Street Fighter 2

Organise online games for XBL / PSN / PC / Switch

Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

See I can compensate - as Sonic_Jam knows - can usually pull off a fireball or a dragon punch, but damn it's much more difficult than it should be. "No probs"? You're in a minority.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

With fighters, the dpad is just a bad tool for the job imo. You really need a stick if you want to avoid frustration and be able to pull off 2in1 combos with ease. Especially since this version of sf2 is very fast paced, well faster than i remember it to be.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

So how's the stick work with SF? I was thinking of buying one for the arcade games. I've read the stick is a bit loose for SF moves though.

Is JB still the best place to get it?
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

Jizzy you must be the only person on all of Games-Ranch, and Gaf, and several other forums I know about.

It's a widespread acknowledged problem with the D-Pad design mate, there are even a number of websites listing various D-Pad mods you can do to improve its response...
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

actually Lestat is kinda right, pulling off those old combos is difficult, but I had that prob with almost all console pads (saturn d-pad was so nice and loose yet accurate).
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The 360 d-pad is fucking garbage! I can't believe MS can go from so good (S-pad) to so bad (360). I'm going to mod my controller and fix the d-pad because I feel like a retard doing what is usually bread and butter stuff in SF2.

BTW I have the game so come challenge and beat me while you can bitches! I'll have to employ ilce tactics to win, fortunately the 360 d-pad is quite happy to accommodate players who wish to sit in the corner charging up sonic booms for three to five rounds.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Candy DOA arcade stick GET!

btw since i was mostly away when sf2 finally came out on holidays, I'm keen to have some games with gr folk, I'll be online later for a quickie if anyone is keen.
mech

Post by mech »

Candy Arse wrote:The 360 d-pad is fucking garbage! I can't believe MS can go from so good (S-pad) to so bad (360). I'm going to mod my controller and fix the d-pad because I feel like a retard doing what is usually bread and butter stuff in SF2.

BTW I have the game so come challenge and beat me while you can bitches! I'll have to employ ilce tactics to win, fortunately the 360 d-pad is quite happy to accommodate players who wish to sit in the corner charging up sonic booms for three to five rounds.
Jizzy McLobber wrote:I think a skilled gamer can compensate, as I said I had no probs with it.
GreyWizzard wrote:A bad tradesman always blames his tools.
You're just an unskilled gamer and a bad tradesman Candy Arse.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I could've yold you that ages ago
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Ayrton Senna wouldn't win a GP driving a mini.
Pat

Post by Pat »

The d-pad is fucking shithouse. I wouldnt even trust it to manage charge moves properly ffs.

No wonder they wont put 3rd Strike on the BC list - it would be an insult to the game to have to try and parry with the worst d-pad in history. Hell, even the gamecube dpad is better. :fight
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Candy Arse wrote:Ayrton Senna wouldn't win a GP driving a mini.
he'd be dead!
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I played some games with Pilon last night and I'm pretty disappointed by it. I'm on a 1500/256 connection these days, and the experience for me was far far worse than playing SFAC on a 512/128 connection. I couldn't even pull off a single spinning piledriver with Zangief, where normally (as people here who have played me at these games can attest) I can just walk right up and grab someone with it (or a splash with Hugo).

ugh
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I agree Candy, last night before you got on I played some online rounds for the first time and the net code imo is shit. You could just feel the lag/delay in gameplay, so forget trying to do split second counters.

Also Candy Zangief is screwed in this version, even in the single player with a stick it's extremely hard to pull the spinning piledriver off. I'm not sure why his controls are busted, most of the other characters feel ok. I'm wondering whether gamespeed has something to do with it, because sonic and I have noticed that the game feels a little faster than what we remember.
mech

Post by mech »

Doesn't feel faster than the original Hyper version to me lestat.

And I found it easier to do his spinning piledriver than I did back in the day.

Weird how we're all having different problems with it. But I guess that might be because we've all been playing so many different Street Fighters since then originally came out :D
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

You know what's funny mech, is online the game feels slower to me, but single player feels faster than it should be. weird...

As for the zangief, i remember that to pull of the piledriver, you have to spin the controller with a certain speed for it to work. So possibly the speed and timing candy and i are used just doesn't work in this version. We might have to do it slower/faster than what we are used to. That's my theory on why he feels busted.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

For some crazy reason I can pull off the pile driver more often in this version then in the SNES days. Almost impossible to do it online though...

Zangief didn't have the running grab in this version did he?
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

My housemate is a Zangief god, he still lands his 360 piledrivers more often than not on live, even with the lag. Definitely misses more than he does offline tho (which is never :fight )

I've noticed the game slows down hardcore the more lag there is.

I havent had huge problems with the DPAD personally. You definitely have to be more precise in hyperfighting than in newer SF games though. In alpha and SF3 etc they really loosened em up :)
[size=67]Currenty playing: SFIV, Forza 2, RE5[/size]
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Offline in this version of SF2 I can use Zangief as well as I usually can regarding piledrivers. After playing Pilon I went into practice mode and didn't have a problem. Same goes for playing against the CPU.

I think I'm going to do one of those mods on the d-pad as well.

Regarding the speed, it feels like the MD or SNES versions at 5 or 6 stars.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

yeah it is meant to be set to max speed.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I quite like the pace of it, really.

However some of the voices and sound effects are off. Also the online interface is a bit silly - select your characters and then press start to play? uh....

I want to play it more online to see if last night's lag-a-thon was just an isolated incident. No way am I writing a game like this off early on.

....SF3 to XBLA plz, Capcom.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Regarding the speed, it feels like the MD or SNES versions at 5 or 6 stars.
That's how it feels to me too, but to be honest a faster speed setting is worse for online play. When you're talking about 30-100ms lag over the internet, pushing the game speed up only makes the lag problem feel worse.

But I guess the original arcade code didn't have a speed setting and possibly it could also be the reason why the netcode isn't the best. The game is obvious running in an emulator and the netcode engine is built around inputs to the emulator. Which is why the game feels like a kailera online game.
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

When Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting was released on Xbox Live Arcade earlier this month, many were dismayed to find the game suffered from crippling lag issues. Players also complained that it was possible for "cheaters" to intentionally log out of a game they were losing. Today, Major Nelson, Xbox Live Director of Programming, announced a patch has been released that aims to solve these problems.

Specifically, the update addresses connection and time out issues, and will clear the leaderboards in an attempt to reset the playing field after many users have caused intentional disconnections.

Players will be automatically prompted to install the update the next time they login to Xbox Live with Street Fighter II.
HOT!

I can start playing it again!
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

FUCKING SWEET!!!