Phantasy Star Universe

Organise online games for XBL / PSN / PC / Switch

Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Phantasy Star Universe

Post by Rorschach »

Just a quick question if you own the game, do you have to pay any extra money to access the online content (i.e. Hunter's License)? I saw a second hand copy of this game tonight for $25 and if having a Gold Live membership is enough I'm going to pick it up. Even though the single player mode was as shallow as Paris Hilton PSO was pretty cool online.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

You need to purchase a hunters license to play online and have a gold account.

*waits for PS3 trollers to come in and go on about some free service, blah blah blah*
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Thanks tomby. That sucks, I played the demo (which only allows you to roam around the lobby) and it brought back a lot of good memories of PSO. I don't want to pay extra though.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Yeah same, I had it mid last year and although I found the SP boring as hell (too much dialogue) I was keen to give the MP a shot, but wasn't prepared to pay twice to play online.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yeah it's a ripoff (I have it). Pay for XBL, buy the game, pay again for a license. Fuck that.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I played the beta when it first came out and it was pretty fun, brought back some great memories... but yeah, double dipping... I don't think so Tim.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Forcing people to buy a license basically killed the game off imo. They could have cashed in on the rather large PSO fanbase but greed got the better of them.

And it was too bad, at the time I was really itching for some PSO-style gaming again.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

especially 6 player teams...
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

The beta/demo version of PSU (that you download from XBL) lets you actually play online and I think is still up for download.

I think it resets characters weekly or monthly or something though but if you want to just get a quick taste of PSO again it might be worth a look, I know a few ranchers were playing when it came out.

But yeah, I got PSU for $25 in one of EB's 2 for $50 sales but I only ever played through the single player. You don't need gold to play online but having to pay a hunters license seemed a bit much still considering in these here parts (the ranch :P) you typically would already have gold.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

I picked up PSU for PS2 about a year ago in one of those 2 for 50 sales as well. I played it online for 45 days (signed up for a month and got a bonus 15 days for being a new subcriber). It was nice enough, but being on the PC/PS2 "rest of world" server meant that I played with mainly US and European players rather than JP players - so the servers were often relatively sparse due to time differences.

I'd contemplated picking up the expansion pack when it came out, thinking that it might be a good time to go online with an influx of new players - but the US got the pack about 3 months before us, so ultimately I gave it a miss. It probably didn't help that none of my "RL" friends that played PSO were wanting to play PSU, either, and most of the people I'd met in PSO were splintered between varying versions of PSU (JP release PC/PS2, world release PC/PS2, and 360).
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

t0mby wrote:You need to purchase a hunters license to play online and have a gold account.
Nah, you can play PSU online with a silver account, but you still have to pay the PSU subscription itself. The same is true for FFXI on XBL.

Of course this point is moot since who only has a silver account anyway?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Oooo, I didnt realise that. Still why bother creating a Silver account if you already have a Gold one, stil gotta pay twice either way it works. Only good for people who dont want to pay for Gold.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

I have the PC and PS2 version of it. Haven't grabbed the expansion yet though. The whole delayed combat aspect is kind of disconcerting.