XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Confirmed $120 first party ps3 games.

Post by lestat »

$60US first party, which we all know equates to $120AU.

Oh and lots of launch details including the actual launch titles.

Just like psp first 500k get a bluray movie with it too.

Controllers are $49us too, which will translate to a nice $100AU, no removable battery means you'll need to replace these expensive suckers over time. No component or hdmi cables, and the remote is $25US/$50AU.
Breaking: SCEA Details Launch Window Titles, Online & Peripherals

Sony today has unveiled an official "launch window" line-up for the PS3, pricing for some of the peripherals and some details about the PlayStation network and store. In addition, the first batch of PS3s will come bundled with "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" on Blu-ray. [Updated!]

As part of its Gamer's Day event today Sony Computer Entertainment America has outlined its initial line-up of PlayStation 3 titles, as well as revealed some more details on its PlayStation Network and PS3 peripherals.

Sony currently expects to have over 20 titles available for the next-gen system through the holidays, although only three of those will be first-party games. Most titles are expected to retail for "under $60," which we assume means the standard $59.99 next-gen price point. Although it's not clear how many of these will be available immediately on November 17 when the console launches, here's a rundown of the official "launch window" list:

First-party games

Resistance: Fall of Man

NBA 07

Genji: Days of the Blade

Third-party games

Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII (Ubisoft)

Call of Duty 3 (Activision)

EA Sports Fight Night Round 3 (Electronic Arts)

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks)

F.E.A.R. (Vivendi Games)

Full Auto 2: Battlelines (Sega)

Madden NFL 07 (Electronic Arts)

MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE (Activision)

Mobile Suit Gundam: CROSSFIRE (NAMCO BANDAI Games)

NBA 2K7 (2K Sports)

Need For Speed Carbon (Electronic Arts)

NHL 2K7 (2K Sports)

RIDGE RACER 7 (NAMCO BANDAI Games)

Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (Electronic Arts)

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas (Ubisoft)

Tony Hawk's Project 8 (Activision)

Untold Legends Dark Kingdom (Sony Online Entertainment)

"Our line-up of PS3 games that will be available through the holidays is unprecedented in terms of volume, variety and innovation, surpassing any previous competitive launch catalog and even our own original offerings for other PlayStation platforms," commented Kaz Hirai, SCEA President and CEO. "We are pioneering a new era of true next-generation gaming through such titles as Resistance: Fall of Man, a visually arresting game that takes advantage of the large storage capacity and exceptional visual clarity offered by Blu-ray Disc (BD); and NBA 07, running at full 1080p for the highest resolution image possible, creating hyper-realistic characters and gameplay never seen before."

In addition to revealing its games line-up, Sony also discussed its online plans. The PlayStation Network will offer "basic features" for free from the get go. The online network will also continue Sony's policy of an open platform (as opposed to Microsoft's tightly controlled Xbox Live network), which Sony believes gives developers "more freedom and creativity in the development of their games and online/network services."

Similar to Xbox Live Marketplace, part of Sony's online strategy also includes a PlayStation Store, where users will have access to demos, downloadable content, and casual games. Like Xbox Live Arcade, PS3 owners will be able to purchase simpler, arcade-like titles, including those developed by Sony Computer Entertainment World Wide Studios exclusively for PS3; the first such title has been revealed to be Blast Factor. After setting up a unique PlayStation profile (sort of the equivalent of a gamertag), PS3 users can communicate with other gamers and use an electronic wallet to purchase content. Sony said that downloadable first party games will cost less than $15 at launch and that "more content will be added on a regular basis."

SCEA also confirmed that its XMB (Xross Media Bar), similar to what you see on the PSP, will be used to navigate through the PS3's options. PS3 owners will use this XMB to go online with the PlayStation Network, to select a game or movie to play, to playback music, view photos, download content, browse the web, chat with other players and more.

Finally, Sony detailed some of its peripheral pricing and announced that the first 500,000 PS3 units shipped will be bundled with Sony Pictures Entertainment's Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby on Blu-ray Disc to highlight the PS3's hi-def movie playing capability. This is similar to the company's initial PSP promotion. If you recall, the first batch of PSPs came packed with a UMD copy of Spider-Man 2.

Gamers will undoubtedly want to purchase a second controller for the PS3 when they get the system. SCEA is making the Wireless Controller (SIXAXIS) available for $49.99. Additionally, those interested in the next-gen console's backward compatibility feature will likely want a Memory Card Adaptor for transferring game save information from both their PS1 and PS2 memory cards onto the PS3 HDD; the adaptor will cost $14.99. A BD Remote Control is also "coming soon" for $24.99.

Sony noted that "video output in HD requires cables and an HD-compatible display, both sold separately," so it appears that neither component cables nor an HDMI cable will be included.

GameDaily BIZ will be speaking with Sony live from the event today. We'll be updating with more detail/comments, so stay tuned.

[UPDATE] Sony has confirmed that the PS3 in North America will come with a multi-AV cable with composite just as it does in Japan. Unlike the Xbox 360 (which was ridiculed by some for its insanely large power brick), Sony mentioned that the PS3 will come with a simple AC cord, meaning that the console's power supply is internal. The system will also come with a USB mini cable and an Ethernet cable.

In addition, unlike much of Microsoft's first-party software on the Xbox 360 (which typically retail for $49.99), Sony's first-party titles have been confirmed to have a $59.99 price point.

[UPDATE 2] Sony has confirmed that the PS3 (like the 360) can be turned on with the controller. In demonstrating the network functionality, Sony showed off the friends list feature which can be used free of charge, and the web browser will be free out of the box as well. Microsoft, to date, has not announced plans for a web browser on the 360. Nintendo, however, is offering an Opera web browser for free download on the Wii initially.

Sony also demonstrated some connectivity between the PS3 and PSP. The PS3's XMB can apparently be run on the PSP and media on the PS3 can be streamed to the PSP.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Re: Confirmed $120 first party ps3 games.

Post by Talez »

lestat wrote:$60US first party, which we all know equates to $120AU.
I call bullshit. Splinter Cell is $59.99 US/$109.95 AU for instance.
lestat wrote:Controllers are $49us too, which will translate to a nice $100AU
Again calling bullshit. Wireless Xbox 360 controllers are US$49.95 RRP and aren't $100AU.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Ignoring lestat-spin, it's a pretty good launch, even better if you don't have a 360/awesome PC. I've chosen about 5 games I'd like, for the 360's Australian launch I wanted 3. At the Australian PS3 launch I'd probably want MORE!

Resistance
Call of Duty 3
Oblivion
F.E.A.R
Rainbow Six

4/5 are FPS :D

But I won't be getting one for a while ;)
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Talez wrote:
I call reality, Splinter Cell:DA has a RRP of $119.95. General rule for games locally here is just double the us price. I'm scared to see what 3rd parties will be charging.
Talez wrote:
lestat wrote:Controllers are $49us too, which will translate to a nice $100AU
Again calling bullshit. Wireless Xbox 360 controllers are US$49.95 RRP and aren't $100AU.
True, we'll see what the controllers get priced. I don't like the fact the controller is like an ipod where the battery can't be replaced without servicing the unit.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Ignoring lestat-spin, it's a pretty good launch, even better if you don't have a 360/awesome PC. I've chosen about 5 games I'd like, for the 360's Australian launch I wanted 3. At the Australian PS3 launch I'd probably want MORE!
It's a terrible launch if you have a 360, quite a few of the games on your list ambrose are confirmed to look better on 360 and run at double the framerate in a lot of instances, then you have 9 month old ports from 360 in there. And the first party stuff looks pretty ordinary. For the money ps3 is a total rip.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

lestat wrote:
Talez wrote:
I call reality, Splinter Cell:DA has a RRP of $119.95. General rule for games locally here is just double the us price. I'm scared to see what 3rd parties will be charging.
COD3 then. Isn't that supposed to have an RRP of US$59.95/AU$109.95.
Ambrose Burnside

lestat wrote:
It's a terrible launch if you have a 360, quite a few of the games on your list ambrose are confirmed to look better on 360 and run at double the framerate in a lot of instances, then you have 9 month old ports from 360 in there. And the first party stuff looks pretty ordinary. For the money ps3 is a total rip.
The 360 had a craptacular US launch as well if I recall correctly. My memory is a bit hazy but I believe that 2/3 of the games I wanted at the Australian launch weren't available at the US launch. If the same is true for the Australian PS3 launch, then: :up:

But, like I said, I won't be getting one (if at all I probably should add) for a while :wink:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Capcom/Konami/EA/Sega/Ubisoft/THQ all price their $59US at a RRP of $119.95 here. Activision and atari are the exception. I know with atari for instance TDU was priced at $39.95 but was sold for $109 here, so they were charging more than double.

Yes it did have a craptacular launch, but M$ were first out of the gate. Sony has had a full extra year of devs working on titles and what we have on show is 9month old 360 ports, multiplatform titles that look and run worse. All at $100-200 us more and god knows what 3rd party titles are gonna be priced at now first party is confirmed $60us.

Sony can get fucked with their overpriced under performing system.
Last edited by lestat on 20 Oct 2006 09:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Wow, that launch line-up's so good, I think I'll buy two PS3s. :rolleyes: What a warm turd in a sock. A terrible launch if you have a 360? Probably. It looks even worse when you don't have a 360 because you're not interested in what's on offer. Now that the top of the Playstation's all curvy we probably won't be able to use them as DC stands either. :down:
Ambrose Burnside

Don't forget that competition = lower prices. MS have none at the moment, by March next year they'll have 1.5 new consoles to compete against :up:
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

That's a pretty appalling launch list. So glad we're getting the thing in March. RR7 is the only game to stir traditional launch pangs for me. Of the others Resistance, COD3 and FEAR have my interest. The rest - :yawn:
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

I want a Ridge Racer. 7 looks fucking awesome. 6 is cheap and I could buy it today with a 360.

Decisions, decisions.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

US$50 for the controller's pretty good given that's the same price as the 360 controller and no need to buy any batteries.

re: replacing the battery, as if there won't be a way for people to replace it, like the iPod...
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Mech Apple charge $65US to replace the battery. I'd love to see what sony charge. :)
mech

Post by mech »

That's what apple charges, however I can change the apple battery myself for $20.

Obviously Sony can't charge more than US$50.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:Ignoring lestat-spin, it's a pretty good launch, even better if you don't have a 360/awesome PC. I've chosen about 5 games I'd like, for the 360's Australian launch I wanted 3. At the Australian PS3 launch I'd probably want MORE!

Resistance
Call of Duty 3
Oblivion
F.E.A.R
Rainbow Six

4/5 are FPS :D

But I won't be getting one for a while ;)
All* are available on 360. 360 is cheaper... and COD3 is better on 360. This christmas you can pick up an Xbox 360 with a game for $600AUS.

*The good games.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

mech wrote:That's what apple charges, however I can change the apple battery myself for $20.

Obviously Sony can't charge more than US$50.
Precisely my point, a battery alone costs around $20, to have to send it away and pay for someones labour, the cost of it would be high, plus it's just inconvenient. Not everyone is competent enough to pull apart electronics and do it themselves. I don't see why a easy removable battery wasn't designed into the controller. The 360/wii have em. Just looks like a poor attempt from sony to charge users more money, considering they're loosing around 300-400us per system sold and projected to loose 2billion in the next 6months because of the launch. I guess you can't blame em.