Battlestar Galactica (Unmarked Spoilers, so go watch ASAP)

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

marto
Top Bloke

Post by marto »

Same
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

awful.

Is Starbuck Poochy? "My home planet needs me" *disappears from frame*

before anyone jumps on me... yes I am allowed to have an opinion; I'm not disparaging yours. You're entitled to enjoy it. But I thought it was fucking terrible.
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Not a shot at Lost - funny thing is that on a BSG forum I frequent the people who are also fans of Lost seem to have the same opinion.

Not a fan of character driven fiction then Mech?
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

WOW, such a great ending!

Like most have said, it delivered. I like how they left certain things unexplained, gives us an opportunity to come up with our own conclusions.

So many great moments.

[Click to see hidden content]
The Final Battle
The Galacticas last FTL jump.
The Chief getting revenge for Kelly.
Sams final words.
The whole 95 mins

Will miss it.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

mech wrote:awful.

before anyone jumps on me... yes I am allowed to have an opinion; I'm not disparaging yours. You're entitled to enjoy it. But I thought it was fucking terrible.
I'm going to back you to an extent. Starbuck's ending was a rip off. I'd have rather seen her and Lee just standing together at the end. It didn't work for me because even at the end it seemed that all she knew was that she was tired and then she was gone. Lee pushing for abandoning technology didn't seem to fit with his character either.

So what was the point of saving Hera? The only point I can see is that the rescue mission itself resulted in the complete destruction of the Cylon colony. Hera herself didn't seem to actually have any significance after that other than to be an archaeological find (likely the missing link) . I'm glad Helo didn't bleed out.

Regarding Six and Baltar and Head Six and Head Baltar. Are we to assume the physical versions of them just grew old and died while the Head pair were angels? I'm ok with that...far happier to accept that than Starbuck's end. I'd just like some clarification.

150000 years in the future didn't sit well with me either. I'd have liked it to be a 5000 year jump. Athena, Hera, Apollo perhaps being the reason for Greek and perhaps Egyptian mythology. Arriving at the advent of the demise of Neanderthal man just seems too far back.

I read somewhere that Baltar's last remark about God not liking being called that is probably a reference to Jimmy Hendrix being called God in his time and not liking it at all.

Should a Cylon base ship have jumped in over the top of Manhattan at the end there? I've read a lot of comments saying it should have been. I tend to agree. The robot montage was cheesy. A Base ship would have left us stunned.

-------------------------------------------------

For the most part, I liked what they did to end the series. Kara screaming "Jump" worked perfectly. Seeing Galactica floating over what was instantly obvious to be our own moon was almost cheer worthy. Finding Earth a second time was a stroke of genius by the writers. Putting the Lawyer up as the new President was a great choice. I liked him. He was a great character. Madam President's final moments were beautifully written and acted. I'm going to miss Tigh and the Old Man. I'm going to miss Baltar and Six. I'm going to miss Kara Thrace. And as I always felt, Baltar seems to have been (arguably) the most important character in the series.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

mech wrote:awful.

:lol: I can see how it looked like that!

I was actually pretty happy with how Starbuck exited. As I was watching I just knew she was going to disappear. It seemed pretty obvious. I thought oh no she's going to disolve into orbs of light and fly away which just really wouldn't have fit with the show. Just disappearing off camera was a much better way to handle it. Kind of felt bad for lee being left all alone.

It explained how Kara came back without her having to be a cylon. She wasn't a cylon or human. She was resurrected by God to complete her destiny. Doesn't explain how her viper got all the way to Earth 1.0 but hey.

I think disgarding technology was not too much of a stretch. These people have spent 4 years cramped on ships without much in the way of comforts anyway. Especially after they blew up Cloud 9. They've probably had plenty of time to come to hate technology since it was ulitmately that which led to their end.

Saving Hera was probably more about coming together than anything else. Cylons and humans had to learn to live together. Hera was a symbol of that union.

I thought the same about the time that they arrived. I thought that Baltar's story may have ended up being worked into the story of Jesus or something. But really when could they have arrived but before homosapiens? It fits in well with the mystery of our evolution. How neanderthal man and homosapiens existed at the same time and the theory that the neanderthals may have died out through breading with homosapiens. Maybe just in this universe alot of the colonial history was passed down through the generations ultimately rising again as the religious beliefs of the greeks, romans, etc.

As for a cylon baseship appearing over manhattan. Was it needed? No. Would it have been cool? Yes! That would have been a real shock if it jumped in above the city and the last shot was everyone looking up at it. Would have changed the whole feel of the ending though.

The things I'd question I suppose were how many cylons settled on earth? They never really said how many were on the baseship. Were there 20? Were there millions? They only really talked about the 38000 humans. Also even if they all did decide to discard technology they're still an advanced society of humans (any even more technologically advanced cylons) and although might have done away with what they came with they would still know the basics of forging steel, cultivation, medical knowledge and other basics of advanced civilisation which would ultimately have changed the timeline of the evolution of human civilisation as we know it (and as depicted in the final sequence of the show) greatly to the point where 150 000 years later we would have been way past the early stages of toy robots.

Still it was an awesome finale. It had to end somehow and I thought it was done really well.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

mech otm. Apart from everything else that was shit about it, a load of ancient sort-of-humans invents presidents and English and computers and networks and military ranks, and 150,000 years later all that just happens to be invented all over again? What shite.
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Also, Adama gets in a plane and Lee is all 'we'll never see him again'? How the fuck did he draw that conclusion? And ANGELS?? Fuck off.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

In regard to that, I thought Lee stated the obvious. It made sense that Adama would call it quits with the rest of the colony. He'd never be left in peace. He'd always be looked upon in times of trouble. If things went wrong he'd be blamed. That's what I thought anyway. He'd done his part and was spent.
Texas

Post by Texas »

Spot on Cletus. He'd done his bit and wanted to spend what little time he had left with Rosalyn.

As for Hera: remember at that stage both the Colonials and the Cylons still believed she held the key to humanity's future... and that Cavill would learn resurrection from Hera's DNA thereby giving him what he needed to continue his plan.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I was quite happy with that ending. It's good to see a show end the way the writers intended it to.
Vzzzbx wrote: a load of ancient sort-of-humans invents presidents and English and computers and networks and military ranks, and 150,000 years later all that just happens to be invented all over again?
Well, we can safely disregard the English bit as storytelling convenience, but the whole "all of this has happened before etc" aspect was played up big time during the whole series, and you're only questioning it now?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I do find it curious though, that Earth 1.0 and Earth 2.0 had the same geography...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Texas

Post by Texas »

Did we see enough establishing shots of Earth 1 to tell that?
Gr8ness

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

yes, they showed North America quite clearly at the end of Season 3
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

That was the zoom out from the nebula. They never actually showed the continents when they got to Earth 1.0. Just cloud obscured terrain.

So they showed us the real earth before they showed us the fake one.
Texas

Post by Texas »

OH SNAP! Well spotted Mavy!
Gr8ness

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Ah. Hrm.

...either way, I love the interpretation of All Along The Watch Tower they've been bashing out
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Cletus wrote: It didn't work for me because even at the end it seemed that all she knew was that she was tired and then she was gone. Lee pushing for abandoning technology didn't seem to fit with his character either.
Nah, her words were "Neither am I [coming back]. I just know that I am done here. I've completed my journey, and it feels good"

I'll buy the angels story because they've been harping on about religion for the whole series. It's been practically one of the cornerstones of the plot.

That doesn't mean I'm entirely happy about it, but it does fit the story.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

It was awesome. Best series on TV.
Mightycooper
The Sorrow

Post by Mightycooper »

Just finished watching it. WOW i thought it was an awesome end to one of the best shows i have ever watched.
Theres a technique for everything
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

unfnknblvbl wrote:the whole "all of this has happened before etc" aspect was played up big time during the whole series, and you're only questioning it now?
cop-out

btw all this latter-day whinging of mine undermines the enormous respect I have for this show.
Vzzzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

unfnknblvbl wrote:I do find it curious though, that Earth 1.0 and Earth 2.0 had the same geography...
That one was Earth, this one was Golgafrincham.
mech

Post by mech »

That's part of the reason I'm attacking it, thinking back to when it was in its prime, it had so much potential. Then like 6 eps before the end it was awesome again - then promptly turned to poo again.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

I think it was a tops ending. WTF with Apollo looking like Ace Rimmer in the last few eps, was he taking the piss with that hair?

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

yeah, that hair was weird shit.

Anyway, I just came back in here to express my undying love for that version on All Along the Watchtower. I'm neither a Dylan nor a Hendrix fan, so I'd never really listened to it before. That violin solo! Fuck!