Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

I (now) completely agree with the ethos that the developer has taken. If you manage to cover all gameplay aspects adequately, why repeat them over and over for the sake of artificially increasing the value of the game? I'm actually quite happy now that they went down that route AND charged an appropriate amount for it. It ensures that Number None will knock up another game or two for us.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

This is damn expensive compared to the gems on PSN however I think I'll still get it, the demo was quite an experience.
Nath

Post by Nath »

Who else here has purchased (and finished) the game?

All of this talk about finishing it in under an hour...I am curious if anyone other than the 'hardcore' who race through games just to brag about how quickly it can be completed have done it so fast first time around.

Maybe its common to finish it that fast and I am the odd one out? But considering the 'Speed Run' achievement is given for finishing it in 45 minutes or less, I get the impression the developers werent intending it to be finished that fast on the first playthrough.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

If you just run through it, you could finish it easily. The beauty lies in getting all the puzzle pieces. There's no fucking way ANYONE could finish it under an hour or even two unless they use a playguide.

Shit, I must've put five hours in and am only about half way through the last world (have 53 pieces so far).
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

this game is annoying the shit out of me
Nath

Post by Nath »

Shaneus wrote:If you just run through it, you could finish it easily. The beauty lies in getting all the puzzle pieces. There's no fucking way ANYONE could finish it under an hour or even two unless they use a playguide.

Shit, I must've put five hours in and am only about half way through the last world (have 53 pieces so far).
Thats what I thought...when I say 'finish' the game I mean finding all of the pieces and completing the ladder to reach the top level (which is VERY cool btw).

I reckon it took me about 6 hours to finish...and it was worth every cent I paid for it.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

I put probly about 4to 4.5 hours in to the game and have now only got speed run left on the acheivments which I am not bothered about getting.

Anyone who thinks the game is complete by venturing thru all the worlds is incorrect, the game is gathering ALL the puzzle pieces which will take ANYONE more than an hour to do their first go through.

And no I still dont understand the too expensive attitude. How much did you last spend at the video rental store for 2-4 hours of entertainment? Close to 15 dolla I'd wager. How much did you spend to see TDK?

More games like this on XBLA pleez, a welcome alternative to the poo that usualy appears in the 'New Arrivals' section.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

pilonv1 wrote:this game is annoying the shit out of me
Noticed u solved world 2

[Click to see hidden content]
how long did it take for you to use the painting to get that piece?

I found that really annoying and cool at that same time.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

painting thing is fine. its the time bullshit i dont like
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

What're you up to, pilon?
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

just finishing "just out of reach". hated irreversible. really not enjoying this much
mech

Post by mech »

BruceCamblzChin wrote:
pilonv1 wrote:this game is annoying the shit out of me
Noticed u solved world 2

[Click to see hidden content]
how long did it take for you to use the painting to get that piece?

I found that really annoying and cool at that same time.
That bit was totally fucked.

The things pilon found annoying I found quite easy and fun.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Yeah I know what you mean Pilon, while I'm still enjoying it, I can see the time control getting old quickly...
Professor of Grand Theft Autoligy

Post by offline »

I caved in and bought this. Right now I am in two minds - firstly I am amazed how something so simple can be a completely new experience but secondly my fears of length are justified. I already have done over half the pieces and a few others can be frustrating rather than the "ahhh, that's how you do it" moments that most pieces give.

Timing jumps can be rather annoying, even with the rewind. Anyway, a great game so far but a little lacking for my tastes.
mech

Post by mech »

This game messed with my dreams.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I really enjoyed it, it's probably going to end up being my GOTY.

I liked it for the same reasons I liked Portal. Improving at the game was all about your level of awareness as to how the rules worked in a foreign environment. To be comfortable with Portal you've got to consider the theoretical space you're effectively in by having the portal gun, and if you're able to visualise it everything clicks. With Braid, you need time as a dimension to be as intuitive as the X and Y axis (or as close as you can get)- I think not taking this approach and instead treating it all as a series of isolated puzzles is why there's some reports of the difficulty curve being all over the place, and some puzzle piece solutions being really obscure. Some took me longer than others, but there were only four I didn't have when I got to the end of the game, and I picked them all up the next time I played. Everything made sense and could be worked out logically, including the two tricky ones near the start. I also liked the structure of it, the way you revisited similar levels with different rules. It's just so complete and well thought through.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

People keep comparing this to Portal... which I'm really glad about, because I'll be grabbing that once it hits XBLA, too.

I'm doing it (possibly) the harder way of making sure I get *every* piece as I go... just don't want to progress further knowing that I've left something behind!
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

pilonv1 wrote:just finishing "just out of reach". hated irreversible. really not enjoying this much
Yeah, I don't really understand all the hype on this one. I played the demo and didn't like it at all.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Finaly finish world 4, that was FUCKING hard.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Which one was that again?
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Timbo wrote:Finaly finish world 4, that was FUCKING hard.
Shaneus wrote:Which one was that again?
Timbo wrote:world 4
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Yeah, but what was the time effect in it, numbnuts.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

The one where everything goes backwards when you do. A real chore. :( Still haven't got the hang of what's going on in world 5 yet...
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Ah yeah, that one shit me. The one where you have to kill all the lions in the stage (Jumpman?) shit me right off. The shadow one is awesome though, once you get the hang of how everything works.
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

Just downloaded and played the demo... this game is really, really tough.

The game seem like a lot of fun, but I'm not sure if I have got the patience, or the skill to play this game - it's a bloody hard game :redface: