Hey 50MB limit, go fuck yourself (Worms XBLA related)

Organise online games for XBL / PSN / PC / Switch

Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Hey 50MB limit, go fuck yourself (Worms XBLA related)

Post by Sonic Jam »

Saw this posted on GAF:
A few things here:

Firstly, XBLA titles are currently capped at 50mb. I think the content on the PSP version (low definition) was something like 700mb (all audio, voices and levels). All the art in the XBLA version is high definition for a start (the images are huge) and 4X the size of anything else - if you see the swollen size of things like Defender (a 16k arcade game was 30mb on XBLA!) then you must understand that it's pretty impossible for us to pack everything into 50mb as we have to provide the base game and cater for 5-6 languages. That said, we will release a good mix of content later on, some will be free and some will be chargeable - but you won't need it to continue playing the game. Note: On PS3, our Lemmings title is about 300-400mb (I can't recall the exact figure) in size, since there is no cap on the download size - such is the size of the high-def artwork (even after compression).

Secondly, the price of the game. As you'll find out when it's launched, it'll provide stunning value for money - particularly compared to some other offerings on Live Arcade. At least you'll have the choice if you want anything or not and charged offerings will be good value given the price people charge for phone Ringtones! As for "everything should be free" then I suggest you go to the trouble of developing video games on a professional level with 70+ staff and see how long you can survive as a business with those tactics.

Thirdly "what version of Worms is this and what weapons will it have?" - we're going to be a little coy on feature set until nearer the time. It's safe to assume though that we've got a version that's hopefully casual friendly as it is hardcore-player friendly, so it's positioned as such given XBLA is a pretty casual game-space. It's a pretty pure, more strategic version (rather than crazy, kitchen-sink insanity) and we hope the lure of -secure- weekly, monthly and all-time leaderboards will prove fairly exciting for all.
If true: Sigh.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

No sigh, that's just plain old shit. Imagine how good it would've been to get all of Lumines at once?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I think ms has to let this stupid 50mb limit go. They are already releasing arcade game compilations on disc media, why hold things back because of core users who are mostly likely not even downloading/using live in the first place. It's quite common knowledge if you want to get the best out of online you need the hdd.

So for core users, arcade games should be release as compilations like they've done and that would be the best option. honestly why would a core user use up all their memory card space to store 1 live arcade game? Makes no fucking sense, the memory card will be used for patches/saves only. No one in their right mind will seriously be using it store actual games on it.
Last edited by lestat on 30 Nov 2006 03:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

I estimate it will cost one hundred billion dollars to get ALL the lumines features at the current rate I'm paying per megabyte of content.
Pat

Post by Pat »

At least there's a hope, however small, that the extra packs might be free.

There should be a scheme where it detects if you have a HDD and if so, you can download the full game without the extra pack rapeage.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

On another note though: I'm not actualy that pissed that they will be raping my wallet over and over for small ammounts of content with Worms XBLA, I'm pissed because this is basically an announcement that the community is gonna be split into 100000 different haves, and have nots, of every little fucking bit of extra content.

THAT is why I hate the 50MB limit, SELL WHOLE FUCKING GAMES YOU BASTARDS.. Splitting the userbase into "Oh I have worms + z pack, but you have worms + x pack, and my other friend only has y pack, guess we'll have to use the shitty single map in the base pack to play together" - This shit is what I'm worried about.

50MB MUST GO.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Pat wrote:At least there's a hope, however small, that the extra packs might be free.

There should be a scheme where it detects if you have a HDD and if so, you can download the full game without the extra pack rapeage.
Did you read what I posted or what? He covered free stuff as being a small part of the content, and said that if you want stuff to be free go make your own dev house with 70+ people and see how it works out making free content.

I don't want free content, I just want EVERYONE to have the same fucking content (IE full game). But this is impossible with a 50MB limit.
Pat

Post by Pat »

There's no excuse for extra maps in Worms anyway. I thought they could just randomly generate them?
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

There's more than just map designs though, there's tilesets for variety and probably most of the weapons will be part of addon packs.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I predict 1200 point base pack and 600 points for upgraded weapons (banana bombs, ming vases, donkeys etc).
Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

I reckon Pat's right on the money there.....
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Holy Hand Grenade!

Hallelujah!