Photography

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Photography

Post by Rorschach »

I know there is an old camera thread knocking around here but nothing specifically for photos. I've been taking photos since 2008 on my current DSLR (Canon 40D - still going strong) and lost interest in the hobby since coming back to Australia. However, recently I've started to get back into it after been given some encouragement by a friend to try different subjects, new software post processing and actually turn it into a little side business. I was always (and still am a little) been against excessive post processing but I think I can keep my impulses in check. Anyway, here are a few of my shots. Just a happy amateur here.

These are old photos from 5 years ago now, re-processed:

Took this one at dinner tonight. Almost left as is, just some minor WB adjustment.

Hope to see if others here have the Hobby.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Re: Photography

Post by jahooley »

Good stuff man. I'd really like to get myself a DSLR for the Grand Prix in Singapore in a few weeks. I'll have little time to learn the ropes, but my current point and shoot is arse. Any recommendations for an entry level DSLR? I'm guessing Canon is the way to go?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Mate, any of the major companies produce quality cameras. However, it all comes down to how much you have to spend, what kind of form factor you are after and if you want to develop as a photographer down the track. When I got my 40D I was hopeless at taking photos but I liked doing it so I stuck with it, I think that's the main thing - the more photos you take the better you get at it. If you wanted some thing entry level the following is what I'd recommend.

Classic form DSLRs on a budget:

Canon EOS 1100D with a kit lens - $450
Nikon 3200 with a kit lens - $430

That would get you started and you could shout yourself a decent telephoto lens if you needed distance. Best thing about DSLRs is that the only real difference between different bodies are the materials used, the sensor remains the same.

Personally, if you can afford it, I'd go for the 70D. Looks very tight and has a pretty revolutionary sensor.
Last edited by Rorschach on 03 Sep 2013 01:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

And for the record, if I was buying a camera right now the one I want is the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 with the 35mm 1.4 lens. Just a cool looking camera in a small form factor.

If money was no object definitely the Canon 5D Mark 3 with a bunch of L lenses.
KillKen
lazy
XBL ID: KillKen

Post by KillKen »

I love my dslr, I have a Canon 550d, the twin lenses pack. I also brought a EF 50mm lenses for portraits. I usually take it out and about for special events but I am very much in the beginner end of photography thou.
ImageImage
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

Rorschach wrote:Canon EOS 1100D with a kit lens - $450
Thanks Rors, I've narrowed things down to a few models but the 1100D looks the best option... basic features for a noob, HD vid looks the goods, flawless reviews and HN do it for just under $400 so I'm thinking I'll pick it up to start off and go up from there.

Soz to briefly hijack. I'll be sure to post my F1 photos here when I'm back :up:
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

That's all good. Start small and go from there. The kit lens is actually quite good - it does manage to take consistently good shots (as you can see from KillKen's shots). My only regret with my camera system is the kit lens that came with mine is fairly average. The 17-85mm 4-5.6 has great range but vignetting, barrel distortion and chromatic aberrations make it almost unusable without post processing. Still, it was a great lens to learn on and in decent light can produce quality shots. Regardless, you'll notice straight away in the quality of your photos. Just the extra sensor real estate alone makes that possible.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Did my first kids shoot today, practicing in the hope of starting something up part time. Pretty happy with results because of the 200 odd shots I took these were only some I felt comfortable working with. I need a nifty-fifty too, more light will equal more fun.

Kaspar by David the Silent, on Flickr

itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Rorschach wrote:

Something tells me you could drop a toaster in front of this subject and the results would come out beautiful, but you take a good snap as well. :up:
-------------------------------------
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Heh, she is a gorgeous girl. Great character as well, not pretensions about her.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Picked up the new Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 lens the other day. Pound for pound this has got to be the best lens on the market at the moment. I got mine for $690 which is just crazy cheap considering how bright it is. The build quality is exceptional, almost Nikkor/L-series grade. The only downside is it only fits on an APS-C camera. Only one shot thus far but heaps more to come, more than likely my walk around lens now but will look into purchasing some more of Sigma's newer lenses.

Timbo

Post by Timbo »

You could say I'm into a bit of photography... Check out my blog? :)
http://www.timhannah.com
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Haha, Free Hugs Guy is a great shot.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Cheers Gamm0r! How are you man?
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Good! Last day of exams for most of my uni buddies so we're about to hit the piss in a big way. :D

Looking forward to a few weeks off. How about yourself? Keeping busy?
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Munt is an unfortunate name...
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Haha, yeah, that's for sure. :)

Yeah, pretty busy as always. But it's all good. You still composing?
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Hey Timbo / Rorschach, I've always wondered - what's with the orange tinge on a lot of 'professional' style photos that you post? Is it the lens, added post production, a side effect of a filter, or...?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Post production mainly. Personal preference to be honest but usually I adjust the white balance to something warmer.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

To a certain point, post production. But right from the start I tend to lean the colour balance in camera very much towards the warm end by default, I just find it's more flattering with skin tones etc. :)
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

A few shots from the last couple of days shooting with my next door neighbour. (well, she's on the third floor of my apartment building, I'm on the second) :D

That's my motorbike.

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Nice one. Been busy recently. Just shooting for practice, seeing what works and what doesn't (more often than not, doesn't...)

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I am surprised no one here posted pics from the Blood Moon the other night.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.