Netflix in oz

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Re: Netflix in oz

Post by Rorschach »

Tried this last night, works great. A bit fiddly but can cast straight from PC once I decide on something
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

lestat wrote:Apparently your AU netflix account works on the US version and worldwide, all you need to do is use a DNS spoofing service like Getflix and log into the US site with your AU login.
That's always been the case

PC browser stream isn't as good as the dedicated player streams, Silverlight sucks
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Signed up for both Netflix and Steve :lol: . Gotta say both deliver on selections. But Netflix wins out cause they have console/TV apps and is bandwidth free. Only option I have with Stan without forking out cash is watching it on my tablet.

Really hope Netflix picks up The Xfiles, one series I wanna watch again.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

X-Files is on Netflix US
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

guttermouth wrote:Signed up for both Netflix and Steve :lol: . Gotta say both deliver on selections. But Netflix wins out cause they have console/TV apps and is bandwidth free. Only option I have with Stan without forking out cash is watching it on my tablet.

Really hope Netflix picks up The Xfiles, one series I wanna watch again.
+1

Was looking at getting the box set at JB but stuff paying $100 plus for it. Telstra upgraded my account for free so now rocking 500 gigs a month, no worries about streaming :up:
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Noticed that both Netflix and Stan have added plenty of tv shows/movies/doco's in past few days. Library is really starting to become diverse. Plenty on my list to watch on both services, including Start Trek original series and next gen on Stan!
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Now that Netflix is out in Australia the Netflix app popped up on my samsung TV. Seems to be limited to 480 SD though. Xbox and PS4 still seem to be the best way (and best quality) to use the service. Have no problems with HD on the console apps even with my 6Mbit connection.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

What usually happens on my ps4 is , it starts in SD then it will change to a higher resolution like 1080p after a minute or so of streaming. Try watching the stream for a few minutes and see if the resolution improves.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

That happens on every device I've tried, seems to be default behavior of the player to only bump up to HD once it assess you've got BW to handle it.

Tried Hola out on PC, works great I can see the full US Netflix store and stream stuff in HD fine.
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

I watched multiple episodes of American Dad using the Samsung TV Netflix app and it never went above 480 SD. Can't find anything to say it's limited to SD either. Very Strange.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

lestat wrote:That happens on every device I've tried, seems to be default behavior of the player to only bump up to HD once it assess you've got BW to handle it.

Tried Hola out on PC, works great I can see the full US Netflix store and stream stuff in HD fine.

So you can sign in to US Netflix with your AUS account using a VPN, or have I got that wrong? If so, is it still unmetered?
Mavy wrote:I watched multiple episodes of American Dad using the Samsung TV Netflix app and it never went above 480 SD. Can't find anything to say it's limited to SD either. Very Strange.
Maybe it's limited to to SD then. You could try going into playback settings on Netflix.com.au, and change it from auto to high.

I also tried it on WD Live TV, but there is no way that I'll be using it because the interface is slow and sluggish.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Mavy wrote:I watched multiple episodes of American Dad using the Samsung TV Netflix app and it never went above 480 SD. Can't find anything to say it's limited to SD either. Very Strange.
Wireless or wired? When I was on 14mb ADSL2 I could barely get 720p on wifi but could easily get 1080p wired after 30 seconds or so

Now I'm on wired cable it hits 1080 pretty quickly.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Silly question but how old were the eps?

Show didn't start broadcasting in HD till 2010.
480i (4:3 SDTV) (2005–09)
720p (16:9 HDTV) (2010–present)
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

Eps were from the last season or two. Also tried a bit of how to train your dragon 2. Looked ugly.

Connection is wired but to a wireless access point. Xbox one and ps4 are direct wireless. Both of those have no trouble with HD.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Hmmm, could be fragrant user error. ;)
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

What plan did you purchase, basic plan is only SD. Worth asking...
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I've had no problem with streaming HD simultaneously in both Home Theatre (via Windows 8 app on HTPC, it works a lot better than the Kodi add-on) and in family room (via WD TV Live, my wife is watching Pretty Little Liars in there as I type). I love how it remembers what I'm watching and where I'm up to across multiple devices (also tested it out on my phone and tablet just to see if I could). The WD Live app is a bit clunkier than others but I wouldn't go this far:
flipswitch wrote:I also tried it on WD Live TV, but there is no way that I'll be using it because the interface is slow and sluggish.
Except when typing in email address/password during setup. That was horrible, but it is with a remote control so...

Everything is connected via wired Ethernet (pretty much every room in the house has a built-in port :wink: ) and we do have a 25/5 NBN connection. Thanks Kevin07 :aussie:

I am amazed at how well it runs. Sometimes when I watch YouTube or IGN videos in 720p it stops and starts several times while streaming despite internet connection. Netflix has been as smooth as butter!
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Every person I know seems to be getting onboard the Netflix train, the word of mouth is strong and the pricing is great. I can see this really shaking things up.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

How often do they add new content?
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Just watched the arj barker stand up act on there, was in tears... That guy cracks me up, and it has just a 1 star rating? Wtf?

Anyway, streamed without issue, nice interface, wife is impressed... So all positive here!!
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

I love how much Arj Barker loves Aussies. We saw his show here (at a venue where the first ever Pong machine was installed!) and he just constantly mentioned Aussies/Australia during his gig and then called us out afterward hearing our accents.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Yeah he's done a lot of performances here, seems popular and I guess the love is reciprocal.

Heads up, Getflix are doing a 40% off over Easter on their subs, you can use their DNS service to access the US netflix site with your AU account. Code is 'EASTER40'.

I've been using Hola on a HTPC but I'm probably going to grab this sub so i can use my PS4/Xbone, since netflix via chrome doesn't support 5.1. Works out to around $30 for a 12 month sub after discount.

Also http://www.allflicks.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a handy site, they show what's new and content on all netflix regions.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

cheers for the getflix heads up lestat. I had just signed up to unlocator for a free trial but it looks like getflix does the same thing and is much cheaper. I guess I can try both and report my findings here :thumbsup:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Hey man, we got it too. Great deal for signing up too.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

:rollin: