Minecraft - 24/7

Organise online games for XBL / PSN / PC / Switch

Moderators: General Chaos, Candy Arse, jizzlobber

Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Minecraft - 24/7

Post by Hercy »

Instead of bumping the Minecraft thread in the games forum, I figured I'd start one here.

Cletus and I have been playing sporadically on our own server (ie my computer) over the past month or so. We've built a modest castle wall around a couple of houses, gone cave exploring, and mined for diamonds. We have no rules or expectations of what to do, so if you want to build a house, live in a cave, level off a mountain and put it in a box, or create a giant monument that blocks out the sun then you can.

We'll be playing tonight around 8:30 to 9ish. We'll be using our X360 for party voice chat so it'd be great if you could also use that, but we can use the in-game text chat if you don't.

So if you want to join in, hop on XB Live tonight or post in this thread and I'll PM you the IP to connect to once I've set up the server session.
Last edited by Hercy on 07 Jun 2014 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: Minecraft

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Clearing areas. That's what I do in Minecraft.

Why not use Skype?
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

Yeah I dug a massive strip-mine when I played last. Got to the bed rock and thought: Why did I do this? What day is it? WHO AM I??!?!?! Haven't played since.

Can't play tonight, maybe another time though. Maybe.
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Twiztid Elf wrote:Why not use Skype?
Because that would be effort. If we get some people who want to play but don't have XBL subscriptions then I suppose we will use Skype or something.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I'm just about to eat food. Then I'll be ready to "play". I have a skype account if needed. Live is easier though.
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Server is up...
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

how on earth is using your xbox to chat whilst on a PC easier than calling someone on skype?
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Hercy doesn't have a headset for his PC at this very moment. Everyone here has LIVE.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

fairy nuts
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

If it will make people happy, I'll go and buy a USB headset tomorrow. Even if it makes people furious with rage, I'll still do it.

So here's some screenshots of our crappy creations:

My house on the right, Mister Gun's on the left:

Some sort of excavation with tunnels and rooms near the spawn area:

Space we've yet to build on or build a proper wall around yet. And a castle tower in the background:
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

hey hercy, maybe you could get yourself a no-ip account so we can connect whenever you've got the server up?
ebe
XBL ID: ebeonline
Steam ID: ebe

Post by ebe »

Friend of mine finally picked up Minecraft this week and I've started playing on his machine. Currently working on one of those giant underwater glass lairs.

Things that I have learned:
- giant glass buildings take way more glass than you think
- smelting multiple stacks of glass is boring as shit
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yes, as you can see in the above shots I too decided to build a house of glass. Luckily Hercy pointed out to me that you can toss sand in the furnace and walk off and do other things while it smelts. You don't have to stand at the furnace while it converts to glass.

An underwater glass house you say? I was thinking of building a giant glass bridge to the mountain over the sea in the distance but now I might rethink that and start on an underwater extension to the GR compound.
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I now have a PC headset and have installed Skype so you can all stop whinging about that and start whinging about my dynamic IP.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I take it you don't want the headset I have that pinches your ears until they bleed a bit?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Cletus wrote:? I was thinking of building a giant glass bridge to the mountain over the sea in the distance but now I might rethink that and start on an underwater extension to the GR compound.

hahaha, it's harder than it sounds. I have an underwater glass section to one of my lairs. It looks sweet, but you have to plan well ahead. First, place dirt in solid chunks where you want your building/s, then place glass all around the exposed surface. Then mine out said dirt.

They look sweeeeeet when done right :thumbsup:
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Burnzoire wrote:hey hercy, maybe you could get yourself a no-ip account so we can connect whenever you've got the server up?
OK then, I will. In fact I should be talking in the past tense because I have. You should be able to log on to my server by using hercy.no-ip.org (when it's up, which it's not at the moment).

Rather than having sporadic times that the server is up, from now on I'll have it running every Tuesday and Thursday night between 7pm and 11pm EST. If you think that you potentially might join a session one day, post your Minecraft username here so that I can add you to the white list and ops list otherwise you won't be able to connect.

BTW Cletus and I haven't played this since my last post in this thread so everything still looks the same.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

That is an excellent idea. Could this be incorporated into the thread title to serve as a reminder? I'd definitely benefit from it.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: Minecraft - every Tuesday and Thursday

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Fuck yes. My Minecraft username is unfnknblvbl
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Hercy wrote:
Burnzoire wrote:hey hercy, maybe you could get yourself a no-ip account so we can connect whenever you've got the server up?
OK then, I will. In fact I should be talking in the past tense because I have. You should be able to log on to my server by using hercy.no-ip.org (when it's up, which it's not at the moment).

Rather than having sporadic times that the server is up, from now on I'll have it running every Tuesday and Thursday night between 7pm and 11pm EST. If you think that you potentially might join a session one day, post your Minecraft username here so that I can add you to the white list and ops list otherwise you won't be able to connect.

BTW Cletus and I haven't played this since my last post in this thread so everything still looks the same.
Nice one, I'll give it a shot on tuesday. Oh and my username is........ burnzoire :nana:
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

For anyone thinking of joining in tonight, here's a few pointers:

It would be appreciated if you didn't blow up other people's stuff with TNT.

You're welcome to build within the walled compound, or extend the compound, or to go out and build whatever you want wherever the hell you'd like.

In a chest through a doorway near the spawn area, there's a starter pack with some wood, iron, and coal to get you started. There's also a community chest with various stuff that anyone can take and use. The general rule is that you have your own chests inside your own house if you want to keep collected items for your own use, but I'm generally happy to share if there's something someone wants.

In the underground tunnels near my and Mister Gun's homes, there's a signposted diamond mine where you can easily access the deep 'diamond layer' and try your luck. Continue the existing dig pattern if you want to mine efficiently (it's basically a straight tunnel with perpendicular tunnels every 4 blocks coming off one side).
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Burnzoire came online tonight and started building an underground lair.

I did a bit more of the Great Wall of Rancheria:

You can walk along top of it as well as inside of it. On the outside it has a horizontal 'groove' to make it spider-proof (I hope. It seems to work).

I think I might have to tear down that mountain on the left or build the wall around it to make the compound more square shaped instead of the current L.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Plenty of room to build inside the compound for anyone joining in. But you're free to build or excavate outside of the compound too. Plenty of mountains there for Elf to rid us of.

The wall is a sight to behold.

Can't believe I burned to death in a mine tonight.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Yeah I was having issues with my NIC failing after so many minutes. Seems to be only when I run minecraft. Couldn't be arsed troubleshooting it lastnight but I'll try fix it before thurs so I can finish my lair of awesome.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ly_4898200

This seems to be a fix for the problem i've had with disconnects. It affects heaps of people but notch still hasn't addressed it himself! Any chance you could try that on thurs? I think we both have to run it to avoid the tcp packet spamming that minecraft usually does.