Why xbox live isn't free

Organise online games for XBL / PSN / PC / Switch

Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yeah, Sony's first real effort at an online (free) service and it beats XBL straight away :lol:
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Madmya wrote:Yeah and it's taken them a long time to do so.
As candy said, they have done so within 2 years of trying.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The problem with the xbots is that they can't/don't/won't look at things objectively. They say XBL is superior simply because it's an Xbox product.

If XBL were free, I think any unbiased observer would give the points to XBL at this point in time, but weighing everything up, and with in-game XMB pending + free service, PSN = console winner.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Pat wrote:
Madmya wrote:Yeah and it's taken them a long time to do so.
As candy said, they have done so within 2 years of trying.
I love how you think they only started developing PSN the day the console was released.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

The real denial isn't coming from me in this thread, westical. We all know PS2 wasnt equipped for a unified online system from day 1. PSN is the result of a PS2-gen beta test. And feature-for-feature, it has bettered XBL (as of 2.40) and it costs nothing.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

What am I in denial about?

You're in a forum about a console you don't give a fuck about, a forum that was specially created because of your previous temper tantrums, backslapping Sony for taking six years to match Microsoft's online features.

Should we send them an award or something?
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

... I'm actually following on the debate from the article I read. Maybe you shouldn't be so defensive about a service that doesn't justify an online fee. If enough people bitch about it there is every chance it will change. You should thank me.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Apart from a couple of exceptions , Live still offers a lot more varied content than PSN.

PSN may be free but just doesn't feel the same way as playing a game on Live, it doesn't feel like you're connected into a community. Perhaps this will change with 2.40, but it's not here yet. So lets not count chickens before they hatch.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Community, as the article discusses, is basically having access to a list of 100 people available in all games.

Keeping the issue of XBLA and PSN game downloads separate from XBL and PSN as services ... that is the only tangible difference between them. 100 names on a list.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

It's actually potentially 100 x 100.

You get one hundred spots and then you can contact and view your friends' friend lists if they allow it.

Oh and that isn't counting your messenger contacts.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

I do dig the ability to see my MSN contacts. Those rumoured updates looked good to espesh the video chat with MSN peeps. I hope they happen this year.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Candy Arse wrote:The problem with the xbots is that they can't/don't/won't look at things objectively. They say XBL is superior simply because it's an Xbox product.

If XBL were free, I think any unbiased observer would give the points to XBL at this point in time, but weighing everything up, and with in-game XMB pending + free service, PSN = console winner.
This is the part that shits me. XBL is superior and still is superior while XMB is not out. It's already been acknowledged that once XMB does come out, Live needs to up the ante somewhat if they're going to charge for it. No one is denying this.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

The Sonybots just lik to wave red flags infront of us. :P

Its safe to ay that pretty much everyone who is moaning about XBL in here has a Gold XBL account anyway.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

The price is stupid. Other services offer something close to comparible, and with the release of 2.40 or whatever they want to call it, probably the same thing.

I wish it was cheaper, in fact I wish it was free. Paying for peer to peer is silly.

We'll see what happens with the next release for PSN.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

I think we use it for more than P to P tho dont we, if that was all you needed then we would just LAN it up for free like we used to before? For me leastways I like the MSN stuff, XBLA and game downloads, vid downloads, I use it a lot, prob not 80 dolla a year lot but a lot.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

But you're not paying for MSN, XBLA and game/vid downloads with your Gold account - they're all free for Silver owners, or they cost X hundred MS points whether your account is gold or silver.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

The only reason PSN is free is cos it wasnt worth shit in the first place and they have been building on it since. :p There will have to be an income of sorts soon if some massively popular online game comes out. PS3' momentum/userbase is building and if smething as popular as Halo comes out (Resistance 2 perhaps?) and there are dedicated servers running for 32 player matches, who is going to foot the bill for the years to come? Who is going to moan if after a few years they shut the servers down?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

Steam.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I thought about moderating this thread but I think it will be left as a reminder as to when Pat changed the rules "again".

Good luck in the PS3 forum now you have shifted the goal posts again.