Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Jetpac Refuelled

Post by Twit »

Jetpac Refuelled is this Wednesday's XBLA release, assuming MS don't just forget about it in Australia or something. I'm looking forward to this one. It shows what should be happening with these retro games - include the original plus a new version that's been beefed up. Shiny new graphics and weapons, 128 new levels, multiplayer over Live, all for 400 points. Onya Rare. The only bad thing is that the multiplayer is vs only I think (someone correct me).

Check out the video on GameTrailers, or wherever you normally go for such things. Hope it turns out good...
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Fucking awesome... I reckon I might get that. Never played the original.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yeah same...looks quite pretty.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

How much fun is this shit? Best looking XBLA game by far (if only for the neat effects like rocket smoke and the EMP) but wellll worth the 400 points. Includes heaps of shit, too... like the original (rather than just charging 400pts for it on its own) and a history of Ultimate (before they became Rare or something).

Top shit.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Yep - I'm usually either bored within 2 minutes or sold, and I bought this one after one demo game. Good value for 400 points I reckon.

Edit - the only thing annoying me so far is the placement of the EMP, but apart from that it's excellent fun hooning around with a jetpack.
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

Shoulda made this thread in the general forum I only check in here when I'm looking for a game of somethin :P

Looks cool I'll probably pick it up, I love how RARE understand value and pricing shit at 400pts, that's such an easy ammount of money to part with for a whole game it's almost impossible to have buyers remorse even if u hate it after a week :)
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Exactly... I would've gladly paid 400 for Galaga or Dig Dug if they'd given it the same "Rebuild the original from scratch, include original arcade as well" treatment.

Big ups to Rare for this one.
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

I was going to buy this and then I played the demo.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

The system works.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I'm now a bit annoyed at this game. The difficulty level seems to ramp up at about level 17, and my uselessness is starting to show.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Atleast you can make it to level 17. I havent made it to level 10 yet. Given, Jiz's comments about me being crap at Geo Wars have given me an incentive to put him in his place so my times been spent on that when Im not kicking arse in Lost Planet.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

You're not wrong, and there's 128 levels! What. The. Fuck.

Problems with this game:
- it gives you roughly half a second's notice for empty, safe space to turn into a spawning enemy that kills you.
- levels are impossible to pass without at least one weapons upgrade because otherwise it's impossible to gain height. Weapons are spawned randomly and sometimes you pick up 5 gold statues before a weapon can appear.

Shit. Shit. Shit game. Anyone for multiplayer?
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

You’re right about the weapons upgrade, and it’s made worse by the way it cycles between weapon types so if you upgrade the one that shoots 3 diagonal shots then you go back to a single beam. It might be more powerful or whatever but when you have tweventy million enemies swarming just above your head it’s a bit useless.

And how do you even upgrade to the maximum level? Last time I played I tried experimenting on level 1 with just trying to upgrade my laser before the time ran out. I’d always get close but never manage it because not enough laser upgrades would drop before the time ran out...too many fucking gold idol things.

Frustrating piece of shit. I’d be up for a little multiplayer bash if I see you on there.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

So Twit & I had a bash at multiplayer this arvo. Seems that the developers didn't really bother to try to make an interesting game mode here. In the 20 minutes we played we thought of a hundred things that would have made it better. As it stands, you have a spaceship each which you need to launch and whoever has the most points at the end of the pre-determined time limit wins. The levels didn't seem to step up in difficulty like in single player, despite the fact that we played the maximum 20 minutes and didn't exactly dawdle. Only the basic two enemy types ever appeared.

Oh, and single player level 93, or more specifically 96, is a bitch of a thing.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Yeah, multiplayer was unfortunately a bit of a dud. It lacked any purpose. A cooperative mode would be nice.

And level 96 is still 157 levels further than I can get at the moment.