t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: Mad Max

Post by t0mby »

Reviews are out!

selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Rockstar will parody the whole movie better in a small section of their next map.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

batman/ubisoft fatigue is real. :shock:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

i5, 970, 16GB, SSD

Runs at a locked 60 @ 1080p for me with everything on Max.
Runs like a dream at 1440p on a 970 / i5 3570k. Cranked to max, pretty much in the 80ish FPS range. And that's with no CPU or GPU overclock, I'd been troubleshooting some issues and just reset them both to stock.
Very encouraging, look forward to playing it at Max settings. :D
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

IGN - 8.4

GameSpot - 6

Game Informer - 7.5

GamesRadar - 8

Polygon - 5

God is a Geek - 7.5

Hobby Consolas - 9

Gamer.no - 9

Mixed review scores, i think the familiar/recycled gameplay elements that derive from batman/assassins creed games drags it down due to fatigue. It's very much like shadow of mordor which had the twist of the nemesis system instead here we have vehicle combat.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Most sites are bought off though.

The reviewers who review games at the websites could have all had a secret meeting at the reviewers guild, and decided to give it average scores because they didn't receive quality treatment and gifts.

So glad there is a Post Apoc game where I can fucking use the car instead of walk around on foot all the time. (looking at you fallout. Even terminator Future shock had the jeep with turret and elder scrolls had the horsey.)

Does anyone remember the section in final fantasy 7 where you could ride a bike?

That's what people really want in post apoc games. You find the scraps of junk to craft the best machine. Use that machine to kill things. And also to explore and transport suppplies from one place to another without being killed. GTA isn't the same thing since you can jack any car you see. In survival game you have to kill other people trying to steal your stuff, in order to get the vehicle or the parts. If they have better stuff you will probably die just jacking the vehicle. But if you survive you get their weapons so the riskier the mission the better the reward. (if you are skilled you can make the game feel like a fast paced action game, or go it slow and make it more sim like where you only take risks you can afford.

If GTA was set in space where you play a smuggler trying to outrun the cops and fight other alien races trying to steal your valuables it would be interesting. It needs to be set in a place other than modern times and american city. Make a star wars style universe where you are a space rogue trying to earn the right to drive the best machines which helps you outrun faster cops from more rich nations. Then have animal crossing style trading system so you can upgrade the house and town or buy private army to fight aliens and enslave them to work in mines and make you rich and research better technology with the money to control everyone. This is where cloud thing should be used. Put in thousands of organisations that compete with each other and decide the value of certain goods based on what goes on and you steal the cargo of the ones that are valuable (like the globalists are doing in the middle east) or research ways to synthesise it and undercut the competition. Unlike normal GTA games the races are 3 dimensional space. You can loop go above people, go underneath things, hide in asteroids, use stealth shield to cover yourself like hiding in the bushes in far cry. So the combat would be better than any gta game. You board a ship and on foot you kill the crew.
Missions are generated on the fly based on events in the world. Other players avatars are copied by the server and become npcs that offer you work. Then the results of whether you failed your mission or succeeded are logged onto the server and the effect then takes place on the world. Eg you fail to rob someone, then that company becomes more powerful later on and their presence grows. (as well as how tough their guys are)
If you can't prevent others from growing in power perhaps you accept missions that benefit you only. So those effects are logged down and the aliens start targetting you more agressively because you are a threat and not other npcs. (ie your wanted level grows amongst the groups you are competing with)

The more groups that hate you the more enemies to fight and loot. (but it's a more risky and interesting game) The more groups that like you, the more productive you can be and faster you can build. If you want to go solo then you get all the power, and rewards are better but you won't get as much work since nobody trusts a lone wolf compared to a loyal worker/partner that chooese a side. (but you can piss off anyone you want without consequences) As long as you got a faster ship, you can outrun things so the goal is to do things faster than others. If you kill the competition by focusing on guns you have less people to compete with so the choice is yours just like in an elder scrolls game. (go psycho and kill everyone in town for fun, but then you have less quest-givers and missions to find secret stuff only the quest givers know about)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

It actually looked not too bad..

BUT - What of the accents? Is it Australian?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Max is voiced by Bren Foster, he is an Aussie.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Purchase confirmed then.. though I'll wait a bit for it to cheapen up
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Its $69 at target for either xbone or ps4.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Played it for a bit last night, graphics look good, I have everything maxed out and it runs rock solid 60fps, It literally hasn't dropped a single frame so far with lots of explosions and action going on. Pretty impressive engine, the LOD on PC is excellent, I've seen the console footage and popin is quite noticeable, a problem that doesn't exist on PC. Just cause 3 is going to run and looks so good on PC, same engine I believe.

Gameplay is a little different than I expected, the combat is weightier than batman and feels slower, enemies do a lot of damage but you have a huge counter window. The driving combat is fun and it really captures that mad max feel, for fans of the movies this is what we wanted. From the little I've played this feels like a 8-9 game, really polished but I can see how it can be a bit repetitive and lack variety over time.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I'm buying even if it were a seven. We need more open world post apoc games.

Too bad mel gibson isn't voicing the guy. Might rewatch mad max 1 and 2 again to get into the universe.

These guys should work on a open world lethal weapon game next. Just change the environment so you play a crazy cop. You use martial arts to bash up bad guys. Lego city for older people. Put in lots of jokes and three stooges references when fighting. Modernise the world so its more up to date to today's world.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Bought it for PC (physical) and still have to download 16 gig's worth of data after installing 4 dvd's......
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Green Man had it for $36 for the digital download yesterday, jumped in. Still downloading on regional ADSL but a good price I thought.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?

Post by cloud »

Well that was the plan until the guy at EB told me that the Fury Road Bluray comes with it which it didn't...
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I try to avoid EB at all costs, tend to be disappointed by their prices and service.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Yeah I feel the same. EB plebs trying to be helpful and act like they know more than you.. No thanks. I tend to infer that I've been buying and playing games for a while (no I don't need your cd game insurance protection bullshit) so that they might take hint and dial it back a notch. Sometimes an obscure but knowledgeable reference to game stuff does work and you can see their attitude change... Usually not...

Prices for new games are shit... But scoring cheap second hand and clearance games isn't too bad.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?

Post by cloud »

Game is fucken tits! GOTY contender right here people.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:Yeah I feel the same. EB plebs trying to be helpful and act like they know more than you.. No thanks. I tend to infer that I've been buying and playing games for a while (no I don't need your cd game insurance protection bullshit) so that they might take hint and dial it back a notch. Sometimes an obscure but knowledgeable reference to game stuff does work and you can see their attitude change... Usually not...

Prices for new games are shit... But scoring cheap second hand and clearance games isn't too bad.
Every time they ask if I want scratch insurance on a Playstation game I tell them Blu Rays already have scratch protection built in. They look dumbfounded after that.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?

Post by cloud »

So good.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

You mean unreal...
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:Yeah I feel the same. EB plebs trying to be helpful and act like they know more than you.. No thanks. I tend to infer that I've been buying and playing games for a while (no I don't need your cd game insurance protection bullshit) so that they might take hint and dial it back a notch. Sometimes an obscure but knowledgeable reference to game stuff does work and you can see their attitude change... Usually not...

Don't forget those guidebooks. When fallout comes out you're going to want that extra shit.

Love them for the big open world rpg games. :up: Whenever there is a bug in the game. I will know its a bug because the guidebook will tell you what's supposed to happen in a quest. The you can know why the game won't let you finish it. You fucked up a quest by doing something in a funny order or the coder was on drugs for that part of the game.
The problem is people forget to price match. Most videogame stores will honor the cheapest you can find it. Buying an opened case where the manufacturer's seal has been removed is part of the service. They had to check the game was actually inside the case, lend out your game to another guy who will then return the game within 7 days of rental to check that it's not crap, and then finally sell it to you. All that costs money. What if for instance there was a bad batch of DVD/bluray discs? They would know before it ever got into your hands. You guys always look at the glass as half empty.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Going to install this right now. Going to rush through this oe as fast as possible so I have time for Xenoblade and Fallout. Fuck there is too many games to play. Mario maker is coming out. then there is all the other stuff:

Witcher
Mad Max
Batman
MGS5
Xenoblade

I kind of get why some critics think this game has too much to do. (complaining about a game with too much to do is a sign that gamers are getting softcore and have busy lives and can't afford to enjoy games anymore due to being too jaded)

totalbiscuit made a video explaining the differences between what customers/fans think of tired formulas vs what professional critics think:
the main difference is the fan might be less exposed to a tired system that is used in many other games so they are approaching the game as fresh. Then give a game a higher score than really needed. (it's about the emotions and feelings not the rational stuff like whether it's hard to accomplish doing the same thing that's been done before) While critics will think it's just more of the same and want to move on. I get it. But this is a industry now! You bought it, that means you wanted more of it. That's why we have dozens of COD games and don't get things like sequels to bayonetta. (no.2 only came out because nintendo rescued it from cancellation) Too many softcore gamers outbreeding the hardcore ones. And their balls have shrunk. "wah I can't finish the game because it's too long and I have to sleep" Back in the 16 bit days when cartridges were tiny, people hated how short games were. Now the critics can't stand value. Make up your mind.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

GameHED wrote:

Don't forget those guidebooks. When fallout comes out you're going to want that extra shit.

Love them for the big open world rpg games. :up: Whenever there is a bug in the game. I will know its a bug because the guidebook will tell you what's supposed to happen in a quest. The you can know why the game won't let you finish it. You fucked up a quest by doing something in a funny order or the coder was on drugs for that part of the game.
The problem is people forget to price match. Most videogame stores will honor the cheapest you can find it. Buying an opened case where the manufacturer's seal has been removed is part of the service. They had to check the game was actually inside the case, lend out your game to another guy who will then return the game within 7 days of rental to check that it's not crap, and then finally sell it to you. All that costs money. What if for instance there was a bad batch of DVD/bluray discs? They would know before it ever got into your hands. You guys always look at the glass as half empty.
"The coder was on drugs" :lol: Heard it all now.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Booted it up last night. The graphics are fine on ps4. The physics feel just right (not too simmy but not too arcadey) and the sounds of the engine are really great. Like you are controlling a powerful machine not just a starter machine in gran turismo which your grandad gave to you on your 16th birthday to drive him to the shops because he cqn no longer see and almost killed himself in because the car was never serviced for decades.

I wish there was more overall desert wildlife though. They could play around with the idea of mutated beasts of burden in the wasteland that managed to burrow into the sand and live in the inhospitable environment. ie snakes, lizards, mutant tusken raiders from the star wars universe that eat corpses of human flesh to live and snipe at you from range then burrow into the sand to hide. There were two instances of this in mad max movies: one where Feral kid has a ratline after killing Humongous partner with the boomerang, and early on in mad max 2 when the gyrocopter pilot ambushes max after he steals the snake. (the guy literally emerges from the sand from a hole - how he can see I have no fucking clue but it happened)

Map is pretty huge. Funny how there is no gyrocopter so far that I have seen. Couldn't they have stolen the art assets from Far Cry 4 so you can scout an area risk free to get an idea of where things are? So far no bugs. Except this part in the bios where the picture of the bio goes black and white for no reason at random times. The voice actor doesn't sound gruff enough in this imo. He should be trying to match Max in the movie. So far I haven't seen any female warrior women trying to chop my balls off, so that explains the low scores from mainstream gaming review sites. (the "Bayonetta 2 effect" after polygon gave bayonetta 2 a 7 in its review despite it being the best game in its class)
I wonder if I can equip a wristmounted crossbow weapon onto my arm for stealth kill? Doesn't seem like it as the shotgun is the main ranged weapon.

So far it feels like GTA without radiostations. I think they could probably mod this game and make a good terminator game set in the future of the first original movie. Replace the post apoc cars in this with jeep with turret on the back (similar to halo but it's true open world game) and add futuristic weapons. You would take down one termination camp after another and gather up robot scrap parts to build old robots and cyborg that are reprogrammed to work under you. (steal all the ideas from metal gear 5 and peacewalker hehe. Instead of Metal Gear, just put in Hunter Killers etc)