The PSN and Update Thread

Organise online games for XBL / PSN / PC / Switch

Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Yeah I always thought that was a bit of a pain in the arse. I got around it by holding the PS button rather than just pressing it.

edit: ok now i've installed it, the big text will take some getting used to.. it kind of feels like I'm using my PSP on the TV.. that big. Well maybe not, but it's just jarring at first.

I don't know why they bothered fucking around with the friends list -_- the wall of grey can fuck right off.. that looks ugly as hell.

Also, maybe it's cause I have a Japanese PS3, but I have a feeling it's cause I've got an Aussie PSN login. The PS store symbol appears underneath video, and looks like it wants to bring up a "whats new" style thing like they've added in place of the info board.. except if you click on it it's not available in my region :lol:
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Fuck me!! I see it still hasn't got any faster to do an update....

Edit: Wooo Sparkles!!!
McSpidey
XBL ID: McSpidey
PSN ID: McSpidey
Steam ID: McSpidey

Post by McSpidey »

They've taken out the ability to leave a song playing while going back to the dash (via the playstation button). RAGE!!!! I use this all the time, even just for choosing another song.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Fuck me. Dem be some big FONTS!!
BigSwingingUdders
NOT JIZZLOBBER
XBL ID: Pre-baked
PSN ID: 40% Better

Post by BigSwingingUdders »

Big fonts can fuck off

grey bg on friends list can fuck off

dumb notification thingo can fuck off

silly store thing in the games tab can fuck off

in fact most of this "update" can fuck right off

where are the updated avatars and swanky new themes?
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Yep agree for the most part. Just doesn't look as classy as it did before.

The piano black beast, with a sexy UI has turned into a matte grey lego brick, with lego fonts.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

No MKV... Again. Seems they had a field day fucking with the slick look and not adding any useful features.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Who out of the big name manufacturers support MKV?
Professor of Grand Theft Autoligy

Post by offline »

Ben wrote:...friends list -_- the wall of grey can fuck right off.. that looks ugly as hell.
What is the deal with that? It looks "unclean" compared to the rest of the theme. Actually, I am not too thrilled with the new changes, especially (the unimportant) new PS3 logo at the start. Everything feels so cheerful and soft compared to the older streamlined look. Oh well, at least it still looks nicer than the current Xbox Dashboard.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

mech wrote:Who out of the big name manufacturers support MKV?
None.. Would it kill Sony to be the first?

I see some STB's support it as well as cheap hd media players that you plug in your own HDD to.

Sony are targeting themselves as the "does everything" for $499. So I was holding out hope they would start "doing everything".

The next milestone is their TV tuner release here but since that is in the wild elsewhere I don't spose we will get support then either..

The stupid thing is I can remux an MKV in under 1 min and then the PS3 can play it fine so clearly the embedded codecs are not an issue for the system.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I like the larger font...
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I think all of the gripes of this new firmware update could be completely avoided if the new stuff wasn't forced upon you.

If they'd chucked an option in there to turn the font size back to normal, turn off the grey backgrounds etc it'd be gravy.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

One thing I do love about this new firmware, is that if you still have your PS3 set to alter the backgrounds brightness/darkness based on what time of day it is, no longer will it be a black screen from like 6pm onwards lol.

When it gets dark it goes purpley/black now, but there's always a slightly brighter bit. I like it. Pretty petty thing to concern myself with I know lol.
McSpidey wrote:They've taken out the ability to leave a song playing while going back to the dash (via the playstation button). RAGE!!!! I use this all the time, even just for choosing another song.
Works for me? Maybe your PS button is busted?
McSpidey
XBL ID: McSpidey
PSN ID: McSpidey
Steam ID: McSpidey

Post by McSpidey »

I am using the bluetooth remote. I'll test it with a controller later, but even if that works I'm still pissed.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Friends list :sick:

The only thing I dig in this update is the ability to output audio via hdmi and optical at the same, that's really handy and means I don't need to power my amp all the time for sound.

MKV is a container format used by homebrew/pirates, I don't think any commercial format uses it as a container, so I don't expect them to ever officially support it.
mech

Post by mech »

General Chaos wrote:
None.. Would it kill Sony to be the first?

I see some STB's support it as well as cheap hd media players that you plug in your own HDD to.

Sony are targeting themselves as the "does everything" for $499. So I was holding out hope they would start "doing everything".

The next milestone is their TV tuner release here but since that is in the wild elsewhere I don't spose we will get support then either..

The stupid thing is I can remux an MKV in under 1 min and then the PS3 can play it fine so clearly the embedded codecs are not an issue for the system.
They own a movie studio. It's already a big deal they support DIVX. Now they're going to add support for MKV which is ONLY used for pirating? And no other big manufacturer supports it? Stop writing such rubbish please. Also, weird that if you search for "mkv" by General Chaos on this board, it comes up with PS3 threads but no 360 threads? Why the selective hate?
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

mech wrote:Also, weird that if you search for "mkv" by General Chaos on this board, it comes up with PS3 threads but no 360 threads? Why the selective hate?
Why would you do that unless you were on your fanboy horse? Time to chill Jill.

I don't see no hate ... just frustration.

Neither platform supports mkv which sucks balls. I would have thought mkv support in exchange for big-ass fonts was a fair trade.
mech

Post by mech »

I would do that because every time there's a new firmware update for PS3 General Chaos comes in crying about how shit Sony is for not putting in MKV support. Fanboy horse? Just sick of his biased whining.

No MKV support does suck but at least it's easy to transcode on the PS3. If you're really that keen to watch hi-def pirated movies on your TV, get an HTPC with the money you saved not buying Blu-Rays. :D
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Oh dear mech. Chanelling Talez much? ;)

Well I'd like MS to do it too. I figured the PS3 would be more likely to get it first since they release a new firmware every other week.. So every other week I ask if they have added MKV yet.

I think my asking in a PS3 thread all the time is probably due to the way both companies go about releasing FW updates and pushing the information down the line to the public.

Anyhow it's not a big deal I'm not buying a HTPC for MKV support when it takes me 1 min to re mux a file or use tversity to transcode on the fly.

PS: I generally use MKV container for random anime because that is what fansubbers use (technically pirating I guess) just like that torrent TV everyone uses ;)

*Chaos totally understands Sony is a movie studio and is protecting its business but it wont stop me holding out hope that they can add the one feature that will complete the system as the ultimate media centre (hell they added divx which is pretty much only used for pirating so they have set a precedent)
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

McSpidey wrote:I am using the bluetooth remote. I'll test it with a controller later, but even if that works I'm still pissed.
I was using the remote when I checked :)
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Samsung's current gen Plasma and LCDs do (DLNA).
mech

Post by mech »

really? link?
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

mech wrote:really? link?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska (See under TV support).

My friend also just got one and can confirm that it does play them (though apparently won't do subtitles).
mech

Post by mech »

Doesn't say anything about DLNA in there, but that's pretty cool.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

A pox on this update. A pox! Pttthhp!!!