Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Midnight Club LA

Post by Shaneus »

Anyone pick this up on the cheap and feel like a cruise around the city of angels? It could be shithouse online, but I'm willing to give it a crack!
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I hear it's one of those Rockstar games. I'm a bit wary of them at the moment. They'll get my cash next month with GTA4 DLC though.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

How does it go Shaneus? I'm busy currently with Fallout 3, so haven't had a chance to play it.
Dj Flextacy
Mr 60FPS
XBL ID: flextacy
PSN ID: flextacy

Post by Dj Flextacy »

I think it's awesome, the city seems so alive, and i love the camera angles when you do burnouts etc .. it sometimes drops frames when alot is happening on screen, but in general its one of my fave racing games, and definitely shits all over any of Ea's efforts.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

It's fucking awesome. It's one of the few open-world driving games where a random car in traffic will appear out of nowhere to fuck up a good race. It's always clear where you need to go to get to the next checkpoint and traffic is always clearly visible. You can retry a race if you like, go straight to the garage from the start menu and customise your car.

It has all the features/options that I felt were missing in Burnout Paradise.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

Yeah I played this and every moment I was playing it I wished I was playing Burnout. Returned this and picked up Burnout for $30..... not that midnight club is bad I just think Burnout is a much better overall package.
2nd place is the first loser....

Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

As you can see above, I was exactly the opposite :P
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Ohhhhh shit yeah
Since its release the game has had a single update and another planned. The first update released in December 2008 included improved AI balance to better adjust to players skill level and the Xbox 360 got additional leaderboard support for tournaments on Rockstar Social Club.[16] The next scheduled update entitled the South Central Upgrade And Content Pack will include a whole new area of the map, about 1/3 the size of the current map, for free. Players will also be able to purchase the pack which will include new character competitions, races, cars and music available in a single complete package. New vehicles will include various cars and SUVs along with another motorcycle. A price and release date have yet to be released however it is expected for early 2009.
PS Seeing as we don't have an official MCLA thread, do we wanna move this to General?
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I rate this game. Paradise is a great game with amazing racing, but there is something about the traffic and police chases that maks me enjoy MCLA more. Having the police chases when roaming either from speeding or reckless driving is one thing, but then having the cops come out mid race and chase one of the other competitors and then you racing past on nos is another kettle of fush. Love the chatter too 'There is no way this car is stock!' 20+ cars on the freeway at one time as opposed to Paradises effort. Currently around 30% completed since Sat but I've been thrashing it.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Tournament Registration is now open for 2 more days open for world wide entrants.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/tournamentsinfo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Still haven't taken the plastic off mine.... :lol:

Want to finish Fallout 3 first so I can spend some time with this.

That said I also have Burnout Paradise, and have done basically nothing in that (I put it on so my sort-of-nephew could play over Christmas I think).
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Probably be too late for you then BigK since you would need a fast car to hone your skills and time on said track.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Probably too late for me too... I still have shit cars :lol: Do have a decent bike, though!
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Bikes are faster than cars Shaneus, I'l be trying both soon and seeing what sort of score I can get before the trails start. I doubt I'll come anywhere decent but then on the other hand it doesn't seem like many people play this. The online is definitely dead sadly.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Yeah, I just read the conditions and saw it was Class C cars anyway. Can't remember if I have any of those or not...
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

You can make any of the early cars Class C by adding bits too it. Sometimes just one mod too many puts it into Class B so you remove something like te Performance clutch etc.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Just did a 3:04.01 in a manual transmission and a 3:07 something in an auto. Apparently autos only in the tourny due to a speed boost glitch off the line in manuals.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

What are the bikes like? Do they react likes bikes or are they like the god awful swoops out of Burnout Paradise?
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

played this last night

fucking awesome fun, it better not get boring or too hard though because i have too many games to play
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I've only recently found it boring but I only have a few tournys/races left to do now, think I'm about 85% through the game or thereabouts.

How awesome is the city life! Sooo busy.

The online CTF is a laugh fest when you get a few people in it what with all the weapons like turning oponents cars into blocks of ice or being chased with the flag and turning invisible for a second and then slamming on the brakes and appearing behind them. Great fun, shame it doesn't have much of a community.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

I think I'm wanting this now for some reason. Not sure why, but I'm in the mood for this sort of game at the moment.

A couple questions - I heard it could be brutally difficult but they addressed that with a patch. So is it okay in terms of difficulty now? Is it one of those games that suffers on the PS3 or is it okay? Finally, can you please tell me whether or not I want this and if I do then could you please pick it up for me and leave it on my desk at work so I can play it tonight?

Edit - you guys didn't get back to me quick enough so I had to go and buy it.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

:lol:

no idea about the ps3 version. 360 one seems fine in terms of difficulty so far for me, but tomby would be a better judge
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

This is pretty fun so far, but I'm stuck in my first car due to fines from police chases. I'll do a few little races to get some cash, then during a race some cops will chase me and then I spend 10 minutes trying to evade them before I'm fined more than what I've won. Only manage to evade them once so far. What's the best tactic with them? Balls out on freeways or try to mess 'em up with lots of turns?

Anyway, the dynamic lighting is nice and it has some good arcade mayhem driving. It's fun, I just wish I could raise some more cash and buy more shit. I've upgraded my first one a bit but it's still too crap to progress much at the moment.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Just keep racing. Listen to the cops chatter when they start pursuing as they will tell you which car they are after, usually its one behind you unless you are at the back of the pack. If the cops are still chasing after the race ends then you can't return to cruise mode, you'll have to evade the cops.

In terms of making cash, bring up your GPS (Back button) and look for the green icons. They are the easiet races. The ones that are flashing with an exclamation mark are ones that are in the mission list. Press Y while in GPS mode to bring up the missions available and press A on the one you want to enter. The actual GPS/Satnav is shite an you'll just have to head in the general dirction.

As for difficuty, yeah, the complaints in he reviews were fixed in a patch which came out in December. The game does get hard but a bit later on. Usually the Red and Orange icon races step it up a bit. There are a few DUB tournys later that specify you must race in Hard mode, but they are few and far between.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I think perhaps my problem was trying to evade the cops NFS style? I thought I'd just get far enough ahead of them that they'd drop off and give up, but they didn't seem to do that. My only success so far was when I went into the hills and heard they'd lost sight of me (even though they were still close) so I slipped up a little alley and hid. I could see them cruising around both sides of the alley but they didn't see me.

So is that the best method? Make lots of turns then try to find somewhere to hide?

I also had a stupid one where I was cruising to another event (just after the cop chase mentioned above). I heard some police in the area so I slowed down and tried to be good. Then I accidentally went slowly through a red light and got pulled over anyway. That one was only 100 bucks though. The 10 minute chase cost me over a grand I think.

Anyway, yeah - good first impressions. Heaps fun and nice looking. Will play some more tonight.