Record Player/Vinyls

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

edgecrusher
BLUE!...YOUR MY BOY BLUE!!
PSN ID: edgecrush33

Record Player/Vinyls

Post by edgecrusher »

I'm seriously looking at buying a Record Player at the moment, Anyone got one and use it frequently?

I've had a bit of a look around and damn there are some pricey ones out there and Vinyls arnt cheap as well. Another question I got is that I do have 2 subbys hooked up to my home theatre system and am wondering if the vibrations would make the needle jump and scratch the shit out of them.
Everybody be cool.....You be cool
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: Record Player/Vinyls

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Given records spun at nightclubs for the decades prior to CDs and laptops you can rest assured a decent one will cope with wads of bass.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

There are plenty of ways to cope with vibration. You can buy things specifically to cope with it, but he uses (when necessary) about inch-high appropriate-diameter PVC-pipe and some squash balls. Don't worry about any probs you might have, if it happens they can be easily overcome :)
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

I own and would only recommend a Technics SL 1200. Industry standard for decades and I have the mkll model in black. Not cheap but it's a tank and will never fault in your lifetime. If you can't afford one of these at least go for a player with a direct drive. Belt drives are made to snap.

Have you been looking at records brand new? I reckon I've bought maybe 3 albums new out of the few hundred I own. Vinyl fairs are where it's at. Alternatively, there's a few ebay sellers from the states which throw up a shitload of albums at a time, all of them starting at .99c
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Note 1200s are no longer manufactured. That said they're legendary and are available in abundance second-hand. I agree, get one of them. :)
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I second that. the SL 1200 is what you want.

Also you can buy one at aldi for $35 for the meantime. It is the most dangerous place to shop.... I left the house for milk; I returned with a record player and drill.

You live in the vynil paradise of melbourne. Polyester, northiside records, dixons and small screen all within the same area round hipster town. Also the polyester in the CBD is especially good for metal classics. Easier to buy shit on vynil than cd almost.