Official NRL 2014 Thread - Souths winners by default

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Re: Official NRL 2014 Thread - Countdown with Molly Meldrum

Post by DjBigK »

I was expecting a more detailed rundown on the nines from you mx. I'm somewhat disappointed...
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Our first game we looked pretty poor, individuals looked strong but there was no team cohesion at all. Looked a bit better the second time around, but it's painfully obvious that most of these guys have never played football together before. I will say that Soward started off a little cold, but really looked strong by the end of the day.

Panthers best so far are Jamie Soward, George Jennings, Eto Nabouli and Josh Mansour. Soward with some beautiful crisp passes and taking the line on and finding space to put guys away. The other boys are just so strong and powerful, making their own space in this game.

No real standouts for playing badly, but if I had to pick one it would be Lewis Brown. He was running hard and fast, breaking tackles comfortably... but he seems to have watched SBW or Thurston highlights and thinks he is now a ball player. Trying fancy footwork to step guys, having his arm free to pass/offload and anytime he goes beyond a simple run he fucks it up. So many good strong runs came to a shitty result due to him trying to get some miracle ball away when he could have just taken the tackle, got a quick play the ball and we probably score. He looks strong, but he also looks like a fucking idiot.

Hard to see any team beating the Warriors. Shaun Johnson is just too good at this, the rest of the Warriors form a pretty strong side aswell. But he will be able to win the close games and no other player can dominate this game like he can. Also seems to be the best drop goal kicker by miles, nailing them from anywhere. Also not sure Panthers will be a match for most teams in the finals. Not with how poorly our players are reading each other at the moment.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Who wants to bet tombstone isn't even aware that the Auckland 9s are on?
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

The lack of topic updates is disgusting. No doubt because the Broncos are in the GF.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

All QLD final! :up:
Reka

Post by Reka »

The lack of topic updates is disgusting. No doubt because the Broncos are in the GF.
"Who needs top 8 when you can go the 9's?"
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/Reka.png[/img]
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The best part about pre-season is if your team comes away without any injuries. Don't give a fuck about anything else.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Yep. Panthers have quiet a few injuries to the extent our first grade team has basically picked itself now. Ontop of the injuries to Manu, Roberts, Robinson and Cartright, George Jennings dislocated his elbow today and Eto Nabouli did medial ligament damage. According to Gus, both will miss extended periods of the season.

Fucked thing is that they were two of our better looking backs. So our Round 1 side is pretty much guaranteed to be:

1. Moylan
2. Mansour
3. Idris
4. Whare
5. Simmons
6. Soward
7. Wallace
8. Grant
9. Kingston
10. Kite
11. Brown
12. Docker
13. Taylor

14. Plum
15. McKendry
16. Peachey
17. Segeyaro

Barring further injury, that's how I expect us to line-up. Pretty much the only established first graders available... and the guys close to stealing spots are either injured (Jennings, Nabouli, Cartright) or played like shit (Naiqama). Not a bad line-up, but I was optimistic about having wingers like Nabouli, Naiqama (not sucking), Roberts and so on who could actually offer some pace and cause damage from anywhere on the field.

Soward, Peachey and Segeyaro are all quicker then that back 3. Which is just shocking for an NRL side IMO.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Official NRL 2014 Thread - Boncos choke yet again

Post by Candy Arse »

I hope they're not paying much for Idris, Soward or Wallace.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

I don't think Phil Gould will pay overs for anyone except a player like Thurston, DCE, Cronk, Carney etc. as they're the only players that make a considerable difference to your teams premiership hopes.

He basically pushed the likes of Lachlan Coote, Michael Jennings, Luke Lewis out the door despite being star juniors of ours because they were on too much. Every player we have pushed out this season has been replaced by someone equal or better IMO.

Idris / Tighe
Soward / Coote
Wallace / Walsh
Peachey / Ciraldo
Taylor / Newton
K. Naiqama / T. Robinson
Kite / Masoe (downgrade)

Along with some depth for Under 20's or reserve grade in Spaun Spence, Will Smith, Wellington Albert and Lailana Latu who are supposedly rated. But I haven't seen much of. The forward pack alone is just so much stronger now that we're not going to have duds like Newton and Ciraldo lining up for us at the same time. The backline is the first established centre pairing we have had since Girdler and Whatuira. The only other centre to really lock down a spot in that time and keep is was Michael Jennings. Everyone else has been shit... showing promise at some point and never improving.

Halves are certainly still our weakness. But we're better off then we were last year. Our starting 5/8 from last year is now out for the season before it has even started (Coote with us was always injured, so not really a huge surprise), and our halfback from last year has failed to play more then 5 good games in an entire season since he arrived at Penrith.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Madmya wrote:Who wants to bet tombstone isn't even aware that the Auckland 9s are on?
I only know of one 9 this year. :lol:

Besides we all know the Warriors history, they look impressive one week, choke the next three. ;)
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

It really wasn't shocking to see Warriors choke in that final. Best team by a mile while firing, but the format of the game was completely new. Panthers for instance had their first game at 1.15pm on Saturday I think, and played again at 5.30pm on the Saturday, then 1pm on on the Sunday. All of the teams had similar breaks between games and it would have been difficult staying fired up and fit for the whole tournament. Muscles no doubt would have been sore on the second day, plus the finals format meant that the breaks between games were getting even shorter. The second and 4th pools to play were also disadvantaged when facing the first and 3rd pools having a shorter break.

Also... Sam Burgess is officially released for 2015 and will be playing Rugby Union. Souths are deadset fucked if his brothers follow him out of the place aswell.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Tombstone ya shitcunt, that was the broncos' first GF loss in their 26 year history so 'again' is bullshit and makes no sense.

Also fuck you pilon for putting him in charge.
Reka

Post by Reka »

"Grand Final". :lol:
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/Reka.png[/img]
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Madmya wrote:Tombstone ya shitcunt, that was the broncos' first GF loss in their 26 year history so 'again' is bullshit and makes no sense.

I changed to topic dickhead

also fuck off Sam Burgess, never knew you had lifelong dream to play Yawnion :rolleyes:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Madmya wrote:Tombstone ya shitcunt, that was the broncos' first GF loss in their 26 year history so 'again' is bullshit and makes no sense.

Fuck I was laughing at the topic change. It wasn't even me ya knob jockey! :rollin:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Re: Official NRL 2014 Thread - Madmya Packs the Shits.

Post by pilonv1 »

madmya should know that only me and candy use Boncos
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

It's only pre-season and the Bonco fans are cracking the shits, this is going to be a great season
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Bet he sends in angry tweets to The Footy Show as well.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Heh, Boncos. See you in the next half dozen pages or so (earlier if something bad happens to the Boncos).
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I should have realised the topic had the fingerprints of pilon all over it! Everyone will feel my Broncos-related wrath at some point this season, that I can promise.

Especially since pilon continues to use ill-informed anti-broncos topics like a hack!
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

With westical going by the wayside the weight of their slothness rests doubly upon your shoulders.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

The years of anti-broncos sentiment here will hold me in good stead to be able to cut through the crap with hard facts, and fulfil my destiny of cheering on a 2014 Broncos NRL premiership.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Good luck with that. More chance of NSW winning Origin 3-0 than the Boncos winning the premiership.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

It would require a breakthrough year for Ben Hunt for it to be a possibility. Unfortunately, I don't think Hook is a good enough coach to develop the talent like other coaches can. I'm hoping he does though, come on Benny!