Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

The Maw

Post by GreyWizzard »

someone tell me what this game is all about. I had a quick read in the sidebar on live and it sounds okay, but someone give me the rundown.
Kaji
Cowboy Unit Number Ten
XBL ID: Kaji AU
PSN ID: Kaji_AU

Post by Kaji »

The pinnacle of alien evolution, Maw is a cowardly fat blob concerned mostly with snacking and lounging. He can, however, absorb the traits of anything he eats, is virtually indestructible, and can grow to unlimited size. If he wasn't a danger to all life in the universe, he'd make the perfect pet. In this action/adventure game, he's the best friend of our hero Frank, and only by working together can Maw eat their way to freedom. The Maw was honored with the Audience Choice Award in the 2008 PAX-10 showcase of independent games, and is a finalist at this year's Independent Games Festival for Technical Excellence.

http://www.mawgame.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I watched the video on the site, It gave me a feeling of "meh" with a side of :suicide:

:P
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

wtf, are you too busy to play the demo?
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Kaji wrote: It gave me a feeling of "meh"
Yup. Meh. I got it. If I could go around again, I probably wouldn't.

It's ok. Nothing amazing. Try the demo and see how you go. I don't know where the demo ends. It's standard platform/puzzle fare really with a bit of charm. I read someone say it has an element of Feeding Frenzy and Katamari in it, and I'd agree. I'd toss in a little bit of Pikmin aswell.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

It gets a meh from me too. I played through the demo, which was quite short, and found it boring.

Pass.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

How big is the maw in the demo?

I bought the game... it's a pretty basic platformer, what with no deaths it seems. It's all jumping and puzzle solving. Kinda like PoP but with out the massive production values. I've heard the game is pretty short, and to be honest, these days that is a selling point for me. Graphics are very good for a 150MB download. It doesn't have that plasticy look of other arcade titles. Music is pretty cool too. Kinda jazzy funky numbers.

I've played the first two leves, kinda easy, but it is a fun platformer. Nothing world changing, but it does it all right. Ticks the boxes I suppose.

It's like a 6 in real world scores, meaning better than average. Not 6 as in current standards, which really means a 4, below average. When did 6 become below average?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Completed it, hugged an eye and destroyed the universe.

It's a great little platform, adventure, puzzle game. For some though it is going to be a bit short.

On the up side, for me, it looks better than most of the live arcade titles, the music is awesome, sounds kinda like Danny Elfman, it's a very nice price.

I'll up the score given. 7.5
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Finished it today too, and absolutely loved it. It was the perfect length (for me) and considering how much the equivalent price buys you nowdays (Maccas meal, movie rental etc.) then it was well worth the cost.

And like I've said before, MS need to do as much shit possible to make The Maw their kiddy/family console mascot... moreso than Viva Pinata.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Shaneus wrote:Finished it today too
t0mby is speechless
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity