Gamertag and live account sign up question

Organise online games for XBL / PSN / PC / Switch

Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

Ekin

Gamertag and live account sign up question

Post by Ekin »

I cant get on live yet so i've created an offline gamertag called Smint through my Xbox and that account has all my achievements and save games so far.

Now i've been told to go to the xbox website and create my gamertag there which i've done but Smint is taken so i have to use another nick.

Question is what happens to Smint and my new tag? Do they sync with each other when i finally do get live?
Pimpn Drop Bear
No distinct personality

Post by Pimpn Drop Bear »

nope. as far as I know there's no happy ending, you'll need to start a new tag on live and go from there.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I'd just wait until you can connect your 360 up to the internet and create your gamertag from the 360 rather than from the xbox website. That way when it tells you that Smint is already taken as a gamertag it'll merely prompt you to change it to something that isn't already taken, and when you find one that's free your offline account will become your online account and everything should be good.

There's probably a way to do it in which you sign up for a tag from the xbox website and then maybe recovering your tag later, but I think it'd just confuse the process and would just be easier to do it the aforementioned way :) Unless someone knows otherwise?
Ekin

Post by Ekin »

Hmm ok so i can just reserve a a tag now by creating a tag via the website. Then when i do get on live i can delete that tag and then when prompted rename smint to the new tag that was just deleted....if you get what i mean?
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I dont think it works that way. Even if you delete the tag the name is still in the database as one that is used. I still cant change my tag to my original t0mbst0ne NZ one I had when that was set up on one of those old school 11 month Aussie subs from 2003.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Ekin wrote:Hmm ok so i can just reserve a a tag now by creating a tag via the website. Then when i do get on live i can delete that tag and then when prompted rename smint to the new tag that was just deleted....if you get what i mean?
Ah you want to reserve it now? I'm not sure if you can do it that way. What I meant is just keep playing on your offline account (ie don't bother registering anything via the PC) and when you're finally ready to connect your 360 up to the net you'll be told smint is taken and to pick another tag, when you find one that's free your offline account will change to an online one with that tag. I don't think you can register a tag on the PC and merge it with your offline account later though..
Ekin

Post by Ekin »

Ah ok well that sucks then :( There should be a warning about these things lol
kwijibo

Post by kwijibo »

Do it on your xbox. I did mine on a PC years ago and forgot about it until I recently got an xbox.

Wouldn't let me have my 1 month free gold trial because it was an existing account.. bastards!

My g/f made hers on the xbox and then later joined live, and it joined em up and gave her a gold trial.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

kwijibo wrote:Do it on your xbox. I did mine on a PC years ago and forgot about it until I recently got an xbox.

Wouldn't let me have my 1 month free gold trial because it was an existing account.. bastards!

My g/f made hers on the xbox and then later joined live, and it joined em up and gave her a gold trial.
Yeah I had the same problem back in the day, wanted to sort everything out early so did on PC then they wouldn't give me a free month when I got my 360. Oh well.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
ebe
XBL ID: ebeonline
Steam ID: ebe

Post by ebe »

Same happened to me. Created via website years ago, no free month when I got the xbox :(

I also had a prob with my brother's profile when he got his xbox for xmas. He had a profile on my machine from when I took it home a couple times. Just savefiles and stuff. But he had since created a Live account to play Fallout 3 on PC.

We copied the xbox profile over on a memory card and tried to sign up to XBox Live, but when he put in his details it found his existing Live account and created a new profile on his xbox with the same name :/

A few savefiles isn't a major loss, but it still would have been nice to have the chance to sync up the profiles. Or is there a way to do this I'm not aware of?

EDIT: Helps if I read the thread before posting :lol: