Assault Android Cactus Steam Early Access & Demo released!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ben
Southpoor

Re: Assault Android Cactus Steam Early Access & Demo release

Post by Ben »

Kangawallaby wrote:Those of you having issues with your Xbone controllers it's a Windows update that broke it.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1195675" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Uninstalling the updates mentioned in that thread has fixed it for me.
Most awesome, thank you I'll try and find it :)

To be fair I only ever bought my control for PC, I probs need to take it to an Xbone to update it.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

I think the latest Xbox accessories app lets you update your controllers on your PC.
2nd place is the first loser....

Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Kangawallaby wrote:I think the latest Xbox accessories app lets you update your controllers on your PC.
Awse, thanks again. Grabbed the app and updated the controller, pity you can't do remap and stuff on just the bog standard pad.

1 level to go got all S+ now, just beat Liquorice. Attempted Convection (rhe level I'm stuck on) and managed to get a full chain except for the last enemy so it's just a matter of time now...

Fucking love this game, can't wait to do it all over again when I download the PS4 and subsequent Vita versions :D
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Oh fack yeah! Just got all S+ :D
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Nice work!
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I don't know if I ever said this in this thread but your game has an art style that reminds me of dreamcast era sega games like crazy taxi, space channel, bass fishing, pen pen tricelon etc.
its not that there are huge similarities in the conent just the colours and shapes carry a similar boldness.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Will be getting this on ps4 soon.

Congrats on is success.

Don't forget to release a dreamcast version.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Good article. Sad to hear it hasn't done as well as it should've. I bet if they dropped the price during a Steam sale it'd do really well.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The trick is to copy what those guys who made Dragon's Crown did and have big titted women in the game.

Once that got the SJW at polygon so angry, it caused a lot of people to want to check it out to see what the fuss was about and helped create publicity for the game ad made people take notice of the guys who made it.

But nooooo he took greywizard's advice and tried to make a game that didn't offend people. Bad choice imo.

What do you think caused people to like games like Mortal Kombat, Metal Gear Solid, GTA etc ?
It did stuff that got attention and shocked your mum or was controversial. That's how you get those boring game mags to talk about you. It happened with Dragon's Crown and it should have happened with AAC.

Remember when Bulma flashed her vag to Master Roshi in exchange for getting a dragon ball? That's the game industry in a nutshell.
Basically your game needs to be Donald Trump. Offend the establishment and don't worry so much about ads or paid shills to help you sell it, as long as you make them look at you for whatever reason and cause people to react.
Works with Candy all the time when you talk shit about PC dying off as more franchises migrate to console platforms which gets him angry enough to have to follow and stalk you. Everytime I mention how tiny the PC section is compared to consoles at EB games he goes insane and has to attack all the other platforms which highlights the insecurity of the average pc gamer worried that triple A games like Blood borne will never get ported, but meanwhile we get Witcher and other pc rpg titles to the lowly console peasant platform. He becomes an ad for console platforms without even realising this. Can't wait for Elite to come to the consoles. Thank cletus for telling me about this game a lot.
Last edited by GameHED on 09 Apr 2016 07:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

The game was solid... I still haven't finished it... Mainly due to time but also due to it being kinda hard.. which I LOVE.

Seriously.. whatever you do next.. I'd love to help with it somehow.. playtester.. development.. I'd be happy to look at helping financially too :)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Yeah, I plan to double dip with the WiiU version, and if a 'bone version ever happens, then I'll triple dip with that too. Hell, if I had a PS4 or Vita, I'd get it on that, too. The game is great. I don't care if I'm rubbish at twin stick shooters, it's just fun!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

What about the mobile version if nintendo quits consoles and goes software only?

Galak-Z is coming to mobile.

Because of the name Android in the title people are still waiting for it to come to android phones.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

GameHED, it's time for you to make a Prime Ministerial move and get in the sea.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

I finally got around to downloading and playing this game getting some press being on the PSN vote would have helped put it in front of a lot of people. After meeting SJ and playing a demo of it at PAX the year before last.

I must say what a wonderfully fun and polished game you've put out mate. My Mrs and I are having a blast playing through co-op.
It's awesome to see it being successful and all the teams hard work pay off.

Can't wait to see what's next.
2nd place is the first loser....

GameHED

Post by GameHED »

An animated movie.

The next step is cartoons, cereals, toys, t-shirts and Todd mcFarlane comic book.

Did you know they now have a monster hunter cartoon on the nintendo anime channel? Watched a few eps this morning through the 3DS. That's they thing he should be doing being an animator and all.. get this game known to everyone.

Have general Cyberfunk dress up as the characters at comic conventions and stuff. (he wants male neckbeards to feel him up by the sounds of it as a way to boost the awareness of the game)

There are so many indie games out there competing you got to go to extremes to be heard. Pay some kids to graffiti Assault Android Cactus in their local playgrounds and write essays on it for their school assignments so they know its cooler than Tamagotchi. And hopefully the papers will cover it and try to ban it which will only increase the desire for people to want to play it themselves. (unless you go with the big tittied chic idea of Dragon's Crown that's your only other option)
When the Wii U version comes out it's going to need all the help it can get. lol
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Giving this a proper crack right now. Was cruising until Vespula. After numerous attempts, a bunch of close finishes and tough battery drops I finally got her down last night using Starch. Obtained a C rating. I flipped Vespula the bird and vowed never to return but today I'm already plotting a higher score.

Yeah definitely a hard boss and it was frustrating but my failures were my own. I would’ve got her down earlier if I hadn’t occasionally fudged my secondary fire or impatiently rushed toward a power up. I eventually found an efficient technique to quickly spam the right trigger to get Starch up after knock-downs (using a 360 pad). Have just read here you can spam any button to get fallen characters back up. That’ll help.

I'm seeing why this game is so loved.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I saw this thread and went on steam to purchase it, it was on sale. I will shamefully admit I purchased it on sale, so I guess I owe you a beer or a fiver because as pep just said I can see why this game is so loved. I honestly thought i'd just be playing it to give my support but no joke once you really play it, one can see it is more than just a twin stick shooter with some shit to blast. The design, in regards to its pacing, difficulty, controls is where it sets itself apart. The players urgency to not die and urgency to improve on the next try is present. I am having trouble getting to guts of what I'm trying to say here in a clear way. Your team has a good sense of what truly makes a game a game and not just some graphics you control. Pacing, challenge, clear set of rules, control, urgency... you got these things right. My only criticism hardly applies as I can solve it myself by remapping buttons but I am using an xbox 360 controller so when I have to spam shoot to revive, it feels all mushy and doesn't have the urgency I want it to as it is the trigger not a digital button. Overall, It is more than just a serviceable game. You did more than say "we can make games", you said "we can make GOOD games". I will admit, I probably wasn't going to give this the interest I have but the reviews were so exceedingly positive, I can see now they are legit. Well done.
I'm curious how it will go in some coop play sometime in the coming weeks.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

you can mash the RB button instead of the trigger, if it helps.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

As I learned after whinging to SJ about the triggers/bumpers being hard to do after a while, that you can mash dammed near any button to revive quicker. :) I use the face buttons these days.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Yep, use the face buttons to revive.
It really is a great package. I've even played through with all the characters just to see all the different boss interactions. Read all the codex, pretty interesting universe (the mystery of the what humanity did to make the first core is cool). So many great little details each character has.
Playing through now to regain S+ on all stages. Just got the last stage and the boss to go.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

S+ is a rush, I goofed so many times in the geometry wars homage section right at the end, frustratingly dropped my chain on the last enemy a few times too. Elation when I nailed it.

Never quite got to finishing S+ on everything on the PS4 edition, but I'm pretty close from memory. I think I started from the end and worked backwards so my muscle memory and skills would still be fresh from when I did it on steam.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Trying to get S+ on Medulla. After about 100 tries with Starch (and abit of Peanut) I switched to Cactus and got it on the 4th try :Q
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I can't believe this has been out officially for a year now.
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

Hey ya'll,

So I wanted to say a few things, first I'm sorry for abandoning this thread after we hit PS4 but I was on some major burnout, I still came and read the forums from time to time but it has taken me a while to be comfortable doing more than 'marketing speak' in my responses (And since I've known everyone here for so long I felt like that was pointless). So now I'll respond to all the lovely comments and answer any old questions still hanging about.
Ben wrote:Oh fack yeah! Just got all S+ :D
Woot! That's no small feat, and even though I set the challenge I still feel immense pride whenever I achieve it myself in testing :)
Peppermint Lounge wrote:Giving this a proper crack right now. Was cruising until Vespula. After numerous attempts, a bunch of close finishes and tough battery drops I finally got her down last night using Starch. Obtained a C rating. I flipped Vespula the bird and vowed never to return but today I'm already plotting a higher score.

Yeah definitely a hard boss and it was frustrating but my failures were my own. I would’ve got her down earlier if I hadn’t occasionally fudged my secondary fire or impatiently rushed toward a power up. I eventually found an efficient technique to quickly spam the right trigger to get Starch up after knock-downs (using a 360 pad). Have just read here you can spam any button to get fallen characters back up. That’ll help.

I'm seeing why this game is so loved.
I'm glad you managed to make it through that far, hopefully you found a path through the rest too! The challenge is ever escalating but I tried really hard to push you to better your play in every level, and teach you new tricks with every challenge. Thanks for the kind words.
BOOMY wrote:I saw this thread and went on steam to purchase it, it was on sale. I will shamefully admit I purchased it on sale, so I guess I owe you a beer or a fiver because as pep just said I can see why this game is so loved. I honestly thought i'd just be playing it to give my support but no joke once you really play it, one can see it is more than just a twin stick shooter with some shit to blast. The design, in regards to its pacing, difficulty, controls is where it sets itself apart. The players urgency to not die and urgency to improve on the next try is present. I am having trouble getting to guts of what I'm trying to say here in a clear way. Your team has a good sense of what truly makes a game a game and not just some graphics you control. Pacing, challenge, clear set of rules, control, urgency... you got these things right. My only criticism hardly applies as I can solve it myself by remapping buttons but I am using an xbox 360 controller so when I have to spam shoot to revive, it feels all mushy and doesn't have the urgency I want it to as it is the trigger not a digital button. Overall, It is more than just a serviceable game. You did more than say "we can make games", you said "we can make GOOD games". I will admit, I probably wasn't going to give this the interest I have but the reviews were so exceedingly positive, I can see now they are legit. Well done.
I'm curious how it will go in some coop play sometime in the coming weeks.
You don't owe me anything mate, my brother still wears the awesome Sonic Team pendant you made me and I gave him for his birthday :) I'm happy to return the favor by creating something you can enjoy.
Kangawallaby wrote:I finally got around to downloading and playing this game getting some press being on the PSN vote would have helped put it in front of a lot of people. After meeting SJ and playing a demo of it at PAX the year before last.

I must say what a wonderfully fun and polished game you've put out mate. My Mrs and I are having a blast playing through co-op.
It's awesome to see it being successful and all the teams hard work pay off.

Can't wait to see what's next.
I'm so happy it lived up to the expectations that mega early demo set up haha! Meeting you was rad, I'm also keen to see what's next :P
GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:The game was solid... I still haven't finished it... Mainly due to time but also due to it being kinda hard.. which I LOVE.

Seriously.. whatever you do next.. I'd love to help with it somehow.. playtester.. development.. I'd be happy to look at helping financially too :)
That's an extremely generous offer and one I'll keep in mind for sure, we risked everything on this project and it's lovely to know that people out there have our backs now.
unfnknblvbl wrote:I can't believe this has been out officially for a year now.
I know mate, it boggles my mind too, mostly because I'm not sure what I did with that year! So much work left to do with new versions, some updates, and new projects. Life never stops.