Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by ObSoLeTe »

Hideo Kojima presented a new Metal Gear Solid V trailer today at a GDC panel, confirming that Metal Gear Solid V and The Phantom Pain are the same game. The game is currently being shown on PC.
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is an open world sequel for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Hideo Kojima said at a GDC panel. However, the FOX Engine-powered gameplay and trailer shown ran off a PC.

The new trailer, which carried scenes from previous Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes trailers, showed Snake recovering from a coma. The following gameplay demo shows Snake crawling around, having a hard time navigating a hospital. A man named Ishmael helps Snake escape. The linear scene is only a tutorial for what is a large, free-flowing game, Kojima said.

After the demo, the FOX Engine was shown in detail, showing how simulated things are based on reflection values taken from photographs. It looks amazing. Perhaps too amazing for the announced platforms.
*Destructoid

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by Candy Arse »

Well yeah, sold.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Can't wait for the first Next gen console. Bring it on
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is an open world sequel for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
So ... Will the 360 be getting MGS4 any time soon??? :cry:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Haven't you played it Ambrose?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

David Hayter confirms he's NOT involved with this game.

Sad face :(
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Yeah. Apparently a bad case of laryngitis.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Boss trailer, and I second the Hayter sad face. :(

I totally missed that Garbage had released a new album last year too, checking it out now. That track's pretty good.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Echoing other thoughts: now THAT'S a trailer. Great song too.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

flipswitch wrote:Haven't you played it Ambrose?
Nope :(

It's the only one I don't own because I don't own a PS3 :(

It's a bit annoying, they release the MGS HD pack on 360, and V, but not IV :( And I'm still hopeful the original will be released on XBLA even though I still own the PSone version. Even that's borked though because my PS2 won't recognise the disc swap when you have to put in disc 2 :(
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Metal Gear Solid 4 was awesome. Worth the price of getting a PS3
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:
flipswitch wrote:Haven't you played it Ambrose?
Nope :(

It's the only one I don't own because I don't own a PS3 :(

It's a bit annoying, they release the MGS HD pack on 360, and V, but not IV :( And I'm still hopeful the original will be released on XBLA even though I still own the PSone version. Even that's borked though because my PS2 won't recognise the disc swap when you have to put in disc 2 :(
Bleemcast
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

PS3s are pretty cheap these days, as are copies of MGS4... plus you'll be able to play your copy of MGS on it. If you've skipped the PS3 so far this gen you'll probably find heaps of cool shit you've missed.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

And If you do end up buying one, skip the 12GB super slim and get something with a huge hard drive. I'm struggling with my 40GB as it is. MGS4 requires you to instal 4GB or so for each act (I believe there's 5 of them) but they overwrite each other. A new patch came out recently that allows you to install all the patches on the hard drive.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Good to see it's open world. As for the HD pack I was a bit disappointed when they didn't include MGS1.

I think you can buy this from PSN? This would have been perfect for the Vita release of MGSHD. (they took out peace walker :( What the fuck is wrong with the people who make these compilations?)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Going through the backlog at the moment and got stuck into MGS HD Collection. Going to play all of the Metal Gears in order and kicked it off with MGS 3. Never got into this game on release, the setting and controls put me off (this was when the camera was fixed to one place). Loving the HD remake though - took me a couple of hours to really get into it but now I can see what all the fuss was about. I just wish Konami would release a HD version of Peace Walker and Portable Ops for the Vita. Looking forward to MGSV, if it carries on with the improvements made in MGS4 control scheme it should be an awesome experience.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I'm currently playing the legacy collection, I opted against going in chronological order as I think it will make things harder having gameplay elements and tweaks disappear (first person shooting etc) as you go, rather than seeing the system evolve as you go. I'm playing release order, about half way through Metal Gear Solid 2 at the moment, beat the PSX version of Metal Gear Solid, but had a mess around with Twin Snakes after which seemed cool, but I realise how easy it would have been with the stuff they added in from MGS2.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Is the Twin Snakes in the legacy pack? Never got a chance to play the remake bit always wanted to.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Nah, sorry I wasn't very clear there.

You get a download token for the PSX Metal Gear Solid (& the VR Missions that came out later separately) on PSN so that's what I played through. I just happened to have the Twin Snakes for Gamecube handy and had never played it, so gave it a quick look directly after finishing the PSX one.

Thinking about it, having the Twin Snakes In the pack would have been a nice touch, but if memory serves I think they added in a few overtly Nintendo things in the game. Maybe a computer that looked like a Gamecube or something silly, so it could have been a licensing thing.

PSX version was still quite playable though.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Given lestat's obsession with 60fps I'm surprised he's not all over this game (well, Ground Zeroes) and how amazing it looks on PS4. 1080p + rock solid 60fps (in the 10 minutes I played) looks amazing.

The UI, as always, completely sucks. As in other MGS games, to change options you have to quit back to the main menu - but at the start of the game I couldn't even figure out how to do that.

Anyway, looking forward to giving this a proper bash later this week. Anyone else pick it up?
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

So you played it for 10 minutes, so I take it you finished then?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/you-ca ... 0-6418384/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are you sure it runs at 1080p/60fps? Is it only cause you have been told?
No one could point the finger at KZ multi remember :D

Think I might give this one a miss, will wait for the big boy version..
mech

Post by mech »

No one played KZ MP remember.

It looks like 1080p 60fps to me, looks awesome. Guess digital foundry will tell the full story.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

My copy of Metal Gear Sorrid Ground Zeroes arrives tomorrow. I will playing Infamous SS first though for obvious reasons. Finally something to play!
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Saving two prisoners looks like fun. I'd definitely buy it if there was nothing else to play.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Are people paying money for a PS3 demo that has been ported poorly to next gen? Or is this a different MGS release?