R.I.P Nelson Mandela 1918 - 2013

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: R.I.P Nelson Mandela 1918 - 2013

Post by unfnknblvbl »

are we derailing the thread with Holden talk now?

Good.
I wouldn't have minded so much about the government funding if they'd just bloody well made a car that people wanted. Then they'd have needed less funding. How hard would it have been for them to come up with cars to compete against the Mazda 3 and the Toyota 86? I'd pay a premium for a locally made MR2 or 86 equivalent, and I'm sure plenty of other people would too. Instead, we got the ageing Commodore and the neither-here-nor-there Cruze.

Granted, Holden's inability to cope with the changing marketplace is probably down to being part of the lumbering conglomerate that is GM, but the writing has been on the wall for a good 15 years or more. More than enough time time to implement a real change.

What I'd like to see is a new local car building industry spring up - more boutique and lower volume, but more able to cope with changing trends. If I had a bucket of money lying around, I'd be snapping up the local talent to build cars of my own, dammit.

/rant
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Re: R.I.P Nelson Mandela 1918 - 2013

Post by guttermouth »

If all government fleet cars, all council driven cars, all government run organization all who where supplied with tax funded cars drove only Australian made cars, the car industry would not be in the shitter. Top this off with any business or anyone who wants tax funded cars you must buy Australian. Is it this easy?? Not one single government has done anything remotely decent that has help.....ohhhh let's through millions of tax money to massively profitable companies...