Post by mech »

ps, I didn't get any of the jokes :(
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

they aren't funny or anything, just a little jab at demon hunter's spelling when he was on the banning spree.
it's all very much experimental, I haven't even tried a user created level so I had nothing to copy, that's what I came up with when trying out the tools and camera.
I think you can see things get slightly more creative as you go... at first it's just cactus' and rocks.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Was a good first crack at a level I thought.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Ghey, I'm shaped and can't sign in. :mad: I really want to check this Ranch level out! If I stay up until 2am I'll give it a burl.

So once you've published a level, can you edit it, or at least delete it then upload the improved version?

I was also thinking, if there's a few of us making levels perhaps we could make a larger scale "game"- think of a theme or some unifying idea, each make levels, then have a final level or perhaps boss battle that's only accessible by finishing all of the others. Just put a massive gate at the start that only opens if you apply the 5 (for example) stickers that are hidden in the other levels. Maybe chuck a character next to the gate that explains what the deal is, lists the required levels by name to make them easy to find online, and perhaps even has a sign next to them with screenshots of the places the stickers are hidden. We could implement a Mario 64-like stars approach if we wanted to take it that far, but the problem is having to put the stickers down each time you start a level. If you can edit or replace published levels we can always retrofit existing levels with the stickers too. Maybe the Ranch logo could be made into a small icon, a unique version of which is hidden in each Ranch-made level... then have a Freemasons level that requires all of the stickers and is updated when new levels are added. I don't know, I'm just talking shit.

Working with circles is a bitch BTW, they don't have to be very big before they settle on one of their many flat sides and can't be rolled by a single sackperson even if they're made of polystyrene. It sucks as I had a whole level designed around the idea on paper, and it simply doesn't work.
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

You can actually make people collect a key to unlock the next level.

Run your cirlce idea past the people in the thread at GAF.
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

Fantastic level, gamma.

Gamma's level is called Felt Castle. Play it!!
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

Awesome work Gamma. I forgot what I was doing a couple times but your little clues were helpful (the painted bits plus the score bubbles to indicate where to go). The changes you made since the last time I played it finish it all off nicely too, especially the end which took my old noggin' a couple scratches.

Well done.
lambchop
The Pain

Post by lambchop »

i'll have to get on and play some levels with you guys.

how are your pods looking? mines a jungle :)
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Is this you Gamma?
Little Big Planet and a capped data plan

(if not, you should probably read it)

So LBP stores undo/redo information online when connected and editing levels, and this is enough data to start killing quotas. Bizarre. I think I'll make sure I'm disconnected from the network when editing levels in the future.

:shock:
mech

Post by mech »

Holy crap Gamma, you are an evil, evil genius. That level was damn tough but I was stoked when I got through it in the end.. how come I only got 149 compared to everyone's 150s? :(
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

Because you're not as good as us?
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Did you manage to squish yourself at all? I think dying takes away points, but other than that I can't think of anything.
mech

Post by mech »

Oh, yeah, I died.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Were you squished or did you have to kill yourself after getting stuck? I only know of one spot where you can get stuck (the L shaped block on the ground to the right, aka triangle prison). AFAIK you can't be actively killed. I haven't thoroughly tested trying to crush myself into the wall with the last block, but I don't think you can get it moving fast enough.

It sounds like I managed to get the difficulty right though, obviously the intention was to make it challenging but it's good to hear people aren't getting frustrated and giving up. It's impossible to judge yourself when you've played through it a million times. Glad people are liking it, thanks to anyone who hearted the level and those that playtested and gave suggestions along the way. I'm working on some other ideas at the moment.

Twit: No that's not me, but it would explain how I got shaped so soon last month. 30Gb in a few days sounds completely ridiculous though, surely there's another explanation. Annoying if true.
mech

Post by mech »

I was squished.

I would have given up if Corey and Twit hadn't gotten through it :D
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

:laugh:
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

ahah, I think I would have been more stuck if I hadn't played someones Gladiator style level, where you need to swing/grip along a platform that's where I picked up upon the need for that.
I enjoyed the level though, it felt like a playable version of those lateral thinking puzzles, can be frustrating when you're trying to suss it out but once you've done so it's like "oooohhh" and then you feel chuffed.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

mech wrote:I was squished.

I would have given up if Corey and Twit hadn't gotten through it :D
I was comically inept on my first attempt, but fortunately Gamma was there to slap me around and show me what to do. I found it initially confusing because it's so different to most other levels where you just go from here to there, but once I got the general vibe of the place it all clicked. You've got to get inside this varmit's pelt and crawl around for a while. You've got to think like a Gamma, act like a Gamma, and whenever possible, to look like one...

My only remaining problem then was unco jumping skills.

You should play it again mech and get the 150 (it might help to have it show up on the cool levels thing if it's been played lots). I've done it a few times now. Unfortunately it makes me realise how utterly stupid, crap, pointless and dull my first level is going to be...

I think I've resigned myself to that. My main problem is that I spend forever trying to do something interesting, find it difficult and infuriating, then give up and make everything out of big boring blocks. Plus I find that, even though I have a general theme in mind, I'm still making shit up as I go...which probably isn't a good way to do stuff. And then the whole thing is a mess because I've fiddled with it so much. I think I'll just spit it out once it vaguely resembles something like a level and try to put what I've learned from this towards a better second effort.

Everyone who has this game should make at least one level, just to give something back to...well, to me.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Hmmm...if you haven't already come across it, sackbook seems like a funky LBP resource for when you're at work and really should be doing something more productive.
lambchop
The Pain

Post by lambchop »

this game is a blash co-op ..great if yr stuck ona level too ...can hop online and get help over bits u mite strugle with. fark i was stuck at that wheel bit in the bunker ... then some ninja popped into my game and sweet lol. am i near the end??
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Well...my level is nearing completion and could probably use a test soon if anyone has some spare time.

It is, as I keep saying, utter garbage. Simple too. And boring. But hey, it's a level with a start and a finish and a few things to do in between, so...can't complain too much eh. Unless you get stuck or something. Which is a possibility because nobody has played it other than me so far.

So anyway, let me know if you're up for a burl...
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Okay fuckit, it's published. Look for either KAKwit, or the level name - Morning After.

There's not much challenge in getting to the end. Harder if you go for all the score bubbles (which also involves some dragging around a bear for a bit...). It's more adventure than puzzle or hard platforming.

Anyway, let me know what you think.
marto
Top Bloke

Post by marto »

Will check it out right now. My first level is almost done too - beta testing as we speak, alot can go wrong.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Cool. I tried to test mine out with Gamma but the lag was atrocious (hence publishing it). Could be a bit borked - dunno.