Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

iiNet: Xbox LIVE now quota free

Post by Twit »

I like being with iiNet. They're a little expensive but the service is great and they occasionally up and do shit for you. Now they've made Xbox LIVE part of their freezone, so it doesn't count towards your useage quota.
It's a good year to be an online gamer. We've had some huge releases (check out this month's bumper games review) and now thanks to our special deal with Xbox 360, we're offering unmetered Xbox LIVE content to all iiNet broadband customers. This means you can download demos, get that new Aerosmith pack for Guitar Hero and make sure your console software is up to date, all without worrying about quota limits.
So if you're with iiNet then you may as well start downloading everything. It would be nice if they did the same thing for PSN, but that seems unlikely given that Sony are part of the group suing them.

http://iinet.net.au/about/news/news_1108.html#news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Wonder what the repercussions of them being sued will be for their customers....
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Yeah, fucking AFACT. If Optus and Telstra are smart they would chuck some money into a legal fund to help iiNet fight it, because you know they'll be next if this sets a precedent. Unfortunately I don't think Telstra is at all smart. Maybe the EFF could help 'em out. I love the way AFACT goes about it, targeting a mid range ISP - big enough to make waves but small enough to be drained by fighting a long drawn out legal battle. Cunts.
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

awesome..use to be with iinet before i switched to internode...i wish them the best in their court case..
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I'm with iinet. They've been the best IP I've been with so far.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

This should have been front page news. That is awesome honestly.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

I was considering going with iiNet recently with one of their naked DSL plans - though if I was I would wait till this court dispute is settled.

I'd probably be better off though keeping my landline and going with TPG. That way my phone service is virtually guaranteed to work (with iiNet VOIP there is no guarantee). I'm currently on cable which I'm happy with the quality and speed and inparticular the reliability, just find that my quota of 7000 MB peak 14000 MB off-peak is sometimes not enough. I am inside the area that should get kick-arse ADSL 2+ speeds, so that's a nice carrot to dangle on top of the increased d/l limits. I'm put off though by the uploads being included in many ADSL plans.

iiNet does have some awesome features though - firstly streaming of EPL games, and secondly this Xbox stuff. The EPL stuff whilst great does not impact me as I have Foxtel and would much rather watch on TV than in poor quality streaming. The Xbox stuff would be awesome for just basically downloading all sorts of demos etc. BUT I only have a 20 GB drive and with a couple of games on it, it's completely chockers anyway.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

iinet has streaming EPL?? OOOH Couldn't be much worse quality than Foxtel..
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

:lol: thats what i was thinking.

I've got the NBA League Pass through NBA.com, it's only 4:3 but the quality shits over foxtel (ESPN HD excluded obviously)
Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

General Chaos wrote:iinet has streaming EPL?? OOOH Couldn't be much worse quality than Foxtel..
not if you have HD...... :P
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

HD EPL is awesome.

The regular Fox Sports EPL is also not too bad, definately better than any streaming matches that I have watched before (by a country mile). Though going from watching a HD match to a non-hd one is pretty painful.
Blotto
Man Fairy
XBL ID: Blotto Otto
PSN ID: Blotts
Steam ID: Blotto_Otto

Post by Blotto »

if you want a horrible picture try Setanta...

shocking..
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

worse than ESPN's PAL -> NTSC -> PAL football?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Twit wrote:Yeah, fucking AFACT. If Optus and Telstra are smart they would chuck some money into a legal fund to help iiNet fight it, because you know they'll be next if this sets a precedent. Unfortunately I don't think Telstra is at all smart. Maybe the EFF could help 'em out. I love the way AFACT goes about it, targeting a mid range ISP - big enough to make waves but small enough to be drained by fighting a long drawn out legal battle. Cunts.
Actually, if the Judge is smart (and they generally are in Australia - more so than stateside, anyway), he'll throw the case out, because iiNet have been following due procedure with the infringement notices by passing them on to the police... who then contact AFACT, who then don't want to talk to them.

Bigpond on the other hand, don't do anything with the notices, and would be a more logical choice of defendant, but they probably have way better legal funding than the AFACT could cope with, and they're probably hoping to set a precedent against a smaller ISP.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I hope you're right unfnk. The following article left me with the impression that iiNet my be fuckered:
http://apcmag.com/why_iinet_will_probab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... awsuit.htm
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

eeeep :(
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

The solution is simple. Flood ISPs with copyright infringement notices and see how quickly these lemmings are to follow when their connections are disconnected arbitrarily.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Twit wrote:Yeah, fucking AFACT. If Optus and Telstra are smart they would chuck some money into a legal fund to help iiNet fight it, because you know they'll be next if this sets a precedent. Unfortunately I don't think Telstra is at all smart. Maybe the EFF could help 'em out. I love the way AFACT goes about it, targeting a mid range ISP - big enough to make waves but small enough to be drained by fighting a long drawn out legal battle. Cunts.
The internet allows us to talk about all television and film as soon as it's released anywhere in the world. What that means by extension is that it's all spoiled for anyone who's in a territory that gets is six months later.

We could buy it, though, couldn't we? Oh, wait, we can't, because we can only play region 4 DVDs, which locks us out of paying.

Oh, but we could buy them through iTunes or similar, couldn't we? Oh, wait, content isn't available to every country at once, and when it is we're locked into watching it on a PC or through Apple TV.

File-sharing isn't popular because it's free, it's popular because it's simply the best option available. The choice is staggering, and most content is available immediately it airs in one country.

The industry could replicate this availability very easily, and with better quality of product and service. It could charge a monthly subscription for a set number of hours of content. It could make loads and loads of money out of such a system because of its natural superiority, and because it squarely meets consumer demand.

But the industry knows best. Its answer is to do the following:

1. Region-code hard content so consumers are forced to wait an arbitrary amount of time for it
2. Withhold downloadable content so consumers are forced to wait an arbitrary amount of time for it
3. Slap DRM all over everything so it doesn't work in most situations
4. Expect consumers to fall in line

In amongst all this suing I'm surprised someone with significant clout hasn't stood up and demanded the industry do its utmost to respond to the 21st century, instead of following the clinically insane and fatalistic path of trying to force the entire planet to comply with its archaic demands.

Fucking idiots.
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Oh, and I heart iiNet too.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Blotto wrote:
General Chaos wrote:iinet has streaming EPL?? OOOH Couldn't be much worse quality than Foxtel..
not if you have HD...... :P
Get Fucked! Send me a Foxtel decoder then... :(
MCWrang
XBL ID: MCWrang
Steam ID: MCWrang

Post by MCWrang »

I had a good chat with the actor from the iinet ads tonight. so bizarre coz he acts exactly like he does in the ads in real life.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'll never forgive iiNet for transitioning me onto one of their own DSLAMs without asking me, thus making me pay $130 to change ISP instead of the fast churn thing :mad:
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

File-sharing isn't popular because it's free, it's popular because it's simply the best option available. The choice is staggering, and most content is available immediately it airs in one country.
I've noticed nobody watches tv anymore. Too many ads, it's censored, the shows get cancellled or timeslot changes around too many times causing you to miss eps leading to frustration.

Internet killed tv, the way tv killed radio. I've been able to watch some good anime tv series close to when it showed and talk about the eps with others online who watch it at the same time.

I've found that you feel left out knowing everywhere you look there is a spoiler in each post and now you've got to purposely avoid talking to those people if they are multiple eps ahead of you.

"Oh you didn't know that dude already died in a fatal accident in last weeks episode and the direction of the show has changed into a revenge story already? And you didn't see the cliffhanger in the other ep where the bomb was planted in the room but failed to go off because the first episode of the next season showed how it was triggered too late because there was a fire in another part of the building causing everyone to be evacuated due to the cook causing a kitchen fire because he went to work half drunk that day? Sorry buddy we are about 10 eps ahead of you! Sucks that your country is so fucked up, poor little bastard. So many cool things happened. Would have put spoiler tags but I thought everyone talked about that 5 weeks ago already.." :D

We are going to go back to the old days of physically having to meet people in order to get the eps early. Primitive times ahead.
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Yep.

The obvious solution is to give people what they want and make squillions in the process.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

id be all over this but iinet count uploads :(

and internode is too cheap to buy the hardware :(