Hi- def movies you've seen lately

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Only time will tell if District 9 is in the same league as Blade Runner. The discussion should probably be shelved for at least ten years.

I saw Invictus last night, finally. Good movie but a bit too heavy on inspirational/motivational songs happening in the background, apart from the good usage of the 95 World Cup theme song, very nice.

I would probably put it somewhere above Space Cowboys where it's not terrible by any means, but please do not mention it alongside Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River etc
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
jobbidiar
XBL ID: jobbidiar
PSN ID: jobbidiar
Steam ID: jobbidiar

Post by jobbidiar »

watched the hurt locker on blu-ray yesterday, very intense movie at times, quite enjoyable.

Oscar winning movie though? You're kidding
7.5/10
Uncharted 4 GOTY 2015 (unless it's broken like MCC)
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

A Bug's Life

It was a beautiful film on DVD, and it is just breath taking on Bluray.

Yeah the CG has dated a little, but the character models still really hold up. Hopper is one of their best looking models ever.

I was amazed at how much detail I missed viewing it on DVD, I never knew Flick had pock marks across his nose, or that the ants had lumpy flesh on their heads.

Sound quality is pure kick arse.

Great bunch of features added for the disc as well, a 10 year retrospective round table chat, the original draft animated... just a whole bunch of cool shit :)

I also love that the film doesn't go in for any cool referential humour, but just uses good old fashion funny jokes. No specific jokes for a certain part of the audience, but something every one will get.

One of my all time favourite films, great story, great characters, so pretty to look at, excellent humour, a great family film.
jobbidiar

Post by jobbidiar »

ordered Ninja Assassin on blu ray the other day since i'm sick of waiting for it to be released in oz, read a review and the transfer seems to be pretty good will give a review once i receive it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I remember seeing the trailer for that... that looked apeshit insane.

Region free?
jobbidiar

Post by jobbidiar »

GreyWizzard wrote:I remember seeing the trailer for that... that looked apeshit insane.

Region free?
yeah it's region free, it's "available" on the net if you want to watch it, after hearing from a few people how good it is, couldn't help myself and ordered it from amazon.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ninja-Ass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -ray/5171/

Was supposed to come out here the 4th march? Weird as i remember seeing posters for it ages ago and it was going to be rated R here.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Seems to be a love/hate job, I love it.

Bourne series is £17.49 at Amazon.uk too, I'd pick it up if I didn't already have the DVD boxset.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

bought couldy with a chance of meatballs
ordered toy story 1 and 2

I love my animated films in 1080p
the toy story flicks should looks pretty good for oldies
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

I can't remember if I read your impressions of Cloudy yet jizz, you seen it yet? Anyway I can't wait to rewatch Meatballs.

Might pick up Where the Wild Things Are on blu. Pre-ordered AVATAR on blu at JB-HiFi and you get the book companion free with it. If you pre-order at Big W you get the Art of Avatar book instead.
Mk2

Post by Mk2 »

I bought my first blu-rays from thehut.com the other day and will hopefully have them in a couple of weeks. I got Toy Story 1 and 2, Monsters Inc, Cars, Ratatouille and Wall-E for $110 including postage. If I can find the rest of Pixar's films (The Incredibles especially) for cheap I might try for a Pixar weekend marathon.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/BuG%20vBi.png[/img] [url=http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/xMk2x/][img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/xMk2x.png[/img][/url]
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

pixal flicks look awesome in HD!

sculli- I watched it at the cimema, maybe my fav animated movie, hilarious! :)
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Reference quality. Demo worthy. Grade-A eye candy. Whatever you want to call it, Avatar on Blu-ray is the kind of material that not only sells discs, it sells entire home theater systems. It’s a visual showpiece from start to finish, and if the big box stores start playing Avatar on their floor displays—maybe they already are—I guarantee they’ll see a spike in HDTV and Blu-ray player sales. I don’t want to gush. I’m not a gusher by nature. But put quite simply, Avatar’s 1080p/AVC-encoded transfer—framed in James Cameron’s preferred 1.78:1 aspect ratio, filling up almost the entirety of a 50 GB disc, and coasting along at an extremely high bit rate—is nothing short of superlative in nearly every objectively measurable or subjectively eye-balled category. Clarity is astounding. The texture work and resolve of the various CGI creations shows a degree of fine detail that’s unprecedented. The skin of the Na’vi is defined and has a palpable presence, keenly reflecting light and glistening with perspiration. You can even make out each bead on the high priestesses’ intricate beadwork shawl. Live action elements are just as well attributed. In establishing shots of the environment, individual blades of grass can be seen bending in the wind of a helicopter’s blades. The human actors are crisp and, with very few exceptions, blend in seamlessly with the gorgeous digital backgrounds.

Color is nothing if not eye-popping, with deep jungle greens, phosphorescent purples, bright orange bursts of fire, and, of course, the Na’vi’s Smurf blue, all contrasted against the bleak fluorescence and gunmetal grays of the human military base. Just as impressive are the deep black levels and right-on contrast, which sculpt out an image that’s frequently so dimensional that you really don’t miss the 3D. My notes while watching the film looked something like this: “This is the most vivid, immersive scene I’ve seen yet on Blu-ray.” A few minutes pass. “Wait, no, this is the most vivid, immersive scene I’ve seen.” And so on, with the film constantly one-upping itself. On the technical side of things, the encode is flawless, with no compression-related concerns whatsoever and practically zero noise. My expectations were certainly surpassed. Like it did in the theaters with 3D, Avatar has just raised the bar for home video on Blu-ray.
With all of the visually stunning landscapes to take in, it’s easy to overlook the immersion, power, and intimacy of Avatar’s soundscape, brought to Blu-ray via an exceptionally detailed DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround track. There are certainly several sonic shock and awe moments here that will rattle your ribcage, shake the walls, and wake your neighbors—massive LFE-heavy explosions, spitfire machinegunning, and metal-rending, tree-cracking crashes—but where this track really succeeds is in crafting an engaging, believable world of sound. The surround channels are almost ceaselessly active, filling out the space around you with directionally accurate ambience. Just listen to the diversity of minute sounds as the characters traipse through the jungle—strange bird calls, wind, ominous rustlings, the chatter of the Pandoran equivalent of chimps. The cross-channel effects—zipping arrows, the rush of helicopter rotors, the flapping of enormous pterodactyl-like wings—are seamless and transparent, shot through the soundstage with pinpoint precision. More so, the sounds themselves have weight and clarity—the dynamic range is expansive—and the mix is effortlessly balanced. Meaning, no volume boosting or trimming required. I set my receiver to my usual listening level, and I don’t think I touched my remote for the duration of the film. Dialogue remains discernable in the forefront, except for a few chaotic moments when the voices are intentionally—and realistically— difficult to hear
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Avatar-Blu-ray/7847/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Less than a week!
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

toy story(s) looks super clean... but dated.
way less detail than in more recent animated flicks, and you see some blurry and stretched textures, even on rex.

still awesome however, I love the movies and it's good to have them looking their best
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I might grab Avatar on Blu-Ray if I can get it cheap enough. I would like to see it in 2D.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

The 2D version allows space for a storyline.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol:
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

Cletus wrote:The 2D version allows space for a storyline.
there was a storyline?? :shock:
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Watched Mortal Kombat 2 the other day.

Sweet flick crisp pic and good sound transfer!

[/Hide] Johnny Cage dies! {Hide]
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

hide fail!
spoiler success!
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

;)
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Watched avatar on bluray today and was blown away by the picture and sound quality, didn't know much about the movie so it was nice to sit down without outside influence and take it all in 9/10.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Watched a 1080p version of Alien. Not some shitty HDTV rip but a DTheater copy. It looked absolutely amazing, the opening scene of the ship during wake-up was mind blowing and the sheer detail and cleaness of the picture through out the movie was reference. I'm guessing the Blu-ray version coming out this year once again should be a step up.
jobbidiar

Post by jobbidiar »

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Saving-Pr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... view/8683/

Sounds great, so wish i had a proper theater setup would be amazing to see and listen to....definite buy in the near future though.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

jobbidiar wrote:http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Saving-Pr ... view/8683/

Sounds great, so wish i had a proper theater setup would be amazing to see and listen to....definite buy in the near future though.
Awesome. Can't wait.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Should have my copy next week from the us and it will sit alongside avatar as a reference disk.