Netflix confirmed for Australia in 2015 according to Village

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

flipswitch
que
que

Netflix confirmed for Australia in 2015 according to Village

Post by flipswitch »

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/netflix-con ... dshow-ceo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to Graham Burke, joint head of Village Roadshow, Netflix is set for a 2015 launch into the Australian market.
by Nic Healey
@dr_nic 27 June 2014, 11:25 AM AEST

According to the co-CEO of film distributor and production company Village Roadshow, behind such films as The Matrix trilogy and "The Great Gatsby", US video streaming service Netflix is definitely making a move into the Australian market.

The comments were made to CNET's sister site ZDNet, where Graham Burke told Josh Taylor that Netflix was "talking to our people about supply of products, so they are opening and coming to Australia".

While Burke didn't mention timing of the launch to Taylor, in a separate interview he told CNET's Claire Reilly that it was "pretty widely known that Netflix is opening operation in Australia next year".

Rumours have run rampant about an Australian version of Netflix for years now. Last year, The Australian reported that the number of Aussies getting around geo-block to use the service had swayed Netflix into opening locally.

Netflix has indeed been popular with Australians, who use VPNs to get the service from the US. The practice of getting around geo-blocks on content delivery services exists in a quasi-legal state. Speaking to ZDNet last year, IT lawyer for IDEALAW Matt Phipps said that while the streaming of the content would not be in violation of copyright law in Australia, breaching the terms of use to access a streaming site could be considered a crime.

The practice has also been compared to piracy, with the Australian film group ScreenLaunch saying that "viewing international video sites is no more right than bittorrent films". However, consumer watchdog Choice has recommend the use of VPNs, even offering advice on setting them up.

If Netflix does launch into Australia next year, as Burke suggests, Aussies who are already subscribers may find themselves disappointed. It's seems highly unlikely that the service will keep a monthly fee as low its current US$7.99. Distribution deals will also alter, meaning that the content offering could be significantly different locally than to the US.

No matter what happens, with the video streaming market on the rise in Australia, it will be interesting to see what the arrival of such a large player does for the local market.
As I expected. If it does arrive next year, we'll be paying more than the US and possibly have lesser titles to watch.
Using a VPN service plus US Netflix will be a better option.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Re: Netflix confirmed for Australia in 2015 according to Vil

Post by Gamma »

Hopefully once it has launched here, Netflix will continue to not give a shit about breaches of the terms of use necessary to access the US version. It wouldn't make any sense to shut down paying customers at the moment, but when there's a local alternative (that will likely have a higher subscription fee), things might change. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

Also, granted this Phipps bloke is a lawyer and I'm very much not, but it's hard to believe breaching the terms of use (which are obviously set by Netflix) could ever be a crime in itself. Grounds for Netflix to terminate your account, sure, but a crime? Nah.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Will believe it when I see it. Hopefully it has similar content to the US with some good local content too. Otherwise why change if you're already getting the US version?
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Errr, Netflix is already more expensive than $7.99 in the US. Nice reporting.

Also everyone knows that Josh Taylor is Ants in the Pants right?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Somebody should meak him a mod.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

Image Image

Is Josh Taylor aka Ants in the Pants openly gay or still closeted? :?

Get it gurl! :wink:
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

If he is I'd hate to be on the receiving end, he's about 9ft tall!!! :shock:
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

As a professional cocksucker, I can assure you that just because a man is tall - doesn't mean he has a large penis. In my experience, penis length is not determined by one's height.

General Cyber-Spunk-In-The-Junk, as a fellow professional cocksucker - your thoughts concerning this pivotal matter would be greatly appreciated.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Gay people would own more than one shirt.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Jasper wrote:As a professional cocksucker, I can assure you that just because a man is tall - doesn't mean he has a large penis. In my experience, penis length is not determined by one's height.

General Cyber-Spunk-In-The-Junk, as a fellow professional cocksucker - your thoughts concerning this pivotal matter would be greatly appreciated.
Why yes.. I have plenty of spunk in my junk. How nice of you to compliment me on my sperm production...

You're right though. Tall man doesn't always been huge dong.

Why is this even being discussed anyway?
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Hercy wrote:Gay people would own more than one shirt.
And here's another photo of Josh wearing the same exact above jumper and tie (oh, an earring)....

And same exact jacket....

But i'm confused because Josh totally has a "gayface", especially in this photo....

Last edited by Jasper on 07 Jul 2014 04:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Because Jasper in 5"7 and Ants is 6"10.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

And Jasper probably still has a hairier arse than him.. which must be very depressing considering how much work Jasper's had done.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Nothing a little laser hair removal can't fix....

Before:

After:

GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Found that cure for a collapsed fauxgina yet?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Only a Melbournian would notice that.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

GeneraL CyberFunK wrote:Found that cure for a collapsed fauxgina yet?
Yes.

His name is "Al". He stuffed my collapsed fauxgina right back into shape by ramming it in and out with his cock.

I hope you contract my gonorrhea when he's barebacking you later tonight.

:keke:
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

What I find amusing is how you insist on bringing my partner into this. You have no decent material so you stretch the same shit out as much as you can... kinda like the Wii U really.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Jasper wrote:

pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Madmya wrote:
Only a Melbournian would notice that.
I figured the ABC had a shit wardrobe department
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Netflix app is available on ps4. Launches on the 24th.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/03/sign- ... e-netflix/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Optus also have a deal with Netflix on the above link. It's also unmetered.
Netflix is launching in Australia in a couple of weeks, so it’s good timing for Optus to get on board with streaming video. If you’re a new or re-contracting Optus customer — whether it’s for home broadband, or for postpaid or prepaid mobile or mobile broadband — you can pick yourself up a free Netflix subscription.

On the face of it, the deal looks pretty sweet. Starting on the Netflix Australia launch date of March 24, if you sign up to Optus, you’ll get yourself a six-month free subscription to Netflix. There are caveats, of course; the plan you sign up to has to be worth $60 or above on a 24 month contract.

If you sign on the dotted line for a prepaid mobile phone or mobile broadband service with Optus — which necessarily means there’s no ongoing contract — you’ll score yourself a three-month subscription to Netflix. The deal that Optus is struck means that it’s not exactly a middleman, but when you sign up for a new Optus plan you’ll get a coupon code that gives you three or six months when you sign up to the Aussie version of Netflix.

Optus is setting itself up as one of the premier ISPs for Netflix addicts in Australia, since it’ll let you stream that Netflix goodness without impacting your (home broadband) data quota in the slightest. That deal starts from 17 April, a couple of weeks after the initial launch, because there’s a bit of technical behind-the-scenes work that still has to be done. Similarly, you’ll be able to access Netflix on Optus’ Fetch TV service, and even on mobile the automatic data top-up bumps you up to the next data tier (adding 1GB at a time for $10 at a time) if you hit your cap with a sneaky bit of Netflix streaming on the bus into work.

Optus doesn’t have any more information to share right now on the exact details of the unmetered data partnership, but going on what Netflix has told Gizmodo previously, it could involve access to a locally hosted server with Netflix content on it. We’re still checking in with Optus on the finer points of the Netflix deal — whether you’ll be able to watch unmetered on any device, for example. We’ll let you know as soon as they get back in touch. [Optus]
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

jizzlobber wrote:If he is I'd hate to be on the receiving end, he's about 9ft tall!!! :shock:
Wow, he should play basketball.
-------------------------------------
itch
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by itch »

Anyone else trying the free trial of Stan? (stan.com.au)

It's a great way to watch 'Better Call Saul' for the time being.

Just cancel before it rolls over. (or not, I'm considering keeping it the selection is decent)
-------------------------------------
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Well that kind of sucks. I only signed with Optus a few weeks back... Getting 6 months of Netflix free would have been nice.