Windows 10

Talk about everything but gaming in here!

Moderators: pilonv1, Juzbuffa

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: Windows 10

Post by lestat »

My brother works with unity, I only use c# occasionally for win32 desktop ui these days, my work is mostly c++/python on linux, that's becoming the norm in the finance space, java is also very common but I do very little of that these days. Then there is the odd hacking around in javascript/php for web stuff.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

So far IE is spitting out certificate errors and the MS account log in window tells me something went wrong without an error code.

This OS is awesome!
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Fixed. The date was hideously out.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Still stuck on win8, but upgrading to win10 has me worried.

(This is probably old news for most, but new for me).

Can't copy and paste atm so had to take a screenshot.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology ... ns-6187498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How do guys get around this?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

don't use Cortana. It's not a kill-all solution, but whatever, I'm not really all that fussed. I also don't use any of the bundles MS apps; my email is via secured connection in Chrome (although I guess Google gets all the info about that, hahaha).

The OS is just infinitely nicer to use than 8.1
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I haven't been able to get the old style control panel to work in forever. I could work through it... but eff that. I'm worried I might have to create a new profile to get it all going...
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

start -> type "control panel"
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I do know a little thing about computers... :rolleyes:

CP crashes out when I attempt to run it. I can run the shitty Win10 skin wrapped version but not the proper version. Used to work fine but since the big cortana update it stopped working. There is some trouble shooting I can do by running in safe mode but I'm too lazy... Plus it's not a big deal if I don't think about it. Just don't look just don't look.

I'm just annoyed that something that worked has stopped working after an OS update and when I spoke to support they were kind of lost about the issue.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I have win10 arriving this week, possibly Wednesday. Not looking forward to formatting and installing it plus gigs worth of games and updates...

Edit: updated yesterday, everything went smoothly, no issues. Yey I'm dx12 ready, just waiting for those nvidia cards to drop.

Edit:2 opening task manager, using very little ram use even with steam open, it's showing about 1.5gb in use. :).

Huge improvement in the user interface over win 8.0. Everything is easy to find. Very impressed.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Every now and then my desktop freezes after booting including mouse. Can't do nothing but restart.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

I absolutely love it.

Got myself a NUC, a 1440p monitor and a super slim apple style cordless keyboard and mouse and gone super minimal. So good.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Yeah, I had a few W10 niggles...but they seemed to disappear after a few weeks. I'd shut down the OS but the tower would stay on or I'd lose right click on my task bar forcing me to reboot. Rebooting my Surface Pro since it went over to W10 has also been a bit hit and miss. Still is.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I think I have found the cause of the random freezes at desktop. I unplugged my Xbox 360 wireless adapter, and it hasn't froze since.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Free upgrade to Win 10 offer expires tonight.

I've made a disk image of my current Canadian edition of Win 7, am about to upgrade it and then do an image of 10, then restore back to 7. I'm sure one day down the line I'll want to start using 10.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

New Windows anniversary update out, mine gets stuck and freezes at 23% installation!.

How's everyone else going?
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

How did you end up? Seems a few people got stuck at 23%.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Tried it a second time with some things unplugged from my computer but got the same result. Leaving it as it is for now.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I've installed it on my desktop and my wife's desktop. Going to install it on my Surface Pro now.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

My upgrade ok.
Ambrose Burnside

Game Mode. Do not understand.

Shouldn't the OS prioritise the game anyway?

If you're a PC gamer you wouldn't have a lot of shit running in the background that can slow things down anyway. And even if you do have a lot running, you probably have a powerful PC so it doesn't matter.
If you do have a PC riddled with crap where some sort of Game Mode might help, you wouldn't be playing the types of games where a Game Mode will help anyway.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

yeah, I don't understand it either. Maybe it's a way of Microsoft implementing Android's multitasking in a desktop OS? In which case, it doesn't make sense
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I think it's just a way for them to bring more xbone to PC. Lots of console games have strict reservation policies on system resources and developers depend on that. It will help with the bad port problem PC has sometimes.
Ambrose Burnside

lestat wrote:I think it's just a way for them to bring more xbone to PC. Lots of console games have strict reservation policies on system resources and developers depend on that. It will help with the bad port problem PC has sometimes.
Sounds logical, but this is Microsoft we're talking about:
As a Universal Windows Platform title I expected Forza Horizon 3 to provide me with the most obvious instance of Game Mode’s capabilities. How very wrong I was, in fact Game Mode seems to absolutely tank the Forza’s performance.

By turning Game Mode on when you’re running the GameDVR feature you’re losing between 13-23% and 9-15% gaming performance on the AMD and Nvidia cards respectively.

That’s a massive drop. A massive, unjustifiable drop. I’d be fine with Game Mode simply failing to work, not boosting frame rates, but when it manages to utterly castrate them I’m definitely not sold.

The CPU graphs make for very interesting viewing with Forza. You can see without any of the Windows’ gaming features enabled Forza is already greedily gobbling up almost an entire single thread on its own. But with Game Mode turned on the whole thing is swallowed up, as well as most of the next two threads along, while most of my processors’ threads are doing less than without Game Mode’s interference.

To my not-a-game-programmer's eye it looks like Forza Horizon 3 is very much coded to run on a single thread and with Game Mode enabled it chooses to absolutely max that one thread out and bunches up all the other game processes into fewer threads, potentially leading to more bottlenecking. It’s possible that more multi-threaded games will benefit from Game Mode, while old-school single-thread reliant titles might not see anything positive at all.
Source

Microsoft 101: Think up a cool-sounding solution to a problem no one had, rush it out before it's ready, cop a shitload of abuse, wonder why their market share is tanking, think up another cool-sounding solution to a problem no one had, rinse and repeat :|

Fuck me it's frustrating.