Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Why Bungies countdown amounted to... nothing

Post by Shaneus »

Here is the truth about what is really going on with Bungie and Microsoft at E3.

Bungie is developing a new Halo action game and since they separated from Microsoft they have licensed the Halo brand from Microsoft who is going to publish the game. Bungie had a sixty second knock’em down teaser trailer made that was going to unveil the game and it was going to be the close to Microsoft media keynote at E3. This was going to be followed up by Bungie doing their separate press event later on in the week on Wednesday to show off the new game.

Keep in mind that I am talking about a possible third Halo game in the works that is separate from Microsoft and Peter Jackson’s Halo : Chronicles or Ensemble Studio’s Halo Wars.

However the Microsoft executive that was in charge of their show at E3 is Don Mattrick and apparently there is some possible drama going on behind their evolving relationship with the now independent Bungie. The only person above Don Mattrick in Xbox is Robbie Bach then the chain of command goes to Steve Balmer and the board of directors. Don ordered the new Bungie Halo game to be cut from the E3 briefing at the last moment and essentially gag ordered Bungie from showing the game off that week. Don didn't want a non-Microsoft studio game to overshadow all of the Microsoft Studio developed games. He then went on to make a little quip about having an E3 breifing that was not all about Halo. This is sort of like inviting someone to the prom and leaving them at home at the last minute while they can’t get another date.

There is no Halo themed media event that is currently on the calendar. Bungie has been working towards a big media push about this game with the unveiling of the Superintendent character and they have been trying to build a buzz within their fanbase.

Microsoft’s has never really explained why they prevented Bungie from going on with their media event on Wednesday at E3. It has to be a new Halo game since if it was an new IP Microsoft would not have their hands on the control of the brand and would not have had the power to silence Bungie about it. So soon Bungie and Microsoft will come to terms about when and how Microsoft is going to unveil this new Bungie developed Halo game and then show it to the public. As in any healthy relationship communication and honestly is the key.
Interesting. Shitty of MS to do so, though.

link
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

Man, if Bungie don't start the hype machine soon, no one will be interested in their new Halo game.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Why would they go to the trouble of separating from Microsoft just to develop another Halo game?

How separate are they anyway?
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Bungie is now a privately owned LLC company with Microsoft having a minority stake.

Don Mattrick is just trying to prove he can be as big a massive fucking tool at Microsoft as he was at EA. It's all about image here people.
Spoonfan
On an endless search for Sailors ...
On an endless search for Sailors ...
XBL ID: Segahead
PSN ID: Segahead
Steam ID: neonfrog83

Post by Spoonfan »

Been following this story as well. Very interesting, I was very shocked to see that Bungie were working on another Halo game. But are we talking about Halo 4 or something else entirely? Either way it has me excited.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

It has to be a new Halo game since if it was an new IP Microsoft would not have their hands on the control of the brand and would not have had the power to silence Bungie about it.
This bit doesn't sound right.
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

If MS are publishing it they would have control over it whether it's a new IP or not.

To me this was the part about the article that didn't make sense:
This is sort of like inviting someone to the prom and leaving them at home at the last minute while they can’t get another date.
I guess he still isn't over it.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Wait, did he say it would be the third HALO game? I can't take this article seriously.
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

like talez said Don Mattrick is fucking tool...

if it was not for halo 1 the xbox would have distant joke in everyones minds...but bungie made people pay attention to the platform that than built up the xbox and halo brand names..

utter disgrace if that article is true..
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Scullibundo wrote:Wait, did he say it would be the third HALO game? I can't take this article seriously.
Yeah, the third Halo game IN THE WORKS that isn't Peter Jackson's thing (which I hadn't even heard of :() or Halo Wars.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Pariah wrote:like talez said Don Mattrick is fucking tool...
To be fair it's not just Don Mattrick. I've found the most ex-developers cum executives turn out to be massive fucking tools.