Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

I just tinkered with some graphics settings, and man does it look better! Everyone who thinks it still looks bad, try these:
Keeping in mind that the contrast is max, adjust the others to match... hopefully it'll improve the look of the game for everyone else!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

it's a bit like Blackjack - you gotta get exactly 301 points to win - the last of which has to be a 'double' - the thin outer ring..
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
whitespider
I'm a real farmer now!

Post by whitespider »

What's the order of shots? or... where do you start and work your way towards?
God I hate smashmouth and the offspring.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

you start with 301 points, and end up with zero. Try hitting the triple 20 for the highest points.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
NOBBiE

Post by NOBBiE »

Whitespider, you need to finish on 0... but to win you need to hit a double (the outer ring). so if you have 22 points left to win you need to hit the outer most part of the 11 and 20 for 40 and so on.

Dont forget there's an achievement for 180 (3 triple20's)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

The ach for Pool and 10 Pin are a bit tricky imo.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Yeah getting the lighting right is hard... too much of one thing can make the days look too overblown, but it is hard to get the night to look right...
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Initial impressions (played for about 30 minutes):

- I like the way the game begins the moment you turn it on.

- The intro sequence is cool, Niko is a likeable character with a funny accent.

- The graphics are solid, not eye-popping (so far) but much better than I was expecting. The frame rate is solid too.

- The lock-on system is much better this time around.

- I don't like the way the cars handle (never have for that matter).

- The gameworld reminds me of Shenmue, a definite plus.

Overall GTA4 has impressed me, especially considering I didn't like GTA3 or Vice City that much. I bought it based purely on hype (that and I managed to find a store in Osaka that has the UK version for sale at a good price, $60) but so far the game hasn't disappointed me.
Professor of Grand Theft Autoligy

Post by offline »

Rorschach wrote:The frame rate is solid
It is excellent all the time except when you have a six star wanted. At that point it drops to around one frame ever three seconds for a bit. If you are at the start of the game you can try this by swimming west to where you haven't opened yet. It also stutters on occasion when you hit those tyre dividers between roads. Still, how they managed the rest is beyond me.
- The lock-on system is much better this time around.
Really? GTA games weak point has always been the targeting of the wrong people and this was no exception. 99% of the time it is fine but sometimes it will lock onto someone walking by instead of that guy with the huge weapon shooting you. It is also difficult to switch to a character above your own and instead goes for those behind cover. Odd but workable.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Really? GTA games weak point has always been the targeting of the wrong people and this was no exception. 99% of the time it is fine but sometimes it will lock onto someone walking by instead of that guy with the huge weapon shooting you. It is also difficult to switch to a character above your own and instead goes for those behind cover. Odd but workable.
This is why I've always despised lock on in games whether it be using melee or gun weapons.

The only exception is for flight sims and anything that involves using a vehicle with lock on weapons.
Lets say two generations from now a gta is made which uses the microsoft waggle and you can do head shots with ease. I would love to travel to that future in a time machine and say to the people living in the present day: this is what accurate gun fighting is all about. None of this call of duty 3 auto-lockon business, or accidentally killing your own friends and then geting a message saying: "friendly fire will not be tolerated" because the computer was too stupid to know that I'm trying to get that other guy behind the friendly target doh.

Lock-on is like the days of going back to the digital dpad to move in only 8 directions and not feeling truly one with the characters own movements.

And before whitespider and the gta fans say it shouldn't matter because gta is still the funnest game around, or that the additions make up for the smaller things, remember there is is always room for improvement. Otherwise people wouldn't look forward to new editions of old things they liked.

This latest game seems to want to be a "godfather" of crime games, but even then it has some flaws (it's stuck between trying to be funny and trying to be serious) that can be mentioned by critics worth noting. (games being split between telling a story and allowing freedom to be in control of yourself within a world full of activity and other things to do beyond it)

Gamers still want control, creators want to be accepted for furthering what games can be (an artform) but at the end of the day, fans of it need to admit the small stuff; especially if it is something that should be easy to fix, is still worth tweaking/refining/perfecting regardless of what score you got from gamerankings or metacritic or the praise from the press. Fans should demand good controls in games as much as fans should demand good camera controls or good balance. Don't forget it's still a game that you play.

The very same criticisms of needing good controls (remember the frustration with the sword fighting in twilight princess using wiimote and how it is just not as responsive as using older GC controls?) should be leveled at all games and be taken into consideration as much as story and other stuff. Yes games can be art, they can have depth beyond mindless killing, (which is what they've always been about traditionally) have interesting and immersive worlds, but we shouldn't lose track of what is important after hours of playing. (can we fight properly? are we in control of what happening on screen? are issues like framerate or poor collision detection in one area making it hard to succeed, does the enemy ai have too much advantage because the computer only has to lock onto 1 target but you have to choose between several neutral and enemy targets so there is a delay from when you begin to attack to when you killed a target? All these little things count too)

Now I know you guys love your movies and take gaming as being like a movie you interact with, but I've always prefferred to see the medium as being better when it's seen as you being yourself projecting your own version of that character (who has many blank areas to fill in which are not filled in by the creator of the game so you can mold him like clay) within a world, acting of your own accord. (you can choose to break from responsibilities that would tie you down to a particular path to find out what it is like going the opposite direction)
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

offline wrote:Really? GTA games weak point has always been the targeting of the wrong people and this was no exception. 99% of the time it is fine but sometimes it will lock onto someone walking by instead of that guy with the huge weapon shooting you. It is also difficult to switch to a character above your own and instead goes for those behind cover. Odd but workable.
I got into a melee with a bunch of guys because I ran one of their number over - I have to say the fighting system is pretty disappointing. If they had managed to do something like Shenmue it would have been cool but locking onto multiple targets consecutively can be a little hit and miss. Still, it is easy to ignore the small faults of the game so far. Just so long as it doesn't interfere with the overall gameplay. I'm not entirely sure this game deserves a 99% (overzealous reviewers in most cases) but it is definitely pushing the limits.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So, has anybody worked out why this qualifies as the fourth title in the series, rather than just GTA: Subtitle?

...personally, I think it's just because it's the 4th 3D title in the series...
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

4th game engine iteration?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Because Vice City and San Andreas were just full price expansion packs. They were all using the same engine for III just with extra features and tweaks.

Just like GTA London was an expansion pack using the same engine.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

My Japanese copy has girls dancing with their boobs owt and stuff HEH HE HEHE HEHE HE HE HEHEHEHEH!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

There is no Japanese version yet...
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Beer Belly
The Sweetest banana in the bunch
XBL ID: BeerBelly 360
PSN ID: BeerBellyAU
Steam ID: kigurai

Post by Beer Belly »

:lol:
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

In all honesty, I'd love to see a Japan/Japanese-based sandbox game. Kinda like Shenmue, but not boring.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Oh you mean Yakuza?
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Shaneus wrote:In all honesty, I'd love to see a Japan/Japanese-based sandbox game. Kinda like Shenmue, but not boring.
Is it just me or was getting a can from a soft drink vending machine in Shenmue more realistic/better animated/more refreshing?
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Possibly, but not as fun as anything in GTA. Don't get me wrong, I loved what the Shenmue series did, but I never got into it because it just felt too slow.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Rorschach wrote:There is no Japanese version yet...
Well then I must be living in the twilight zone then coz Play Asia shipped me an NTSC-J copy to go with my NTSC-J 360 that I bort in Japan last year.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Shenmue needs carjacking now? I think it just needs realtime sailor-flirting and the ability to get sweaty anywhere.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I think what shenmue needs most is for the third installment to be announced.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
whitespider
I'm a real farmer now!

Post by whitespider »

what shenmue needs is a good script, non-boring events, and to understand what "free world" actually means. Too much fixing needed, impossible task. Fail.

Or alternatively,

I loved shenmue, it's script and writing where fantastic, I loved the story the most. Captivating and deep. The free roam elements where extraordinary. The graphics still impress me to this day. Best game ever.
God I hate smashmouth and the offspring.