Lost Odyssey - Asian version is PAL compatible

Organise online games for XBL / PSN / PC / Switch

Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

Ben
Southpoor

Lost Odyssey - Asian version is PAL compatible

Post by Ben »

I'm not sure how interested anyone was in this title but if anyone had been keeping an eye on it, I was browsing Play-Asia and noticed that the Asian, English language version works on PAL consoles.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dw-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -2iys.html

Tempted to pick it up, the initial no-gameplay trailer piqued my interest quite a bit (with the lead character running around kicking heavily armoured monster's arses until lava from another planet burns everything) but some of the gameplay I've seen didn't look hugely impressive.

Still, for $60 I'm considering it, I probably wouldn't buy it for full $100 retail as I'm sure it's going to be another long RPG, and if I never get around to finishing it or playing that much of it then it's a bit of a waste, but for $60 even if I never do play that much and I sell it down the track, the price of admission won't have been too exxy.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

when you get it let us know what you think.

I played the initial demo in japan a few years back and thought very little of it, but the new trailers showing a party running across the hills and the combat system all looked pretty cool to me.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

7th Feb is shaping up to be massive by Feb standards.
Burnout Paradise, Lost Odyssey and Devil May Cry 4.

I don't think I'll be getting any as I'm still snowed with titles, but my pick of the three is LO, and I might grab it later on.
I'm looking forward to reviews and first hand impressions.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
whitespider
I'm a real farmer now!

Post by whitespider »

The chances of it being better than blue dragon, are 100%.
God I hate smashmouth and the offspring.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

probably, Blue Dragon was very vanilla.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Pre order LO and get free downloadable content according to XBox Australia.

A bonus episode... so an extra level or some crap... and a new skill which will increase your defense
Juzbuffa
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
XBL ID: Juzbuffa1

Post by Juzbuffa »

I also saw this on PA today but after doing some research I've heard its only the audio thats in english, not the text. I think I'll hold out for the local release anyway so I can return it if need be.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen through your eyes...

Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Yeah? I'd heard that the Japanese version had English Audio in it, but the product page of the Asian version kind of specifically states full English support in bold underneath the description;
This version supports selectable English, Japanese or Korean voices with English or Chinese menus and subtitles.
Where abouts did you read that it was just the audio?
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

I'm interested, but a bit wary after the major disappointment Blue Dragon was for me.

I think I'll hold out for now. It's not like I need yet another long game to play anyway. Got too many games that I'm neglecting.
Juzbuffa
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
Arse Surgery By Shotgun

Post by Juzbuffa »

This was from an IGN preview in December http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/840/840035p2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A note to those who are considering importing ahead of the international release. Lost Odyssey has both Japanese and English vocal tracks, selectable from the main menu. The English vocal track has been superb so far, but the Japanese version of the game does not include English text to accompany it. The game might be difficult to navigate without Japanese reading ability, so we'd suggest waiting for the official English release.
It may have just been the early preview version though, the article was from early December.

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

video preview

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30040.html?type=flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

random encounters aye? That might be a bit of a turn off for some.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

I'm pumped for this game. Now to find the time....
corporationsix

Post by corporationsix »

Sure it's very pretty and the story is interesting, but after Blue Dragon, I couldn't sit through another 40+ hours of the same turn based combat. In fact Blue Dragon didn't have Random Encounters, so that's one advantage over Lost Odyssey.

In my opinion, Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata is still the top pick of JRPGs on the 360.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Due out next thursday in AU. You can get it for $87 from dvdcrve.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

wow... my copy shipped today. I'll have it monday
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I actually got it yesterday but the post was ninja'd in after 5pm so I didn't see it until 6:20am... while I was leaving for work.

Man... this game is slow paced. I am only an hour in but wow is this slow... also, Mr I Can't Talk is kind of annoying me. I have only enjoyed one ... person and that was Linear Cannon from Evolution.

It's also a mixed bag graphically, at times it can look so damn pretty and then at others you get these really low res textures and some jaggies on objects.

Sometimes they don't include subtitles... it was odd when you run into the first voice actors and they are talking to each other and there is no text... great, so... is this going to happen often? I switched to english listened while blood flowed from my ears at the bad voice acting, saw subtitles quit, loaded my game switched to jap and listened again. The english voice actor for the main dude is so terrible and generic. yay...

Hopefully both the pacing and the story line pick up because so far... this is dullsville.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just unlocked the first dream. So Kaim is Woverine. Check.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Hmmm. I think you've just killed this for me Grey. :(
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Its slow to start but gets a lot better. Don't let Grey put you off, he's got shit taste in games anyhow :P
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Okies, the dreams you are find are excellent bits of story telling.

Also once Jensen and Seth join the party Kaim becomes more of a person. Jensen is one of the funniest side kicks ever in a game. Really well written and it isn't just cheesey one liners coming out of his mouth, it is pure comedy gold. Great body acting for the character too.

It is a very very very slow starting game though. But the more characters develop and the more dreams you unlock the more likeable the game becomes.

Like I said, I was only about an hour into the game but fuck all besides a completely awesome battle scene had occured. So many people get owned in the intro it's not funny.
Last edited by GreyWizzard on 05 Feb 2008 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

also... at least I never watched a single episode of Joey.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I thought Mass Effect didn't really gather steam until the 5 hour mark. Some games are just slow to start, if they are just building to something...it's all good.
Juzbuffa
Arse Surgery By Shotgun
Arse Surgery By Shotgun

Post by Juzbuffa »

It does slow right down after the intro section when its nothing but story and wandering around without fighting for the next hour or so. Once you get some party members and actually get into the game proper it does pick up. However, I've found that the random battles arent that common, you can sometimes walk around for a couple minutes before the next encounter. I like it better than having to fight every 2 steps you take.

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

lower random encounters are only good if it is high on story content and levels really aren't important.

What I am seeing so far is that skills are more important than levels. Which is cool because they really don't seem to require to much for your immortals to learn them.

I've just gotten upto the hut in the mountains... and I am liking what I am playing... but that is mainly due to Jensen and how he is playing off the other characters.

man a day off work could be awesome...
whitespider
I'm a real farmer now!

Post by whitespider »

I just reverse everything grey says, so his positive comments about this game are totally putting me off it.
God I hate smashmouth and the offspring.