XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Why xbox live isn't free

Post by lestat »

This might make you feel better every time you shell out 79 clams a year.

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/f/why" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 1147502012
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

Joke thread? Granted I only read the first page of the article.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Nicely balanced article, and it is interesting about how there is more chance of games being online on 360 if the devs dont have to pick up the cost.

I'll admit, over the last year Ive been questioning my gold sub and will probably be cancelling it shortly anyways.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

yep... very balanced article....

when in game XMB does eventually arrive for the PS3, Live is gunna seem like quite the pisstake I think..... my gold membership runs out in December so I'll see how everything is going by then and then make my decision.....

The one thing pissing me off about Live is the region locking... Go have a look at all the cool shit the US marketplace gets.... now try creating a US gamertag and try getting any of this stuff..... bzzt.... cant do it.... and now look at the content we have available.... once again, bzzt... its piss poor compared to what the US gets.. yet we are still expected to pay a premium... At some point gamers have to start asking since we are paying a premium to be on here how come we arent getting the same amount of content. It seems wrong that US Silver Live members have more access to cool shit than Australian Gold members do. Its just not right.....

I thought it was really funny that they have an interview with Airbourne on the US XBL.... but yet, I couldnt get it even with a US gamertag.... Im locked out by my IP....

An Australian band interview cant be accessed by Australians.... Thats fucked!

As I said, I'll see come December how things are looking... (with both Live and PSN) and make a decision then....
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I don't think that anyone can reasonably argue that MS should be charging for XBL. If they're serious about competing with the PS3 they'll have to give up this $600m and recover it through increased licencing fees or something. Obviously consumers still ultimately wear it but it's better to have all console owners online rather than just a bunch of suckers with too-high disposable income.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Reading that article, it is not balanced, it is slanted anti-MS, saying that competitors are snapping at their heels offering similar features. Well, that remains to be seen.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Blotto
Man Fairy

Post by Blotto »

tell me... when PS3 gets it's in game XMB what does Live have thats any better?

purchasable themes? LOL!
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

Choice. The option to pay or not pay. No such luxury on PS3.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Blotto wrote:tell me... when PS3 gets it's in game XMB what does Live have thats any better?

purchasable themes? LOL!
Well, they've had the best part of 2 years to deliver....
That's all i'm saying.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Blotto wrote:tell me... when PS3 gets it's in game XMB what does Live have thats any better?
Decent games.
Blotto
Man Fairy

Post by Blotto »

westical wrote:
Decent games.
funny that.... MGS4 owns the fuck out of the Xbox's 2 main titles Halo 3 & Gears of War.....

:lol:
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Don't worry about it Blotto, westical just appears more desperate and fanboyish as times goes. Bagging out PS3 when it really did lack for good games is fine, but when there are a ton of good games? Righto.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Blotto wrote:
westical wrote:
Decent games.
funny that.... MGS4 owns the fuck out of the Xbox's 2 main titles Halo 3 & Gears of War.....

:lol:
It's plural, not singular blotts. :D
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild

Post by westical »

I don't even have to try anymore.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

Twiztid Elf wrote:

purchasable themes? LOL!
Well, they've had the best part of 2 years to deliver....
That's all i'm saying.
And 2 years after PS3 launched PSN is in a position to match and exceed the features of XBL which is what, 6 years old? Just saying.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild

Post by westical »

So what you're saying is that it's taken them six years to only match Live's features?
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

As soon as in-game XMB hits it will have exceeded it, technically speaking. And I doubt anyone took PS2 era PSN seriously. That was a vague beta for the PS3 model which is what we're talking about here.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I don't see why there's so much crying? They've delivered a very good product for a long time and it's only NOW (actually, not even quite now) that they've caught up. It's only now that it's not beginning to be reasonable. I doubt xbox live will be subscription-based forever.

They'll change because of this, whether that's this generation though, I don't know.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Pat wrote:As soon as in-game XMB hits it will have exceeded it, technically speaking. And I doubt anyone took PS2 era PSN seriously. That was a vague beta for the PS3 model which is what we're talking about here.
a beta model... yet it still wasn't at a satisfactory level when PS3 came out.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

No, but it's pretty much on par now and thoguh neither system is perfect, kudos is deserved most to the one that does it for free.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

okay, just explain something to me...

I am online with my PS3 and I want to invite a friend into a game. How do I do this? Just explain the whole process of playing a game with one of your friends please.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

PC >>>>> *
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Pat wrote:No, but it's pretty much on par now and thoguh neither system is perfect, kudos is deserved most to the one that does it for free.
It's called evolution Patrick.
Pat
The Fury

Post by Pat »

No, evolution is the non-random survival of random mutations. What you are referring to is called 'improvement'.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

The thing is, XMB needs to happen at the OS level as a TSR. How they could have shipped PS3 this gen without providing room for it in the memory map is just mind boggling. The Xbox1 had it last gen ffs.

I'm not really across these techo issues, but that's my take on why they're finding it tough to implement?
RIGHTEOUS FURY