Shonky Awards 2006 - iPod - and resulting 360 inference ...

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat

Shonky Awards 2006 - iPod - and resulting 360 inference ...

Post by Pat »

Choice have awarded their Shonky Awards, and one of them has gone to Apple.

Here's the text:
The CHOICE iSHONK for Dual-level Shonkyness

Goes to the…

* APPLE iPod
(CHOICE Computer, Sep/Oct 2005, and CHOICE, July 2006)

An iPod is a significant investment, so you don’t want your APPLE to be a lemon. And if there is something wrong with it, you’d expect an easy repair and warranty service. Podluck.

Level 1. Several readers complained about cracked screens, faulty batteries and problems with sound reproduction.

Level 2. APPLE doesn’t allow retailers to handle complaints under warranty (which is their obligation under Fair Trading laws) — you have to send your faulty iPod to APPLE yourself via Australia Post. And if they decide the fault isn’t covered by the warranty, you’ll have to foot the entire bill.
Now, pay attention to this bit:
APPLE doesn’t allow retailers to handle complaints under warranty (which is their obligation under Fair Trading laws) — you have to send your faulty iPod to APPLE yourself via Australia Post.
I'll repeat:
which is their obligation under Fair Trading laws
So, for an item under warranty - retailers are obliged to take defective returns. And I assume this falls under the Trade Practices Act (of which Fair Trading Laws come from)?

Who knows more about this, and what do these old laws mean for those of us who get shoddy 360s/PSPs/DSes etc that apparently need to be sent to the manufacturer? A store receipt should be enough under law.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

First month you are good to go after that back to manufacturer.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Yeah, that's how it operates - but the way this article reads you should be able to deal with the retailer for the full duration of the warranty period.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

...and don't forget that some Video iPods have been shipping with a Windows virus on them...
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

If you buy an iPod you're a fool.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
Pat

Post by Pat »

What about a PSP or a Wii?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Both smarter buys than an iPod.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
Pat

Post by Pat »

First compliment Ive ever seen you pay either system. Two for one special GET! :D
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

AFAIK, the rule is ezakerly what Chaos said - one month replacement by retailer, after that handled by manufacturer/distributer. And from my own experience with Apple I know that they replace anything classed Dead on Arrival (within 28 days of purchase) immediately at store level. And if you have repeated faults (as I had with my first iBook) they replace the whole unit, with the currrent spec equivalent. (upgrade from 933 g4 to a 1.3 g4)
Sounds like another Apple-bash to me. They can fuck off and buy a Zune if they want, and enjoy a worse MP3 player experience... :D
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Pat

Post by Pat »

Who'd bother with either (or at least ipod). iRiver and Rio Karma are soooooooooo much better.
Texas

Post by Texas »

If they are Pat, sorry, you just pimped them so now they officially suck :D
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Pat wrote:Who'd bother with either (or at least ipod). iRiver and Rio Karma are soooooooooo much better.
Yes! You must be my non-sexual soulmate.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

I love my video iPod. Show me a 60/80 gig MP3/video player for the same size or price.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

show me an "ipod killer" that isn't ugly as sin and i'll show you a normal person who cares about supporting ogg
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

:lol:
Texas

Post by Texas »

selfish wrote:show me an "ipod killer" that isn't ugly as sin and i'll show you a normal person who cares about supporting ogg
QFT
Gr8ness

AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

mech wrote:I love my video iPod. Show me a 60/80 gig MP3/video player for the same size or price.
You'll find many that have the size and many will be much cheaper too. Apple is such a rip off. They arent even that profitable for stores to sell anyhow.

Give me a Creative ZEN Vision:M anytime
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

mech wrote:I love my video iPod. Show me a 60/80 gig MP3/video player for the same size or price.
I'm with Mech on this (WTF is the sky falling????) ... I've had a 40gig 4G ipod for a couple of years now and it's been fantastic, I'm about to jump to an 80gig black beastie coz I've filled it.

I think the itunes/ipod integration is fantastic ... it just works, and is simple to use.

Fuck fucking around to get shit working ... that's what I've got a PSP for!!!
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

My iPod broke.

I took it back to where I bought it.

They had a replacement the next day couriered in from Apple (since they didn't have any of my model in stock).

I don't know where the fuck you guys are buying it from to get such shitty service. Apple gives the retailers like 4% breakage anyway on the shipments for stuff like DOAs and the like.
mech

Post by mech »

AgOnNy wrote:
You'll find many that have the size and many will be much cheaper too. Apple is such a rip off. They arent even that profitable for stores to sell anyhow.

Give me a Creative ZEN Vision:M anytime
Vision: M is fatter and more expensive than an iPod, and that's the only example you can give me? So where are the other "many" that have that size and are cheaper?

And what the fuck do I care if the store makes a profit on it or not?!
Texas

Post by Texas »

AgOnNy wrote: They arent even that profitable for stores to sell anyhow.
Um... same for the PS2/Xbox/360/Wii/PS3...
Make money with add-ons. For iPod, it's the cases, etc, where the retailers make their money back
Gr8ness

Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

mech wrote:And what the fuck do I care if the store makes a profit on it or not?!
Clearly if Apple don't take a loss on each unit, you're not getting value for money. ;)