. It also unlocked a trophy for using a soldier for a story mission. :up:

Going to try and squeeze in that Bionic Side Ops mission before we move house today.
Last edited by t0mby on 12 Sep 2015 07:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Get the Bionic Arm and use it immediately...so fucking awesome...
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I used the standard bionic arm by mistake about a week ago and immediately had a massive grin on my face when I heard the sound for it. Kojima must've been a fan of the Six Million Dollar man. :lol:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »