Hi- def movies you've seen lately

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Avatar should arrive tomorrow.Didn't see it at the cinema but I've read the story is teh suck.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

still waiting for my copy of Close Encounters to arrive... man I have had such a hankering for that film. God I have to wait another week before I can complain that it still hasn't turned up.

I hear the soundtrack is earth shattering thanks to some tweaks for the communication scene.
edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Post by edgecrusher »

Boondock Saints II

Loved the first one and it carries onto the 2nd. Certainly did miss rocco and dafoe's character in this flick. The mexican wasnt too bad however the female FBI agent ( rita from dexter...smoking hot!! ) seemed like she was trying to hard to fill dafoe's character. It was good to see the old cops from the first one in it as well as doc who runs the irish pub. Plot was good and Connolly and the MacManus brothers havent missed a beat. Great gun fighting scenes as like the first. I hope they bring out a third ( they left it open ) because this one wasnt a dissapointment at all.

Rating the blu-ray...fantastic, what you would expect. Visually great and audio likewise, surrounds worked well and subby's got a great workout. If ya loved the first boondock saints like me, get this one too
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition on Blu-ray Cover Art and Specs

If it bleeds, we can kill it…” The ultimate warrior faces the ultimate enemy when Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition arrives on Blu-ray with a stunning new restored transfer on June 29 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. Available just in time for the theatrical debut of Predators on July 9, the Blu-ray includes $10 in Movie Money to see the latest film in theaters across the country.

Dutch (Arnold Schwarzenegger; The Terminator) wages an all-out war against an unseen enemy, a force more powerful and deadly than any on Earth-because the Predator is not of this Earth. As he leads an elite group of commandos on a rescue mission deep into the jungle, Dutch and his team quickly learn that their foe kills for pleasure and hunts for sport. However, this time….it picked the wrong man to hunt.

Directed by John McTiernan (Die Hard), Predator also stars Carl Weathers (Rocky), Michael Biehn (The Terminator) and Jesse Ventura (The Running Man). Along with a complete digital restoration of the film, the all-new Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition Blu-ray is loaded with extras including a sneak-peek at the upcoming Predators, an all-new documentary entitled “Evolution of the Species: Hunters of Extreme Perfection” featuring interviews with Predators producer Robert Rodriguez, director Nimród Antal and original Predator producer John Davis, a feature-length commentary by John McTiernan, making-of documentaries, behind-the-scenes footage and much more. The Blu-ray will be available for a suggested retail price of $29.99 U.S./$37.99 Canada.

Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition Blu-ray Special Features:

● ALL-NEW Digital Restoration of Predator
● ALL-NEW Sneak Peak at Predators
● ALL-NEW “Evolution of the Species: Hunters of Extreme Perfection” Featurette
● Feature-Length Audio Commentary by John McTiernan
● Text Commentary by Historian Eric Lichtensfeld
● “If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It” Making-Of Documentary
● “Inside The Predator” Documentary
● Special Effects Featurettes
● Deleted Scenes and Outtakes
● Short Takes
● Theatrical Trailers
● Photo Galleries
● Predator Profile
There is a Predator ultimate hunter edition coming out here June 2nd and I hope its the same as the us version here as it says. I've been waiting for a better version to come out on blu-ray since the first one is pretty shitty from what I've read

Leon: The Professional ( Directors Suite) also comes out on blu-ray July 14th
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Another version over this one?

BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

Oh shit! Fucken NICE! How are the special features bloke?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

- Director's and Theatrical Cut
- Leon - 10 year Retrospective Featurette
- Trailer
- Jean Reno: The Road To Leon - Featurette
- Natalie Portman: Starting Young - Featurette

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I have a pile of Blurays sitting on the living room floor. I am trying to watch a lot of this stuff with my friend as she hasn't seen a lot of these older cool films.

Audio is DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 - NICE!
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Finally a decent BR of Predator is on the way. The last looked like Poo, hopefully this new transfer delivers....

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment has announced Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition for release on on Blu-ray on June 29, "just in time" for the theatrical debut of Predators on July 9 (for which $10 in movie money are included with the BD). This edition of John McTiernan's 1987 action classic will feature an all-new digital restoration of the movie.

Special features include:

* Feature-length audio commentary by John McTiernan
* Text commentary by Historian Eric Lichtensfeld
* Sneak Peek at Predators (new)
* Evolution of the Species: Hunters of Extreme Perfection: featurette including interviews with Predators producer Robert Rodriguez, director Nimród Antal and original Predator producer John Davis (new)
* If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It: Making-of documentary
* Inside The Predator: documentary
* Special effects featurettes
* Deleted scenes and outtakes
* Short takes
* Theatrical trailers
* Photo galleries
* Predator profile
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

psst... guttermouth

http://games-ranch.com/forum/viewtopic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ... 786#249786
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Just got my 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.

Oh wow is this awesome.

It includes the 1977 Theatrical Cut, the 1980 Special Edition and the 1998 Directors Cut.

It has a book of about 60 pages full of details about the film and heaps of production photos. Like set shots, actor shots, stuff like that. Just beautiful.

Also includes the original 1977 movie poster, complete with a dolby system logo and the PG Parental Guidance Suggested Some material may not be suitable for pre teenagers ratings sign :D

On the back of the poster is a movie timeline guide to detail the differences between each cut of the film.

I can't wait to watch this :D Hopefully I can get people to watch this tonight. I am really excite.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

GreyWizzard wrote:psst... guttermouth

http://games-ranch.com/forum/viewtopic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ... 786#249786

SPAZ!!!!

:oops:
edgecrusher

Re: Hi- def movies you've seen lately

Post by edgecrusher »

Predator - Ultimate Hunter Edition

For those who dont know, this has been re-mastered to the shithouse because of grain in the film and how old it is and its been getting a lot of bad press about that, especially from movie nerds. They were saying how arnie etc look like cgi/wax models throughout the film. Let me just say there are 2 scenes where this was very true. At the start of the fil when arnie is talking to Carl ( Carl's face looks shit ) and then later on there is a scene ( if it bleeds, we can kill it scene ) where arnie's face looks like it was glued onto his face ( reminded me of hitler in south park its that bad ).

But saying that.....

PQ is fucking awesome for a movie that old. Some scenes ( only 2 or 3 at the start ) are dark but the detail now available in this is spectacular, the forest is brighter, deeper and in more detail. I was truly in awe on how good this movie looks besides from the 2/3 I've mentioned but that is acceptable seeing how old this movie is now. AQ is far better then its ever been.

This is far the best transfer for a old movie I've seen on blu-ray and definately well worth getting
edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

Hurt Locker

I really enjoyed it, I can see why it won more awards then avatar. PQ is what it should be for a new movie but its the Audio Quality that stands out. The Low end Bass in this movie from explosions is fucking insane. Having 2 subbys I thought that my house was going to crumble from the explosions. This will give your sub a huge workout and its the best movie to show for grouse subby goodness. The Machine guns sounds shit hot, especially the huge arse gun on one of the humvee's in the movie. Get!!

Leon: The Professional

Seeing I had only seen this movie once a long time ago when I was off my face I couldent really compare it too dvd but PQ and AQ are good for a old flick. If your a fan, its a must have

p.s it has both theactrical and directors cut
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Woo Hoo! Just ordered Batman Under The Red Hood with a Lithograph for under $30! :D (LE same price as standard on Amazon at the mo)

I love these DC animated films.
edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

Star Wars Announced for Blu-Ray
Source: Lucasfilm Ltd
August 14, 2010

Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox officially announced today that all six live-action Star Wars films will arrive on the Blu-Ray format in Fall 2011 as a commemorative box set.

The news, part of this week's Celebration V festivities, promises "the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with extensive special features – including documentaries, vintage behind-the-scenes moments, interviews, retrospectives and never-before-seen footage from the Lucasfilm archives."

“Blu-ray is the absolute best way to experience Star Wars at home – in pristine high definition,” said George Lucas of the release, “The films have never looked or sounded better.”

At this time it is unclear what versions of each film will appear in the set. Past Star Wars home video releases have focused on the updated special editions, though fan demand led to a later, unrestored release of the original theatrical version on the DVD format.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'd be happy with the latest special editions which is what I have on DVD at the mo. I can live with the rereedit of Han shooting at the same time even though we all know he shot first.

Sure Bobba sounds funny with an NZ accent... but meh.

Those later releases were shit though, they were the shitty 4:3 letter box editions.

Can't wait, and I can't wait for the Indy films to be released on br too.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

What about Hayden Christiansen in RotJ. Fuck its horrible.
edgecrusher

Post by edgecrusher »

edgecrusher wrote:
Star Wars Announced for Blu-Ray
Source: Lucasfilm Ltd
August 14, 2010

Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox officially announced today that all six live-action Star Wars films will arrive on the Blu-Ray format in Fall 2011 as a commemorative box set.

The news, part of this week's Celebration V festivities, promises "the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with extensive special features – including documentaries, vintage behind-the-scenes moments, interviews, retrospectives and never-before-seen footage from the Lucasfilm archives."

“Blu-ray is the absolute best way to experience Star Wars at home – in pristine high definition,” said George Lucas of the release, “The films have never looked or sounded better.”

At this time it is unclear what versions of each film will appear in the set. Past Star Wars home video releases have focused on the updated special editions, though fan demand led to a later, unrestored release of the original theatrical version on the DVD format.
Update:
UPDATE: The New York Times is reporting that the set will include only the updated versions of the original trilogy. "[W]hen we did the transfer to digital," Lucas is quoted as saying, "we only transferred really the upgraded version.”
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

eh... it makes sense though. Why wouldn't he look like he did before he Vadered up? I think the changes made weren't enough to affect the overall feel and story of the films. Plus RotJ is a shit film so what does it matter? Ewoks are terrible.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Because he was the good anakin once more before he died in Luke's arms. Hayden has a pedofile smile in RotJ SE. I also agree that a large portion of Jedi sucked. One of the producers just the other day revealed that the original RotJ script that George changed at the last minute had Han Solo dying, Leia coming to terms with her responsiblities as Queen at the end, whilst Luke walked alone into the distance (sort of like walking off into the sunset).

I think that would have been infinitely better than the shitty Ewok party we got (since Lucas explained he wanted every character to have a happy ending). Especially since Han Solo in RotJ was pretty much dead, considering Lucas turned him into a goddamn pussy with no charisma from the moment Luke saves his ass.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Yeah but it's got to this day the best space battle ever put on film.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Ahhhh! The cut scene from Jedi included on the bluray.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7Hb ... r_embedded[/youtube]
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

You lot are dead to me, Jedi fucken rules! Except putting in Gay-den Christensen, they oughta put in the old geezer or better yet James Earl Jones.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Fucken oath Jedi kicked ass....It had the Jabbas place shit, it had the Ranchore shit, the Sarlac shit, The big battle in space shit and Vader Vs Skywalker.....The movie ruled.

Wish they would do the seemless branching with the BR release so you can actual pick what version you want to watch. Alot of the changes never bothered me except when they replaced the Max Rebo band with that horrible CG band, frigen pathetic.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

just bought kick-ass

better be good, purchased on ranch impressions