Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Chromehounds

Post by Twit »

Short version: Chromehounds was awesome cunt fucken stupid thing anyone want another game?

Pointless Friday boredom rant version:

Chromehounds...shit. Every time I think of Chromehounds I think of night-time fireworks in the suburbs of Qara, failure to connect, getting smashed by the Morskoj cannon train, dropping out and having to reconnect, satisfyingly coordinated tactical battles with big robots and lots of stuff going boom...and the horror of seeing my bank balance at -999,999,999.

It was a much maligned game, but personally I think it was also the most under-appreciated flawed gem in the 360's early line-up. When it all came together it was awesome-o. Unfortunately that just wasn't very often.

I spent hours in the garage fine-tuning my hounds - trying out different weapon combinations, builds for different roles, how to get everything I needed to somehow fit with minimal compromise. I'd try out by builds in campaign - do a little good for the home side, get some money to buy more parts and see how my build would fare in battle. Then, on the occasions where we did get some multiplayer happening, it was good to see what others had come up with and how we could get some teamwork going. It was sometimes kinda funny when lack of teamwork led to abject failure. It was great to see howitzers and rockets rain down on the hapless last remaining victim.

I'd love to see FROM give it another shot. All they needed was more stable netcode, fewer bugs, perhaps a little more visual tweaking in the garage, and a more involving campaign.

Do any of you still own this? Anyone interested in giving it a final shot? (assuming it's still going) I'm certainly not in it for the money...
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I loved this game so much, but the bugs just totally destroyed it.

I still have my copy. That Morskoj cannon fucking obliterated my poor mech :(
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Needs more 300 dollar control pads before this game is considered legitimate.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I really liked it too, the AI actually freaked me out, and it was even more freaky when it wasn't AI (the only way of knowing was the funky paint jobs and odd tactics).

if a sequel comes out i'll grab it for sure
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Fuck I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was thinking that maybe, just maybe, a Chromehounds revival had to happen.
Do any of you still own this? Anyone interested in giving it a final shot? (assuming it's still going) I'm certainly not in it for the money...
Yes and yes, sign me up. And yes I'd buy a sequel.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

geez, I might have to go out and buy another copy
i'm all for a revival!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Right now I'm glad I didn't trade the game in. I had thoughts of it once it died in the arse, but being the sentimental old fool/collector that I am, I kept it.

Let's do this. Avengers Assemble!
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

So at least 3 of us still have copies, and jizz will no doubt rush out and snap up a bargain bin version and not get rid of it this time!

My weird tie-fighter hover commander thing is poised and ready to coordinate the mission and clear the odd turret...and generally hoon around the slower moving twin-twin behemoths like an idiot when I'm bored. Or I could take my all-purpose sniper/soldier dude if the numbers are low or someone else wants to command.

I could be free for a little bash tonight, but not for long. How about tomorrow sometime? Pick a time - I'll turn up. Gotta work off that debt.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

i'll check EB tomorrow, who'll be on in the evening?
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I will.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

i'm out, can't find chromehounds anywhere.
might check cashies later, otherwise it's ebay.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Who's idea was this? Huh? Fucken stupid whoever it was...

After some weirdness connecting to Xbox LIVE I got Chromehounds running. It downloaded an update, which I thought might be a good thing (maybe get rid of some connection issues or something) and then I tried to jump on LIVE.

It told me I have no save. Fuck that - I put 100 million hours into it! I went back out and checked that the save was still there. It was. Then I remembered that I've probably changed my gamertag since I last played (from KAKwit to Twit AU). It wants me to start again from scratch.

I was having a play around and thinking about what to do...maybe change my tag back to what it was, or just start again, or whatever. And then my Xbox froze. Reboot, start again, half-way through loading and it froze again. Then again. And again. And a fucking gain. I turned it off for awhile and then tried to play some NFS Pro Street. Two events down, things looking good, started a third event...and it froze.

I think my release day unit is about to go tits up. My desire to play Chromehounds again has killed it. I haven't had the 3 red rings yet, but these lockups aren't looking promising. I might give it a rest for awhile, wait until it cools a bit, and try again.

I wonder if I could change my name back to KAKwit and get on Chromehounds again? Is my unit dead? How do I ensure I get a newer revision on the next one? Can I copy this HDD over to the next one?

I should probably post in the survivor thread. I've been ignoring that one so as not to jinx myself...

:(
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Twit wrote:It told me I have no save. Fuck that - I put 100 million hours into it! I went back out and checked that the save was still there. It was. Then I remembered that I've probably changed my gamertag since I last played (from KAKwit to Twit AU). It wants me to start again from scratch.
That will probably be it. I wouldn't want to start over again. Oh well... Candy let's start a Battlestations Midway revival.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Ooh! It's working now...somehow. I tried again with the new box and now I'm back in Team Cowboy and everything looks fine (except for my massive negative balance...why can't they just reset all negatives back to zero?)

I just did an easy defensive mission at Him Hime and it made me remember why I liked this game so much.

If anyone still wants a bash then let me know.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Oh well... Candy let's start a Battlestations Midway revival.
Revival? I was the only person on here who played the fucking thing. For you it's your first time PLAYING IT.

But yes I'd be up for that. Fucking kick arse game.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Don't you remember the two games we played where you kicked my arse?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Did I? I thought that was Pat. :lol:
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

So what's happening? You guys lost interest again?

I was on there last night and built myself a new tracked hound. Nothing special really - I tend to be reasonably good at using certain weapons so I just keep using them over and over (assault and sniper rifles). It's a little faster and better armoured than my previous one though. Seemed okay in a couple trials...I'll probably have another bash tonight to further refine it.

Apparantly grenades are the new double-double, so I might have to try something with them too. I'm not exactly sure what it's about - I think they are cheap and light and do reasonable damage, so people pack a bunch of them together and spam a target and it strips their weapons pretty quick because they do area damage or something. Probably a bit tricky to aim though.

Anyway, feel free to join me in blowing shit up. If you have the issue I first had when attempting to get to the online part (didn't recognise me) then I think you just load your single player campaign first, then jump back on LIVE.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

I just have to find a copy mate :)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

yeah I wouldn't mind grabbing a copy and joining in.
Replica
Almost Original

Post by Replica »

Fun while it lasted, but glad I traded it. Too much repetition and too unpolished. Shame, as it could have been alot better with about 6 months of work.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/replicav2.png[/img]
ebe
XBL ID: ebeonline
Steam ID: ebe

Post by ebe »

hay guyz wuts goign on in this thread?

Grey's housemate here. Finally picked up my own 360 last weekend, and he mentioned some of you folks were having a go of Chromehounds again. I've wanted to play it since it came out, and lucked onto a copy today at BigW.

Would be keen to hook up if there's people still online with this?
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

It's worth playing the single-player campaign first as it will unlock the Rafzakael parts you will need to build a decent HOUND as well as introduce you to things. Once you've done that you can go online and play preset missions for cash, deathmatch type games or war missions. For the last one you either need to join a squad or make one of your own.

Unfortunately (as you can probably tell from this thread) there's not a huge amount of interest left around these parts. I'd still be up for a game or two if something happens.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Once I get my phone line connected and some decent broadband I'll jump on a few times.
ebe
XBL ID: ebeonline
Steam ID: ebe

Post by ebe »

Yeah no prob. The occasional game I might score from here will be better than the 0 games I will score from anyone else I know.

Playing through single player now. Got a fair way to go for decent parts tho. I can just build a workable Hound now, but it's a way off being useful.